OHM Vostok

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
PKRS does not switch off for the same reason, no code. But why the 125 code does not work, eludes me! Just to be sure - you are using the keypad in the cockpit, not the computer keyboard, for typing the numbers? :) I know it sounds ridiculous, but as I am out of evident ideas, I am now resorting to the most exotic ones...

diegorodriguez

Reaction score
Oh, ok. I finally managed to make it to work. 1st, keypad and next switch up manual, I can hear a small sound. Then, everytime I maneuver, I can hear a distant shhh and soon see the Earth move in the VZOR and windows.

One remarkable thing is the absence of the typical airplane controls (artificial horizon, speed, altitude...).. So useless they were in a typical automated flight?

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
They are useless even in the manned flight. Vzor replaces horizon and speed in manual mode, and Sun and Earth sensors work for automated control. And altitude and speed is completely irrelevant in orbital flight - who cares!

There were simply no good ways to get this info onboard anyway. Horizon will require a constantly running gyro, that will have to be adjusted every so many hours (from what sourse?) "Airspeed vector" can be obtained from ion sensors - but during Vostok flight they were still on the drawing board (they were introduced on Voshod as an experiment, and became operational on Soyuz). And the only thing that can tell altitude will be a radar - and a powerful one, with good antenna and significant power consumption. Does no pay off...

diegorodriguez

Reaction score
You're right, a truly new view over space simulations. So easy to learn with your superb work! One thing I would like to do is to gain some sort of zoom inside the cockpit, so I can read instruments easier. Is there any way?

diogom

Reaction score
Use Z key to increase Field of View (FOV), that will get you "closer" to the controls. You can then use X key to reduce the FOV and go back to normal.

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Yes, Z and X, they are standard for all Orbiter vessels... and even for outside views. You can see the current FOV (field of View) value of the "camera" in the top right corner of the screen.

PeterH

Reaction score
Ahhh... have seen this too late, so I simply performed a trial-and-error-run. Luckily enough, the right code is soon achieved, starting with 121,122,123... I even tried to find the right code in the books of Boris Tschertok, but didn't find it

By the way: Is there any chance to consume some of the food found in the containers? :thumbup:

But seriously: This is a really wunderful addon, in my personal opinion the best I have on my sytem. It makes the old heroic days come true again - I remember listening to Radio Moscow on shortwave 50 years ago to hear the celebrations when Gagarin was back... many, many thanks to Andrew (igel) and Nikita (Thorton).

Peter

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
You are welcome - and thanks for the kind words! And amazing how you got the code working without the historical sources! It is so lucky they did not use 666 :)

...and what a great idea for food being a real consumables! Why didn't I think about it myself?! Next time, or in the next version - very likely! It will be actually quite easy to implement!

PeterH

Reaction score
At last I found the code in the books of Boris Tschertok (german issue, Volume 2, p.403). As he writes, the code was told to Gagarin by Iwanowskij and Gallaj prior to entering the Sharik, thus violating the regulations...

I found a few minor problems in my installation:

I have two identical instances of Orbiter 2006 on two different computers, the first running under Windows XP, the second on Windows 7. The VZOR works under Windows XP but not under Windows 7. Thats ok for me, as the simulated VZOR is in my opinion a little bit more challenging when trying to achieve the correct retro-attitude.

On both installations the CTRL-Mouseclick doesn't work when trying to turn the number-of revolution-counter or making changes on the clock. The CTRL isn't recognized within the cabin, but works well in outside-views.

And there is a little miracle: When I close all the blinds on the windows and switch off all the lights, amazingly enough the cabin is well illuminated when the spacecraft is over the daylight part of the earth... :coffee:

But I think, these small "bugs" are by no way a real problem, I just wanted to tell you some of my observations. Again, let me thank you for this wunderful and outstanding addon.

Regards
Peter

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Hm, that sounds strange... can Ctrl be intercepted by something else in the machine?.. Or may there be some national German keyboard issue?.. Do the non-Ctrl clicks work?

Yes, the code is not that big secret, everyone can find it fairly easiy, so I got away with not publishing it the manual with no problem so far :).

Vzor module issues are known and understandable, they are just on the boundary of the proven technologies and adventuresome hacking, and anything is possible on the frontier!

Same is the "miracle" with sun going through the closed windows - this is simply how Orbiter renders the visuals, and nothing could be done about it - neither in the "nominal" manner, nor with the "inventive hacking". I tried some, got mixed results and ran out of time and stability... Probably future versions will figure out how to do it, or Orbiter itself will stars supporting it natively... whichever comes first!

Katt7777

Reaction score
Magnificent, Gagarin's flight worked flawlessly for me. :thumbup:

I also appreciate the code you included, it is very helpful to beginners like myself.:tiphat:

Thank You :10sign:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Я должен сказать, это самое впечатляющее дополнение. Один я с большим удовольствием в использовании

english-I must say, this is a most impressive add-on. One I shall take great pleasure in using

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Indeed. You have done for the Russians what AMSO has done for the Americans, or what the DGIV and the XR-class have done for Sci-Fi. Congratulations on a wonderful add-on!

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Autopilot

Is it possible to turn off the autopilot? What I like with Orbiter is to fly by myself, so how do I turn off the autopilot (if it's possible)?
Thanks anyway.

diogom

Reaction score
On the Vostok 1, you need to enter the code, 125, on the upper left psnel, and then activate the manual control. See the manual to know how to. On other Vostok missions, all you need is to activate manual control.

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
It may be trickier than simply "going manual". Like in a true Vostok, in this addon there is no single manual/autopilot switch. You may turn manual mode for one system (like attitude control) - but the others (like retrofire burn timing) may remain in "auto", and may have to be disabled/enabled separately. This creates a whole new dimensions in the various subsysytems interactions (sometimes quite crazy and complicated!) which were at times very challenging to program and debug (and fly!), but which brings models of the onboard control systems much closer to reality that the simple all-manual or all-auto mode.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Congratulations, I was your 7000th download of this great addon.

:hail: igel and Thorton for this truly great addon, which I put in my top five of all time!

picture.php

Last edited:

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Wow! That's quite a lot! And thanks so much for kind words. It so happened that in summer I am taking a (hopefully well-deserved) "vacation from Orbiter", as summer turned out to be very busy. Some time in the fall I hope to return to the "next set of projects" as I loosely define them (as they are still a bit murky regarding particular order and priorities).

Djowin

Reaction score
Fantastic !

Fantastic add-on !! :thumbup:

With a high level of realization...

Thank you very much for this wonder ! :hailprobe: