Vinka's Spacecraft 3 Aerodynamics params

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Recently I have been working on a project with vinka's spacecraft 3 dll. According to the documents:

[AERODYNAMICS]​
newMODEL : possible values are “shuttle”, “dglider” or “capsule”. If you know nothing at
aerodynamics, this is the only parameters that you must specify. All other parameters
related to aerodynamics will take default values according to the model chosen. For
“shuttle”, Orbiter default values given for space shuttle Atlantis will be used. For “dglider”,
Orbiter default values given for delta glider will be used. For “capsule”, another set of

default values are used.

So putting Model=capsule in the ini file and Orbiter locks up. I've tried the others as well. Has anyone got this function to work? Am I doing something wrong here?

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Capsule isn't fully implemented. Use shuttle or deltaglider or just leave it out.

Its in the Spacecraft.dll documentation, fyi.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Capsule isn't fully implemented. Use shuttle or deltaglider or just leave it out.

Its in the Spacecraft.dll documentation, fyi.

Hummmm what I quoted was in the spacecraft documentation. Where are you seeing that "capsule" isn't.

simcosmos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
simcosmos.planetaclix.pt
Recently I have been working on a project with vinka's spacecraft 3 dll.
(...)
So putting Model=capsule in the ini file and Orbiter locks up. I've tried the others as well. Has anyone got this function to work? Am I doing something wrong here?

Hi Brad, not sure but I think that have saved, in 'simcosmos development archives', a reference
about this topic (from M6): should be a matter of doing a quick search. If finding, will edit + link in this post.

António

EDIT:

There you go, can't double-check this at the moment but it might be related (?):
http://www.orbitersim.com/Forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=5205

In particular, will take the liberty of making a copy+paste of Vinka's comment
(Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 9:51:50 AM):

Bug correction : some parameters set to zero are causing the CTD in the capsule model (I must admit, this model still needs to be ajusted and tested). For the moment, you can avoid the CTD by setting the following parameters to non zero value :

[AERODYNAMICS]
MODEL=CAPSULE
VAIRFOIL_ASPECT=1.
VAIRFOIL_EFFICIENCY=0.01
HAIRFOIL_ASPECT=1.
HAIRFOIL_EFFICIENCY=0.01

Last edited:

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In particular, will take the liberty of making a copy+paste of Vinka's comment
(Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 9:51:50 AM):

Great! That will help a lot!

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[AERODYNAMICS]

Hello, I used the following parameters to get into the Intrepid successful features with spacecraft3

MODEL=CAPSULE
VAIRFOIL_ASPECT=1.
VAIRFOIL_EFFICIENCY=0.01
HAIRFOIL_ASPECT=1.
HAIRFOIL_EFFICIENCY=0.01
VAIRFOIL_CD0=1.3

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I had this problem as well, but this is the first time I have seen a fix. Thanks, folks.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
When I want to add aerodynamics to a ship, I use the "dglider" by default because it's probably the one ships aspects most users are familiar with aside from the STS.

I must admit, STS settings are more attractive for large vessels though.