Question Whats the best Sci-fi movie/tv series?

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well there's the six Star Wars movies, obviously. Physics are horrendous, but it's a classic.

The latest rendition of Battlestar Galactica was amazing, but it's fairly dark.

I happen to love Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick. Again, physics aren't so good, but it has a fascinating storyline.

Stargate SG-1 is okay. I personally didn't fall in love with it like so many have. But I tend to be an outlier when it comes to Sci-Fi cinema-- I can't stand 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Tommy

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised to see nobody has mentioned Starship Troopers. While the movie left a lot to be desired, what remains of the social issues brought up in the book is interesting.

Also, though not so much about spaceflight, Gattica was quite good.

As for Firefly, try to watch the series BEFORE watching the movie (Serenity). I've been frustrated several times by the attempts (and subsequent failures) to re-start this series. When the series was canceled, the ongoing plot lines (such as "who are the Reavers", and "what's up with the crazy chick") were unresolved. The Movie (Serenity) doesn't so much take up where the series left off - it attempts to sum up two or three seasons worth of "Firefly" in one movie, giving the resolution to those plot lines.

I'll also recommend, just for the fun of it, Doctor Who. It's a classic - no two ways about it.

Polaris

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised to see nobody has mentioned Starship Troopers. While the movie left a lot to be desired, what remains of the social issues brought up in the book is interesting.

The film was nominated the most watchable bad movie by Entertainment Weekly. Speaking of "Starship Troopers", I'm suprised no one brought up "Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles", the film's cartoon spinoff.

fort

Reaction score
The man who fell to Earth :rofl:
and Solaris :tiphat:

Screamer

Reaction score
My Favourites

Here is my best movies and TV series
Apollo 13 , but it is factional. A very good movie to watch.
1 Contact
2 2010 (I like it more than 2001)
3 Deep Impact
4 Star Wars series
5 Avatar
6 Star Trek series

That is the movies that stuck in my mind....
If there could be a Rendezvous with Rama movie....
Did any body saw Impact. Not Deep Impact, just Impact. I was a TV series released in 2008/2009
It could also be a very good movie, but they screw it up with very bad science.
It was about a piece of a brown dwarf hitting the moon and altered it mass..........putting it on a collision course with Earth. As I say, it have very bad science it it. The script writers had some very good ideas though.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did any body saw Impact. Not Deep Impact, just Impact. I was a TV series released in 2008/2009
It could also be a very good movie, but they screw it up with very bad science.
It was about a piece of a brown dwarf hitting the moon and altered it mass..........putting it on a collision course with Earth. As I say, it have very bad science it it. The script writers had some very good ideas though.
Was that the one where stuff (cars, people) spontaneously flew up into the air because of 'gravity anomalies' caused by the brown dwarf chunk?

Screamer

Reaction score
Was that the one where stuff (cars, people) spontaneously flew up into the air because of 'gravity anomalies' caused by the brown dwarf chunk?
Yip, That's the one.:)

movieman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The film was nominated the most watchable bad movie by Entertainment Weekly.

'Starship Troopers' is brilliant; if reviewers think it's a bad movie then I think they missed the point. However, it's a satire on US militarism, and hence has little to do with SF.

I have a similar problem with 'Firefly', in that it's basically a Western with spaceships. Obviously 'Star Trek' was often considered that way too, but there were plenty of stories which couldn't really be told in the same way in a Western setting.

I'm actually having a hard time thinking of 'SF' shows that really are SF and couldn't be done just as well in a more traditional genre.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
'Starship Troopers' is brilliant; if reviewers think it's a bad movie then I think they missed the point. However, it's a satire on US militarism, and hence has little to do with SF.

Also it has a lot of beef with modern consumerism...still it IMHO missed the point of the novel.

That is IMHO why the David Lynch "Dune" will remain the best adaption of the Herbert novel: It really noticed the religious criticism in the novel and integrated it as innocently into the movie as it was inside the book(s). Religion is not salvation there, but a means to manipulate politics. Sadly, it didn't get into the intrigues as good as the novel...

Last edited:

movieman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also it has a lot of beef with modern consumerism...still it IMHO missed the point of the novel.

Sure, but it was never based on the novel: from what I remember it was originally called 'Bug Hunt' and it was only when the movie company discovered that they had the rights to 'Starship Troopers' that they lifted some components of the story and renamed the movie. IMHO that was probably a mistake.

Basically it's meant to be a 'Green Berets'-style gung-ho recruiting film for a future fascist militarist state, but you're always taking a big chance when you deliberately make a movie look bad.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
All I can really recommend is Star Trek Next Generation, I prefer it to the original series because it isn't as 60's cheesy sci-fi and it really captures Gene's original idea for Star Trek, which wasn't possible with TOS.

Also, I agree with Urwumpe about Dune.

Darren

PS: Why do I suddenly wish there was a Sandworm add-on? :idk: :lol:

Edit: I wouldn't recommend "Children of Dune", was never as good as it could have been. :p

Edit2: The TV series not the book. :p

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
still it IMHO missed the point of the novel.

Although it's kind of difficult to tell what the point of the novel really is. It reads much more like an article about future military equipement, doctrine and tactics than like an actual story, so making a movie out of it is kind of a bad idea in the first place.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Basically it's meant to be a 'Green Berets'-style gung-ho recruiting film for a future fascist militarist state, but you're always taking a big chance when you deliberately make a movie look bad.

Well, they coarsely approached the concepts of Starship Troopers, but every time it had the chance, it made things wrong. For example that the movie political system is deeply fascist, while the book version is a total meritocracy, but that is fascist only by the corporatism, but lacking many other fascist concepts. Heinleins novels are always on the edge to fascism, but you have to admit in Heinleins favor, that he always leans towards anti-fascism. Heinlein was never a Remarque, who had to face war with his own life, he was a typical home front soldier, making it pretty easy for him, to expect sacrifices from his characters, that he never had to make himself: As much as he appreciates voluntary military service, as much he also underestimates the price of war. Also his concept of the "citizen in uniform" is IMHO pretty flawed compared to existing real world implementations (eg, Germany), because it is not existing, in his world you are either soldier or citizen, but never both at the same time. Still, you can admire his explorations of liberty... even if Starship troopers is actually considering liberty as the liberty to give up freedoms for your society. It is not the typical Heinlein concept there, "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is better in that topic.

But Verhoeven already admitted that he had never actually finished reading the book. :lol: It would just have been nicer, if he would have called it "Bug Hunt" and leave the Starship Troopers comparisons to Fans... but without his movie, I might never have ended reading Heinlein at all.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It is not the typical Heinlein concept there, "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is better in that topic.

The sharp contrast between Starship troopers and "Moon is a harsh mistress" actually made me think about the possibility that Heinlein wasn't neccessarily advertising his opinions in the novel, but just making up hypothetical societies he might or might not agree with (a lot of authors keep their personal opinion on ethics out of their stories).

If anything is consistant, then it is that Heinlein is ultimately pro self respnosibility, but otherwise the Patrol, the Luna dissidents and the military in starship troopers don't seem to have a lot in common: The patrol is firmly based in tradition, duty and ethics, the dissidents are very pragmatic and don't have trouble lying and cheating when the need arises (allthough they do have kind of a utopian libertarian society), and the military from starship troopers seems to be majorly about efficiency. The differences are probably best summed up in the respective phrases asociated with the books: "honor the patrol", "Tanstaafl" and "everyone drops, everyone fights!"

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The sharp contrast between Starship troopers and "Moon is a harsh mistress" actually made me think about the possibility that Heinlein wasn't neccessarily advertising his opinions in the novel, but just making up hypothetical societies he might or might not agree with (a lot of authors keep their personal opinion on ethics out of their stories).

Possible, but I think there is also a red line in his novels, since his youth, that deals with such topics, and implies a preference of Heinlein. Like the bad guys in his novels always are more corporative than the good guys. Which in Starship Troopers leaves a lot of room, since there is nothing more corporative than an insect society.

Heinlein was also a strong opponent to conscripts (again a personal experience of him, since he was a conscript), calling them "slave soldiers", which is sure also a red line in his military plots - even if these volunteers in ST are never true volunteers, but pretty much blackmailed into voluntary military service for becoming accepted into the society of the federation...or become a misfit.

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
No one mentioned "Sunshine". The story is ridiculous but special effects are quite good. I'd also recommend "Space Odyssey: Voyage to the planets". It's not exactly sci-fi movie but definitely worth to see.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
No one mentioned "Sunshine". The story is ridiculous but special effects are quite good. I'd also recommend "Space Odyssey: Voyage to the planets". It's not exactly sci-fi movie but definitely worth to see.
:welcome: to O-F.

Also Sunshine is the closest that any movie got to making me cry, but my record still holds strong. :lol:

Also Highlander (The first one, oh dear :probe: make sure it is the first one!) is a great sci-fi/action movie. :)

Darren