General Question What FOV do you use?

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
50* on earth, 30* in space.

You need a wider field on earth, but 30* gives space a nice cinematic feel.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What do you think is the best FOV for orbiter as to get the best viewing expirience!

IMHO it all depends on what kind of view you're looking for. It's just like asking a photographer what is the best lens/focus you should use: kind of difficult to answer...
Look at real images taken in space: I have seen beautiful shots both with fish-eye (like 90° or more FOV) and with 800mm/plus zoom lens (like 10° FOV)

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What do you think is the best FOV for orbiter as to get the best viewing expirience!

If you consider your monitor to be a window into the virtual world of Orbiter, you can calculate that based on your monitor's physical height and the distance between your eye and the surface.
However, most of the time you're better off just using what you think looks nice. For me, it is between 40 and 60.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
When navigating I use 65° FoV. This gives a good overview, e.g. to see a planets horizon. The distortion in the corners is acceptable (on a wide screen).

A more realistic view might be 55°.

For cinematic screenshots you may want to experiment with very narrow FoV's like 10°, to simulate a long telescopic lens.