OHM Vostok v1.1 (for external graphic clients)

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: igel

This is a long-awaited update of Vostok that is compatible with the external graphical clients, like D3D9Client. Hence, it requires Orbiter 2010 (no Orbiter 2006 anymore, but now problem - Vostok v1.0 http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5126 is still around if you need it for 2006).

Unfortunately, the realistic B3OP (Vzor) module is still incompatible with the external client, and had to be removed. I've disabled the corresponding sections in the Manual - but did not remove them completely (let's hope Vzor will also be converted to external clients one day...)

Now, enjoy Vostok 1.1 in the true glory of DirectX!

DOWNLOAD

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A nice surprise ! :thumbup:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
You are a genius. I really enjoy your work.

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
You all are so welcome! :) My apologies for not doing this sooner... In fact, this was supposed to be a part of my next project - but that project was being delayed over and over, for various reasons :-(. Still many-many months from readiness. But in the process I figured out all that is needed to make the code D3D9-compatible, and eventually was able to fast-track at least this Vostok update. It was so good, it deserves to be played on the modern software! :)

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Would this still be compatible with the native graphics as well, in case I wanted to try both (for performance purposes)?

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Yes, of course it works with the native client, too. Just no real benefit in that mode compared to the original 1.0 version. A few small bugs fixed, no any performance boost, and a drawback of not having B3OP module...

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, of course it works with the native client, too. Just no real benefit in that mode compared to the original 1.0 version. A few small bugs fixed, no any performance boost, and a drawback of not having B3OP module...

Ok thanks!

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
From the manual of [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5126"]Vostok[/ame]

Vzor ("B3OP") Optical Orientator - Realistic Version

Vzor is an optical device for the manual visual
orienteering of the spaceship over the surface of the
Earth. In Russian its name means "look", or "sight",
but sounds very similar to the English word "visor".
The main part of Vzor is the conical ring periscope,
which allows - when the spaceship is in the correct
retrofire orientation - to observe the complete Earth
horizon in all directions all at once.
Until recently, implementing an optical device of such a
complexity in Orbiter addons seemed extremely hard,
if not outright impossible. But now, thanks to the
brilliant work of Roman Vasiljev (Bloodest) we have a
ground-breaking experimental implementation of a
true conical periscope - right where it is absolutely
essential, in the Vostok cockpit!
Before you can run Vostok with this realistic Vzor
implementation, you have to activate the B3OP
module in the Orbiter's Launchpad (see the
Installationsection of this manual).
The arrows on the Vzor show the direction in which the ground should be moving in the Vzor window,
when the spaceship is in the correct retrofire orientation. These arrow pointers have separate
illumination, controlled by the knob on the console.

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
In a very brief way - VZOR was an ingeniously simple optical device on Vostok and Voskhod (and its "very upgraded" successors were used all the way on Soyuz as well). It involved a conical periscopic mirror - so that when you look directly through the window - on the peripheral of the window you also see a narrow zone that looks sideways, in all directions! The goal is, when you want the window to point nadir (for landing attitude), the full circle of Earth's horizon should be visible in that narrow limb of the window. Tricky even to describe, way more tricky to implement! And to model that in Orbiter, a lot of complex custom rendering was done by a separate module dll. It was SO cool! Just check it out with Vostok 1.0 and native graphic!

But, this extra dll is not (yet?) ported to be made compatible with D3D9Client. When you try to activate it in D3D9, it just freezes the whole Orbiter dead :-(.

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Never! The orbits and launch times were calculated to have specific timing... not unlike now - Soyuz _can_ deorbit and land at night, but they hate it, do it only in kinds of emergencies...

Early Vostok pilots had experimented in watching Earth at night, to figure out if it can be visually oriented at nighttime... with mixed results. Of course, manual visual attitude control was always a backup mode only, automation was the way to go.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Great addon! Do you know where I can get Voskhod?

As far as I know, Voskhod is not available (yet).
The best you can get is http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15290.
It's been some time since there's been an update for this project (in fact, it has stalled), but (as the OP request in his first post) you can help him with the development to complete the add-on.

BTW, posting you question in a couple of different post doesn't give you your answer quicker. Instead, you can create a new thread with the request for a Voskhod add-on.