We're all going to die!

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes Eventualy

just think, in 200 years ever living person now will be dead.

Are you sure? With radical advances in heathcare and nanotechnology, not to mention the eradication of many fatal diseases, humans could live for centuries!

That still isn't long enough to see thee sun die or the galaxies collide, and I'm not betting my house on it.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Are you sure? With radical advances in heathcare and nanotechnology, not to mention the eradication of many fatal diseases, humans could live for centuries!

That still isn't long enough to see thee sun die or the galaxies collide, and I'm not betting my house on it.

Why not? Can you lose such a bet?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why not? Can you lose such a bet?

I could definatley lose such a bet. Such advances might not be made and I might to live for centuries.

Star explorer

Reaction score
the article says that it will still take billions of years for the collsion to happen so not my concern *Selfish look on face*. Also a meteor of the size shown in the video won't hit earth until a minnimum of 100 or so years and by then scientist will probly already found a way to deflect or get rid of a meteor other than shooting a nuke at it.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Hum... I'm curious to think of the relative velocities of nearby stars during the collision... would we be able to actually notice the stars twirling through the celestial dance-floor that is our sky? Even if such movements aren't easily noticeable, star-based navigation would be quite unreliable.

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also a meteor of the size shown in the video won't hit earth until a minnimum of 100 or so years and by then scientist will probly already found a way to deflect or get rid of a meteor other than shooting a nuke at it.

There are exactly three asteroids as big (500km diameter) or bigger than the one in the video in the known solar system. They are all safely tucked away in the asteroid belt. So feel safe, at least from 500km biosphere erasing asteroids. It is unlikely that there has been anything rogue like that for over 4 billion years, but the earth may have been struck as many as six times by rocks like that, plus the mars-sized one which blasted out the moon. It is not for nothing that it is called the Hadean era.

The geologists are interested in things like that because apparently the earth became habitable very very early, and impacts like that may have erased the biosphere and reset the earth, such that life arose on earth multiple times.

The fun thing about this simulation is that it is what such an impact would look like if it happened today, not necessarily a prediction that it will. But, if anything, the video UNDERestimates the destructiveness of such an impact. I've read the paper it's based on, and in the time after impact you can look forward to the following:

*A transient hole 1000km deep where the rock of the mantle is just pushed and compressed straight down. (in the first minute)
*A rebound with a tower of mantle 500km high (in about 15 minutes)
*The entire earth showered with ejecta and covered 200m deep (in about an hour, orbital flight time to the antipode)
*A rock vapor atmosphere 100x normal pressure and 7000K, hotter than the sun (1-2 hours)
*Complete vaporization of the ocean, and the salt in it (a couple of hours)
*Shock waves associated with the rock vapor atmosphere spreading at hypersonic speeds

So, it's basically sayonara to any structure smaller than a continent or closer to the surface than 5 or 6 km. And don't count on your mineshaft surviving the impact and earthquakes therefrom. The only projected refuge is inside the pores of rocks that far down. And only if you are a thermophile bacterium.

Star explorer

Reaction score
um ok but what i was really posting above about how an meteor like that probly won't it earth in our lifetime and for a few lifetimes after ours. also about what T.Neo said about humans living for centuries well in my opinon living for centuries would suck.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
There are exactly three asteroids as big (500km diameter) or bigger than the one in the video in the known solar system. They are all safely tucked away in the asteroid belt. So feel safe, at least from 500km biosphere erasing asteroids.

Unless it fell into the solar system from outside. A true rogue planetoid. Still very very unlikely, but if one did come in we would not have as much warning.

But hey, why stop with a planetoid? Lately (reading another thread) I've been worrying about a *Jupiter* sized rogue planet just dropping into our sun. Boom and that's it.

But as for the galaxy collision, aren't there a lot of interstellar gases that would impact together, causing all sorts of interesting (and dangerous) phenomena?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
*A transient hole 1000km deep where the rock of the mantle is just pushed and compressed straight down. (in the first minute)
*A rebound with a tower of mantle 500km high (in about 15 minutes)
*The entire earth showered with ejecta and covered 200m deep (in about an hour, orbital flight time to the antipode)
*A rock vapor atmosphere 100x normal pressure and 7000K, hotter than the sun (1-2 hours)
*Complete vaporization of the ocean, and the salt in it (a couple of hours)
*Shock waves associated with the rock vapor atmosphere spreading at hypersonic speeds

Awesome :speakcool:! Well, not if you're on the Earth at the time...

I've been worrying about a *Jupiter* sized rogue planet just dropping into our sun.

Wonder what the gory details of that would be...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I've been worrying about a *Jupiter* sized rogue planet just dropping into our sun. Boom and that's it.

Wonder what the gory details of that would be...

In the thread Mandella linked to that got him worrying about such a collision, I gave a rough estimate of what said gory details might be. See posts 23, 26, 29, and 43 in that thread. A rogue Jupiter would be moving faster than that, firstoff because falling in from the outside it would have to be travelling at at least solar escape velocity when it hit the sun(although Jupiter falling inward from its present orbit would be going very nearly that fast), and secondly because the processes that could eject a Jupiter-sized planet from its original star would be fairly likely to send it trucking along at a fairly good clip. Exactly how fast it would be moving would depend greatly on its origins. Assuming that it hit at twice solar escape velocity, it would release four times as much energy on impact, plus the heat from whatever hot gasses it splashed out of the solar interior.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
But as for the galaxy collision, aren't there a lot of interstellar gases that would impact together, causing all sorts of interesting (and dangerous) phenomena?

Well, primarily you'd get increased star formation, but the hazards probably wouldn't be much different in type from those in a normal star-forming region. There would be more of those same types of hazards, though. Since supernovae are the deaths of more massive stars with shorter lifespans, regions with ongoing or recent star formation tend to have alot of supernovae.

The other potential hazard is that in the rare event that comets/rogue planets/stars did collide with planets or stars, the average velocity would be much higher.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In the thread Mandella linked to that got him worrying about such a collision, I gave a rough estimate of what said gory details might be. See posts 23, 26, 29, and 43 in that thread. A rogue Jupiter would be moving faster than that, firstoff because falling in from the outside it would have to be travelling at at least solar escape velocity when it hit the sun(although Jupiter falling inward from its present orbit would be going very nearly that fast), and secondly because the processes that could eject a Jupiter-sized planet from its original star would be fairly likely to send it trucking along at a fairly good clip. Exactly how fast it would be moving would depend greatly on its origins. Assuming that it hit at twice solar escape velocity, it would release four times as much energy on impact, plus the heat from whatever hot gasses it splashed out of the solar interior.

But what would happen to the Earth's surface and everything on it?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually:

Your Inputs:

Distance from Impact: 8500.00 km = 5278.50 miles
Projectile Diameter: 2000000.00 m = 6560000.00 ft = 1242.00 miles
Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m³
Impact Velocity: 18.00 km/s = 11.18 miles/s
Impact Angle: 90 degrees
Target Density: 1000 kg/m³
Target Type: Liquid Water of depth 1500.00 meters, over typical rock.

Energy:

Energy before atmospheric entry: 2.04 x 10^30 Joules = 4.86 x 10^14 MegaTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size is longer than the Earth's age.Such impacts could only occur during the accumulation of the Earth, between 4.5 and 4 billion years ago.

Major Global Changes:

The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
1.65 percent of the Earth is melted
The impact does not make a noticeable change in the Earth's rotation period or the tilt of its axis.
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Crater Dimensions:

What does this mean?

The crater opened in the water has a diameter of 7300 km = 4530 miles
For the crater formed in the seafloor:
Transient Crater Diameter: 4460 km = 2770 miles
Transient Crater Depth: 1580 km = 979 miles
Final Crater Diameter: 13400 km = 8300 miles
Final Crater Depth: 5.17 km = 3.21 miles

The final crater is replaced by a large, circular melt province.
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 1.81e+10 km³ = 4.34e+09 miles³
Melt volume = 1.56 times the crater volume
At this size, the crater forms in its own melt pool.

Thermal Radiation:

What does this mean?

Time for maximum radiation: 1410 seconds after impact
Your position is inside the fireball.
The fireball appears 547 times larger than the sun
Thermal Exposure: 1.02 x 1013 Joules/m²
Duration of Irradiation: 329000 seconds
Radiant flux (relative to the sun): 30900
Effects of Thermal Radiation:

• Clothing ignites

Much of the body suffers third degree burns

Newspaper ignites

Plywood flames

Deciduous trees ignite

Grass ignites

Seismic Effects:

What does this mean?

The major seismic shaking will arrive at approximately 1700 seconds.
Richter Scale Magnitude: 14.4 (This is greater than any earthquake in recorded history)
Mercalli Scale Intensity at a distance of 8500 km:

• IX. General panic. Damage considerable in specially designed structures; well-designed frame structures thrown out of plumb. Damage great in substantial buildings, with partial collapse. Buildings shifted off foundations. Serious damage to reservoirs. Underground pipes broken. Conspicuous cracks in ground. In alluviated areas sand and mud ejected, earthquake fountains, sand craters.

X. Most masonry and frame structures destroyed with their foundations. Some well-built wooden structures and bridges destroyed. Serious damage to dams, dikes, embankments. Large landslides. Water thrown on banks of canals, rivers, lakes, etc. Sand and mud shifted horizontally on beaches and flat land. Rails bent slightly.

Ejecta:

What does this mean?

The ejecta will arrive approximately 2870 seconds after the impact.
Your position is in the region which collapses into the final crater.
Your position is beneath the continuous ejecta deposit.
Average Ejecta Thickness: 5750 m = 18800 ft

Air Blast:

What does this mean?

The air blast will arrive at approximately 25800 seconds.
Peak Overpressure: 1.09e+08 Pa = 1090 bars = 15500 psi
Max wind velocity: 8410 m/s = 18800 mph
Sound Intensity: 161 dB (Dangerously Loud)
Damage Description:

• Multistory wall-bearing buildings will collapse.

Wood frame buildings will almost completely collapse.

Multistory steel-framed office-type buildings will suffer extreme frame distortion, incipient collapse.

Highway truss bridges will collapse.

Highway girder bridges will collapse.

Glass windows will shatter.

Cars and trucks will be largely displaced and grossly distorted and will require rebuilding before use.

Up to 90 percent of trees blown down; remainder stripped of branches and leaves.

Tell me more...

Click here for a pdf document that details the observations, assumptions, and equations upon which this program is based. It describes our approach to quantifying the important impact processes that might affect the people, buildings, and landscape in the vicinity of an impact event and discusses the uncertainty in our predictions. The processes included are: atmospheric entry, impact crater formation, fireball expansion and thermal radiation, ejecta deposition, seismic shaking, and the propagation of the atmospheric blast wave.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
But what would happen to the Earth's surface and everything on it?

If Jupiter hit the Sun at 616 km/s, you'd have 30,000 years worth of the Sun's normal output released just from the impact, plus whatever energy was churned up from inside. All of this would be released on a timescale much less than 30,000 years, but without running an actual simulation I'm not sure how short that would be, so I can't say, for instance, if rock would vaporize from the heat or anything. I *can* say, however, that anything flammable on the dayside would catch fire pretty much instantly. Water would start boiling, and I'm pretty sure that by the time you were done the oceans would have turned entirely to steam. I think it's fairly likely that the added heat and radiation pressure would strip the atmosphere. But alot of this depends on how quickly the impact energy is released, and I don't know that.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What about on the Nightside?

Torgo

Reaction score
Economy colapses, girl rejects me, glaxies gonna colide, group of Middle Eastern men want the President dead, Hurricane pattern moving north,, Ice Caps melting, less snow each year, going through puberty, Apoccolypse in 4 years, Moon slowly leaving Earth...
YouTube - Life Of Brian - Ending

You left out that the Earth's rotation is slowing. We need to get the media to promote that with their world-class scaremongering.

What have you done today to stop the Earth's rotation from slowing? :p

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What have you done today to stop the Earth's rotation from slowing? :p

I went for a walk.