What is the best FREE recorder?

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I really want to record my flights and stuff (Like for simple tutorials), but I don't have the money to buy a program like FRAPS. I've seen Hypercam Before, and that seems to do a fairly good job, but i'm wondering if anybody else has any other FREE programs that i could use.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I really want to record my flights and stuff (Like for simple tutorials), but I don't have the money to buy a program like FRAPS. I've seen Hypercam Before, and that seems to do a fairly good job, but i'm wondering if anybody else has any other FREE programs that i could use.
I'm pretty sure Fraps has a free version which is what most people seem to use for free recording.
But if you just want to do this for tutorial purposes, you should take a look into using Orbiter's built-in recorder and annotation ability.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
The Fraps free version only allows you to record up to 30 seconds at a time.

Orbiter has a built-in annotation ability? So that means I can add notes? How?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The fraps demo has a timelimit and a watermark, which makes it very annoying to use!
Using the built in record function for tutorials is of limited use as it does not record MFDs and view changes. I love it nonetheless!

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
The Fraps free version only allows you to record up to 30 seconds at a time.

Orbiter has a built-in annotation ability? So that means I can add notes? How?
You wouldn't normally need a scene lasting more than 30 seconds in an Orbiter video, so most people don't seem to mind the limit. However, I see where the problem could come in with a tutorial. (but I still don't think you'd need more than 30 seconds very often)

The annotations are text that appears on the screen when replaying the recording. The text appears at whatever times and locations on the screen you want. I think some of the replays that are under the Playback scenario folder probably have annotations. If not, there are plenty of tutorial playbacks available on Orbit-Hangar.
I'm not so sure how to make annotations myself, but I believe it is somewhere in the manual. :p

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Everything you need to know about the recorder function is in:
<orbiter>\Doc\Technotes\RecorderRef.pdf

The Lunar Transfer playback is a very good example to learn from.

Happy Orbiting

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wasn't there a Video Capture MFD on Orbit Hangar? I've never downloaded it, so I don't know if it's worth a try, but maybe you should look into it.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
(I'm gonna hijack my own thread here...is that technically possible? To hijack your own thread??)

Lets say I install a bunch of those MFD's. I never figured out how to make them work ingame. I know i install them in the plugin folder...whats next?

And if i get that to work, i'll try that MFD

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's very easy to make MFDs work. You just need to activate them in the Modules tab in the Launch Pad.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I know that i activate them....ok, here a better question:
Lets say i download the transx MFD. I activate it from the modules tab. Now how do i use/see it in Orbiter?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I know that i activate them....ok, here a better question:
Lets say i download the transx MFD. I activate it from the modules tab. Now how do i use/see it in Orbiter?
You select it the same as any other MFD - using the SEL button at the bottom of the MFD screen.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Nope, everything is still the same. I added Every MFD that is on the recommended list

Tommy

Reaction score
Try hitting the sel button again, there may be more than one page of MFD's available. They will be listed in the order they were activated.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Kaito, if you are still having problems after hitting the sel button multiple times, post a scrennie of two things for us:

The modules tab

The sel menu/s