What music are you listening to?

Graham2001

Reaction score
Forgotten, but not gone early 80s NuWave paired with procedually generated (aka 'AI) video

A surprisingly effective pairing, not perfect, but effective none-the-less...

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've aged. This is what I was listening to on the way home from work:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I see what You are up to....

I was actually watching news about Ukrainian drone strikes inside Russia, and there was a video floating about appearing to show an Ukrainian drone with speakers playing the tune of Son Ar Chistr / Was wollen wir trinken as it flew overhead. I have no idea of the veracity of that video and won't link to it as it may be UFO nonsense, but it got me down the rabbit hole of Son Ar Chistr / Was wollen wir trinken renditions.

It's a weird world.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I was actually watching news about Ukrainian drone strikes inside Russia, and there was a video floating about appearing to show an Ukrainian drone with speakers playing the tune of Son Ar Chistr / Was wollen wir trinken as it flew overhead. I have no idea of the veracity of that video and won't link to it as it may be UFO nonsense, but it got me down the rabbit hole of Son Ar Chistr / Was wollen wir trinken renditions.

It's a weird world.

Yeah, but its one of the old tunes that survived the centuries in many versions. Eluveitie also did a version of it. Not sure why medieval music is not used that often in pop music, maybe the time signatures are a bit too odd.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, but its one of the old tunes that survived the centuries in many versions. Eluveitie also did a version of it. Not sure why medieval music is not used that often in pop music, maybe the time signatures are a bit too odd.
I am not a musician or musicophile, but it is interesting how songs do have history. Covers and translations serve as mutations and adaptions that might allow a song lineage to survive to the modern day. I wonder how many songs from the medieval period simply vanished simply because the meter wasn't adaptable to more modern instruments? There must be an evolutionary tree of songs - it may be impossible to accurately draw it, but it must exist all the same.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am not a musician or musicophile, but it is interesting how songs do have history. Covers and translations serve as mutations and adaptions that might allow a song lineage to survive to the modern day. I wonder how many songs from the medieval period simply vanished simply because the meter wasn't adaptable to more modern instruments? There must be an evolutionary tree of songs - it may be impossible to accurately draw it, but it must exist all the same.

Well, its possible to combine such music with modern instruments. But I can't find the melodies or even lyrical fragments outside its bubble. The latter might be because of the culture changing, but then, the lyrics and lyrical themes of Neidhard von Reuetal, a kind of medieval popstar in the HRR, doesn't translate badly into the modern world.