When and If Orbiter gets Multiplayer, What would you like to do or be able to do?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Think about it...Orbiter doesn't have a vessel-vessel collision model on its own. What damage model it has is entirely restricted to malfunction or reentry damage.

To clear up any possible confusion on the topic: actually the Orbiter core has zero damage modeling built-in: implementation is left entirely up to each add-on vessel developer. In other words, there are no restrictions on the type of damage you can have in a vessel: you can model whatever damageable systems you want in your vessel, but you (the vessel author) have to code it yourself.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To clear up any possible confusion on the topic: actually the Orbiter core has zero damage modeling built-in: implementation is left entirely up to each add-on vessel developer. In other words, there are no restrictions on the type of damage you can have in a vessel: you can model whatever damageable systems you want in your vessel, but you (the vessel author) have to code it yourself.
I was referring to the default Deltaglider's simple damage model (breaking elevons,) and that it contains no examples for more complex damage. You're right, though; sorry.

StevoPistolero

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, if there was decent multiplayer, I could always intercept some unsuspecting target and go "ack ack ack!"

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Well, if there was decent multiplayer, I could always intercept some unsuspecting target and go "ack ack ack!"

And that pretty much sums up all that I think is wrong with multiplayer and the main reason I want to keep multiplayer and Orbiter seperate.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
And that pretty much sums up all that I think is wrong with multiplayer and the main reason I want to keep multiplayer and Orbiter seperate.

Well, I guess that pretty much sums up all that is wrong with mankind. And multiplayer real-life is already here ;) .

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Yes, that is what I predicted before. So, people like me would be needed to just lurk around in a menacing stealth battle-cruiser and wait for newbie-hunters like you to go Jethro Gibbs on you.

It doesn't fit well to the technological liberalism of Orbiter.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I predicted before. So, people like me would be needed to just lurk around in a menacing stealth battle-cruiser and wait for newbie-hunters like you to go Jethro Gibbs on you.

It doesn't fit well to the technological liberalism of Orbiter.
stealthbattlecruiser.png

Uh oh...

I suppose you could set up a Molniya orbit with apoapsis over the ISS's ascending node, giving you a long window in which to snipe unsuspecting Orbinauts trying to align planes. Or a high orbit travelling over both nodes, so you can snipe them all day. :hmm:

Last edited:

StevoPistolero

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I think it is very important to have a "no collisions" option for orbiter, so other people don't mess with you.

But come on! What is the harm in a little laser tag now and then.

And no one has even stopped to mention that space combat is truly the final frontier. No one has any clue what it would be like. We orbinauts could pioneer it.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The thing is, with ASATs you already can go ack ack ack in Orbiter (yes, done that myelf).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Uh oh...

Or a high orbit travelling over both nodes, so you can snipe them all day. :hmm:

Why not wait at the L1 and then use excessive DV for a 12 minute transfer? ;)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How far away are we from multiplayer orbiter?
Orbiter multiplayer will arrive when people stop asking for it or demanding it, and instead start working on it or helping those who are already working on it.

StevoPistolero

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Dude, not all of us can program. Sorry. Don't blame me because I don't write code.

I'll make you a pretty spaceship though.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Dude, not all of us can program. Sorry. Don't blame me because I don't write code.

I'll make you a pretty spaceship though.
Everyone can code, just not everyone can be bothered to learn.

Even if you "can't" code, there are plenty of ways for you to help out a development effort.

Pestering the developers isn't one of them.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
And no one has even stopped to mention that space combat is truly the final frontier. No one has any clue what it would be like. We orbinauts could pioneer it.

Actually, I would say I know exactly what it would be like: slow and boring.

Sure, I could sit for 45 minutes and hope that my target is oblivious enough to not notice my kinetic missile slowly gaining speed to intersect his orbit (hoping all the while that he doesn't make any kind of plane change; I already used up all my fuel on the intercept burn, I can't very well deal with a 1 degree plane difference at this point). Or I could be doing anything else in Orbiter, at all. I gotta say, the latter sounds more fun.

StevoPistolero

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looking at Attack Vector: Tactical, I am certain that space combat is anything but slow and boring. It would be pretty fast and furious.

Heilor, you say it is easy to make an MFD in orbiter? Great! Sign me up! I will make my own statistics-based combat MFD! It is so easy, right! Where are the tutorials!