Question Whats the best Sci-fi movie/tv series?

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Also Sunshine is the closest that any movie got to making me cry, but my record still holds strong. :lol:

Yes it does... Capa is the only guy who can deliver the payload and yet they put him in all the dangerous missions. I won't even go near the other plot black holes...

Also Highlander (The first one, oh dear :probe: make sure it is the first one!) is a great sci-fi/action movie. :)

Highlander is one of the great '80s movies but it's fantasy, not SF.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes it does... Capa is the only guy who can deliver the payload and yet they put him in all the dangerous missions. I won't even go near the other plot black holes...

I do like it a lot for the smooth transition from classical 2001-style scifi into psychotic horror. While the script might have its holes, the director certainly knew what he was doing.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Highlander is one of the great '80s movies but it's fantasy, not SF.
Highlander was ridiculous.

No one has mentioned any of the Sci-Fi (now Sy-Fy) channel original movie classics, like Dinocroc v.s. Supergator. Good for a laugh if nothing else...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Highlander was ridiculous.

Not more than other fantasy movies can get. It simply lacked proper storytelling, but it had a hellish great sound track. Something it has in common with "Stardust".

What should be mentioned is "Raumpatrollie Orion", simply because it was the first great Sci-Fi series, and despite all horror of the 60s pop culture, it also was effectively the prototype for "Star Trek", even if all people involved in Star Trek deny this. It was chronologically earlier and Star Trek later had many similarities to the German series... It is some sort of cult classic now here, I first saw it as later born inside the local arts museum.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipe...antastischen_Abenteuer_des_Raumschiffes_Orion

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What should be mentioned is "Raumpatrollie Orion"

I actually thought about mentioning it, but in the end didn't do it because it exists only in german. Anyways, let's grill those frogs!

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Off Topic:
Hello to all orbinauts. I should probably write somethink about me in Meets&Greets forum in the first place :). Well I'm gonna do so, when I'll find myself in a proper mood :)
End of Off Topic

I've come up with another movie I like :cool: It's "Event Horizon".

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also Highlander (The first one, oh dear :probe: make sure it is the first one!) is a great sci-fi/action movie. :)

Darren

The others don't even exist in my world. As far as Highlander is concerned, "There can be only one."

Although I liked the series, it is still not movie canon, and as such I consider it sort of an "artist's interpretation."

FYI, when there is a task that I absolutely abhor doing or something I refuse to acknowledge, I have been know to respond with "I'd sooner acknowledge the existence of the second Highlander movie than...."

According to IMDB, it is Action/Fantasy, not sci-fi, so I have to agree that it isn't a valid suggestion in this thread regardless of whether it is one of the most awesome movies ever made.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I enjoyed Firefly, it was an interesting space opera/steampunk/frontier western crossblend with a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor.

Wash: "[River is] psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction."
Zoë (genre-savvy): "We live in a spaceship, dear."
Wash (clueless): "So?"

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Not according to my Video Ezy. :lol:

Well, your Video Ezy then needs a tune-up. SF needs at least some form of rational explanation on why things are the way they are, and none are offered in Highlander. Immortals just are. The Quickening has no scientific explanation. The Gathering is never explained, as well.

Highlnander is "low fantasy" - a tale set in our world with a few fantastic elements in. Certainly not SF.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If you go by posting movies by pure awesomeness, we should need to include the seven Samurai... ;)

Still...what about "WALL-E"? I think it is also an awesome film, though the science fiction in it is not the dominant part. ;) The future there is even much more dystopia than many classic sci-fi movies, despite being bright and colorful ...and very boring.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, speaking of movies about the future, that reminds me of the Sylvester Stallone/Wesley Snipes sci-fi/action movie Demolition Man. Self-driving cars, Utopian society where technology keeps everyone in line with the demerit system (what the hell was up with the 3 seashells, though? I want an explanation!) and the toughest criminals are kept in cryo rather than wasting money keeping them alive.

Which then makes me think of Logan's Run. A classic, though I find it very boring in many parts. A story of futuristic Utopian society that also addresses the problem of old age by 'terminating' everyone in a ceremony called Carousel when they turn 30.

And you can't talk classic sci-fi without at least mentioning The Time Machine, a mediocre but not bad adaptation of HG Wells' novel.

And of course there's Warehouse 13 (series).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
what the hell was up with the 3 seashells, though? I want an explanation!

Do you want to say you have no seashells in the USA? How...isn't that a bit unhygienic? :rofl:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Well, your Video Ezy then needs a tune-up. SF needs at least some form of rational explanation on why things are the way they are, and none are offered in Highlander. Immortals just are. The Quickening has no scientific explanation. The Gathering is never explained, as well.

Highlnander is "low fantasy" - a tale set in our world with a few fantastic elements in. Certainly not SF.
I know, I was just talking about my Video Ezy being dumb, I know it isn't Sci-Fi. :p

Darren

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Star Trek (all of them, although some episodes of Voyager *cough* Threshold *cough* were absolutely terrible). Deep Space 9 was probably my favorite.
2001 and 2010 are also good. I hadn't read 2001 before I saw the movie and it made virtually no sense, but 2010 cleared everything up for me.

I think I'll start watching Firefly soon.

count_volta

Ukranian space nut
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the X Files. Also Star Trek, the original series. Star Wars is cool. Oh and Don't forget the original Twilight Zone.

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
I read in this thread somewhere about the series "Firefly" . So It took me 3 days and I watched all 14 episodes and then the serenity movie streamed via netflix through my pc into my tv. I have to say, That was a kick - :censored: series. It is now at the top of my favorite sci-fi, if not THE favorite. But now Im sad the ride is over. I cant believe they cancelled that show after only 14 episodes. So now here I am.... *sigh*! Well there is hope... I still have DA--> :probe:

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Glad I found this thread...
My most watched Sci-fi at the moment are the Stargates, which I watch online. The new series or branch off, Universe, is beginning to get enjoyable and I love the way they move the camera like they did in the Galactica series. It has a raw edge which the other Stargates didn't have so I'm looking forward to seeing how this continues and what their mission is.
Galactica, well that was different in so many ways and created alot of questions that the finale left unanswered. Humanity is a paradox, as I have always suspected. The Caprica spinn off blow it. I think they should have kept it going without a overly inflated storyline. I was however sorry to hear of it's cancellation. It would have been nice to see Cylon developement and the WAR. They screw'd up an exellent opertunity there.

I grew up on Startrek and enjoyed the Next Generation. Voyager was by far the better out of the two and DS9 I found got better as it went. The first series didn't capture me, but as the galaxy became embrioled in war... well enough said.

Sci- Fi, the ulitmnate veiwing experience that every kid should watch and every adult should promote. :)