Question Whats the best Sci-fi movie/tv series?

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
Hello,

Im not aiming to start any argument on whats best with this question i was just wondering where would be a good place to start if i was to watch a sci-fi movie or tv series?

Ive never really seen anything befor to (completly or most part) do with space so im wondering what would be a good one to start with?

The only movie sci-fi move i can say ive seen is armageddon.
Ii love that movie! i know nearly everything in it isnt realistic at all but i enjoy watching it :D

And ofcourse... Avatar. (but most part of thats not to do with space)

Im guessing something like Space 1999 or Startrek?
(There the kinds of movies/tv series my dad and brothers watch which are to do with space but ive never watched them myself)

By sci-fi i do mean anything to do with space but id prefer they werent cartoon/anime.

All posts welcome and thanks in advanced! :D

Last edited:

Axertan

Reaction score
There's quite a number of space-themed movies and TV series
Personally I'd recommend, say..
Firefly(TV series), Serenity (movie)
Apollo 13
2001: A Space Odyssey
Space Cowboys

.. And for something a bit different.. Red Dwarf? I mean, they do live on a spaceship :lol:

guitarist473

Reaction score
I mean, they do live on a spaceship
:rofl:

My brain is half switched off tonight, i would like to add i have seen Apollo 13 (probably just above Armageddon on how much i love that movie) and quite alot of Red dwarf.

I heard from a friend about space cowboys and what its about and i dont think it was what im looking for, i will head over to IMDB.com now to check it out though!

And at the same time i will check out trailers and reviews for the other series/movies mentioned.

Thank you for your comments! :cheers:

EDIT:

Ive just checked out serenity on IMDB and it says its a.k.a as Firefly, are the two related? (its the movie based on the series or visa versa) or are they the same thing? or am i too tired to realise im talking a load of gibberish? lol

EDIT... AGAIN:

After about 5 seconds of posting that edit... i found this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/faq#.2.1.6

and one of the FAQ questions quote:

How does "Firefly" relate to the film "Serenity?"

Serenity is a film based on Firefly that picks up where the series left off. The entire cast of the television show returns in the film, which was designed to appeal to fans of the series as well as newcomers.

Sorry for the unneccesary edits

But! after watching the trailer... i have found that 2001: a space odyssey looks like something i would like so im going to put that in the pile for watching.

Thanks for your posts! :cheers:

Last edited:

Ark

Reaction score
You haven't watched Firefly and Serenity? :blink:

Go. Go now. Get the hell off this board and don't come back until you've watched every episode at least three times. That's an order.

guitarist473

Reaction score
Go. Go now. Get the hell off this board and don't come back until you've watched every episode at least three times. That's an order.
:rofl:

Im a newb to the whole Sci-fi genre so... there are alot of things i havent seen.

But i will reply to your order with a Roger and also put those suggestions into the...
"to watch!" pile

Heres the pile so far...

Firefly, Serenity, 2001 a space oddity, space 1999

And the maybe pile...

Space cowboys (sorry, IMDB didnt make it look appealing to me, i will still watch it though, but at a later date.)

Still taking suggestions here :)
(il build the "to watch" pile untill it reaches about 6-7 suggestions then pick one out of a hat, one by one i will watch all the suggestions so its fair and i get through them all)

Thank you for your comments! :cheers:

Last edited:

Shinrar

Reaction score
I liked Babylon 5, though... yeah, rewatching the first episode recently (trying to introduce the series to my friend), I have to admit the graphics started off pretty bad, lol.

He didn't take to it like he took to Serenity and Firefly, though, so they defiantly rate above.

Ark

Reaction score
Space Cowboys was funny and entertaining, despite having the third most unrealistic Shuttle reentry in movie history. The first and second being The Core and Moonraker, respectively.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I can only echo the "Firefly/Serenity" hails so far (our Mrs. Reynolds is my favorite episode).
But to add to the list...

Moon (one of the best movies that's never been hyped)
Postcards from the Future

guitarist473

Reaction score
Moon looks like an interesting film, i will add that to the pile.
On IMDB there are two postcards from the future titles, 1997 and 2007.
Since there is no details on the 1997 one i guess your refering to the 2007?

Thank you all for your posts! i think i have my 6-7 suggestions to put in the hat! :cheers:

Polaris

Reaction score
Alien(s), Space:1999, Firefly, UFO, anything made by Gerry Anderson (yes, even Terrahawks), and last but not least, Cowboy Bebop.

Shinrar

Reaction score
Moon (one of the best movies that's never been hyped)

Was that the one with the guy on the Moon base, with the communication equipment which is on the fritz?

If so - that is an AWESOME movie, and I wholeheartedly echo that statement. Saw it on Netflix. Much enjoyed.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I'm a big Stargate: SG-1 fan, but don't tell Xyon that. :) I also like the new Battlestar Galactica series and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

As for SciFi movies, some of my favorites are The Matrix Trilogy, Avatar, and Contact.

Oh, and for SciFi anime movies, Appleseed: Ex Machina.

guitarist473

Reaction score
Ive got a heck of alot of titles to research :)

Im going to have to look at these tomorrow but i will put these in the maybe pile now to remind me...

so here are the piles so far...

"to watch!" =

Firefly, Serenity, 2001 a space oddity, space 1999, Moon, UFO (saw some episodes in the past, i liked them but never got round to watching all of them)

"maybe (reminder) pile" =

Stargate SG1, Startrek: deepspace nine, Babylon 5, space cowboys

As i said there are some that iv already seen but im just too tired to remember.
I have seen Avatar, matrix, contact, (all) alien(s) (movies), cowboy bebop

I must go to bed now, i have school in 6 hours and i am REALLY tired!

Thank you all for your suggestions and posts! :cheers: good night (technically good morning with it being about 1am) :)

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
People are right about Moon. That's some real SF right there, not just a space adventure. It's also just a fantastic movie in its own right, and is so low-key on the special effects I hear there's a stage version planned.

If you can stomach anime, I also recommend Planetes, which is a short little series about a crew of orbital debris removers that deals lovingly with spaceflight and all its attendant details and weirdness. There's a major focus on realism, with a technology level comparable to 2001's. (It'd be a great source for Orbiter addons, too - The main characters fly around in a ship that looks essentialy like a big Soyuz.)

Last edited:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Am I the only one here who watched Life On Mars? That was a damn good show. I've not watched the whole firefly series, but I did see Serenity, and man, was that good. I also have fond memories of Stargate SG-1, along with Star Trek TNG.

As for movies, I'd first recommend Inception. If you get a chance to see this, do it; you won't regret it. District 9 was okay, but it was essentially apartheid but with aliens. Signs was an okay movie I suppose. For the classics, go with 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Day the Earth Stood Still (the original),. Has no one suggested Blade Runner yet? That's one of the best ones out there!

Polaris

Reaction score
Am I the only one here who watched Life On Mars? That was a damn good show. I've not watched the whole firefly series, but I did see Serenity, and man, was that good. I also have fond memories of Stargate SG-1, along with Star Trek TNG.

As for movies, I'd first recommend Inception. If you get a chance to see this, do it; you won't regret it. District 9 was okay, but it was essentially apartheid but with aliens. Signs was an okay movie I suppose. For the classics, go with 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Day the Earth Stood Still (the original),. Has no one suggested Blade Runner yet? That's one of the best ones out there!

I suggest Blade Runner.

MikeB

Reaction score
Blade Runner is great sci-fi, but not much about space.

Apollo 13 is a great (the greatest?) space movie, but factual, not fiction.

Firefly/Serenity is great sci-fi, too, with better stories and better coherence than any other sci-fi series.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Blade Runner is great sci-fi, but not much about space.

Apollo 13 is a great (the greatest?) space movie, but factual, not fiction.

Firefly/Serenity is great sci-fi, too, with better stories and better coherence than any other sci-fi series.

Well, science fiction doesn't necessarily have to be about space. Blade Runner really makes you think after you are done watching it.