What are you doing to conserve gas?

RAF92_Moser

Reaction score
With oil prices shooting off faster than Delta rockets (yeh, yeh...bad joke), I was wondering how goes the battle?

A newfound interest in speed limits?
Grinning over that Prius you bought?
Investing into oil stocks?
Cursing at the pump?
Kicking that 8.0L Suburban?
Not worrying because you make a wad of doe?
Wishing it was the 50s?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
What is the price of petrol in the US, about 70c a litre?, It is $1.30 here (in Aud) and I belive it is about $2.00 per litre in the EU

RAF92_Moser

Reaction score
What is the price of petrol in the US, about 70c a litre?, It is $1.30 here (in Aud) and I belive it is about $2.00 per litre in the EU

I think the national average is about $3.30 a gallon. Diesel is like $4.00. I need one of those land yachts.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Strange, Diesel is cheaper here than petrol.

Petrol currently costs about 1.43€ per liter or $2.21 per liter or $8.3 per gallon here.
Diesel costs about 1.30€ per liter or $2 per liter or $7.62 per gallon.

I use public transport as often as possible and drive slower - 120 km/h on the autobahn is noticeable more economic than 150 km/h. I once used about 144 liters petrol per month, now I have cut it down to between 35 and 60 liters.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I have a company car and they pay for my petrol so I don't need to sweat the cost too much. That said, have this inconvenient thing called a conscience ;)

When I chose my last car (2 years ago), one reason for choosing a Mazda instead of a Holden was that it was more efficient (ADR81 8.5L/100km vs 10.8L/100km). I took a small hit in interior space, but I'm still happy with the decision I made.

Chipstone306

Reaction score
I hold my farts...
Oh gas gas.
I take the bus ALL the time i live a 3 minute walk from a shopping center and can walk to most places for my needs my car is only for long trips

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's hard to compare prices between countries or even states because they are so biased by heavy taxes that it's hard to figure out the true market value of gas or diesel.

For instance, New Jersey law requires gas station attendants to operate the pumps, while most other states allow self-serve. So you would think gasoline would be more expensive in NJ to cover the cost of paying the attendants, but for some reason NJ tends to have the cheapest gas in the mid-Atlantic states.

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
...but for some reason NJ tends to have the cheapest gas in the mid-Atlantic states.
I live in Pennsylvania and work in New Jersey. Most of the time I gas up in NJ since it's about $0.20 per gallon cheaper. I track my gas miliage and have noticed thay my gas miliage seems slightly worse with NJ gas in the tank. (It's still better $/mile though.) This is probably partially do to the attendant not filling to the same point that I would but it seems pretty consistant after having lived here for a year and a half. I'm beginning to think NJ gas is cheaper because they water it down or something!

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I cycle everywhere ;)

Last time I used my car for anything other than fun was last summer. Cycling is much better anyway: you get fresh air, exercise and you can have a chat to strangers every time you stop at the lights. Admittedly the latter is a little hard in Denmark, the men think you are trying to steal something off them and the women think you are trying to chat them up. Crazy. Still, I can chat to the Swedes and the tourists.:cheers:

Btw, for saving gas I'd recommend buying a decent car with manual transmission. I was shocked in the USA as to how inefficient some (but not all) of the automatics were.

RAF92_Moser

Reaction score
My car gets 30MPG, so I only go to the gas station about once a month, German enginerring FTW!

My Pontiac does better....(American engineering...for once). I need to bring my bike...but the damn transmission needs a fix.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I cycle everywhere ;)
That is a death wish on the roads here. The only city in Australia you can really cycle most places is Canberra. The roads there are well set up with cycleways, cycle lanes, crossings etc. Also there seems to be a more considerate attitude from the drivers towards cyclists, probably because a higher percentage of the population uses bikes compared to other Australian cities.

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I use a product called the MPG Fuel Tablet that improves my 92 Accord's fuel economy to be up to 10% better that original factory specifications! Pretty cool for a 16 year old engine. The tabs cost me ~.95 a tank, and the savings work out to about $6 a tank, so I'm way ahead!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I use a product called the MPG Fuel Tablet that improves my 92 Accord's fuel economy to be up to 10% better that original factory specifications! Pretty cool for a 16 year old engine. The tabs cost me ~.95 a tank, and the savings work out to about $6 a tank, so I'm way ahead!

Are you serious? Sounds like a major ripoff to me. Even if it works I'd expect it to burn my valves or do some other engine damage.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
The obvious response to this is: why aren't we all using it?

A quick Google turned up these:
The MPG-CAPS isolates the sulfur molecules and other impurities found in fossil fuels, preventing the formation of sludge, varnish and acids that are harmful to fuel systems and engines.
Sounds nice and scientific. That said, I think I'd rather use the premium ULP direct from the bowser (eg BP Ultimate).

The ingredients in the MPG-CAPS Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Tablet break the fuel down to its molecular level so that it is presented to the combustion chamber in a much finer mist.
Huh? Isn't that what my fuel injectors are for?

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was very skeptical as well, before I started using it, and it checked it out as well. One thing that made a big difference for me was that the major engine mfg's have all indicated that use of the MPG tabs will not void your engine warranty. I have been tracking my fuel economy for over two years, and using the tabs for one, so I have a good statistical comparison.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's hard to compare prices between countries or even states because they are so biased by heavy taxes that it's hard to figure out the true market value of gas or diesel.

For instance, New Jersey law requires gas station attendants to operate the pumps, while most other states allow self-serve. So you would think gasoline would be more expensive in NJ to cover the cost of paying the attendants, but for some reason NJ tends to have the cheapest gas in the mid-Atlantic states.

That's because we have a lower gas tax, but our illustrious governor, "Comrade Corzine" wants to jack that along with his 800% toll hike plan,
the new $30 death tax and all his other "neato" incentives to drive the middle-class right outta here. I'd like to slap him, but sh!t splatters...

Cosmos

Reaction score
I'm not trying to conserve gas, it's conserving me. I drive a small car but when you have to choose between food or gas. food wins. I honestly think the price gas needs to go much higher. If gas hit $5 or $6 a gallon then maybe there would be some pressure in Washinton to change things, as it is we're still being played by OPEC and big Oil. They have us just where they want us.

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Wow guys this is a really great thread guys good work, i conserve power by turning absloutly turning everything off, i even turn off my sisters stuff not only as a practical joke when she turns it on she thinks its broken (shes blonde so you cant really blame her) but to save alot of power. Also becuase theres a huge drought over here in Australia (it looks like it might end soon) we Aussies have to save alot of water over here, and i guess you people all over the world have do too.
Thanks.
Ryan.

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sometimes when I'm in Perth, I drive to the Train Station and take the train into the CBD, the saving really adds up over time (Drive to station: about 2 minutes)