General Question Venus Space Station

ggrof

Reaction score
ok. Thank you
The searching for the best launcher continues. With Ariane 6, as i have said, is very easy and aerobraking isn´t necessary. But i´m looking for a challenge...

With Energia Rocket, is almost impossible launch a module and send it to Venus with a Smerch and 2 DM-2 due the heavy weight. With a stock configuration (1 Smerch and 1 DM-2) is possible do the TVI but due the course corrections and some burns to help in the aerobraking in Venus, the DM-2 runs out of fuel and the assembling and docking with another modules is virtually impossible.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Perhaps something like [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3865"]this[/ame] would help? :hmm:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, some success in developing the folding aeroshell.
Folded:
picture.php

Unfolded:
picture.php

I still need to tweak the aerodynamics slightly, since my sole test flight so far was... less than successful. However, the animations are working like I want them to, which is a major advance.

Hartmann

Reaction score
About surface venus exploration ,could be very difficult with manned vehicles because take off from the venus surface to orbit with 90 ATM of pressure and 1g need a lot of fuel and power from the engine.

The ERV must be oversized in fuel and power to reach orbit

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We're talking about a space station around venus slowing down using aerobrake...

ggrof

Reaction score
the manned mission need to be carefully planned. for now, i´m thinking about how to assemble the modules at venus orbit. Or send just a spacelab craft attached with fuel tanks for earth return. The NERVA upper stage was a good suggestion

Maverick, the aeroshell is awesome. Thanks!

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Well, I still am making adjustments at I learn more about SC3, and I still need to texture it. However, the module does fit inside of the foded shell without issue. The question is, does it fit in the fairing?

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Answer: yes, it fits in the Buran-T. However, I will need to add RCS to enable docking to the module.

ggrof

Reaction score
the aeroshell will be lauched attached with the module, right? (sorry for the stupid question)

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
Those mega-tugs will do you better if you want unmanned. Otherwise, you can pack two modules at a time in an XR5, and do a round trip.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
the aeroshell will be lauched attached with the module, right? (sorry for the stupid question)

No, not stupid at all.
It will depend on your upper stage. With a Kulch upper stage, you must attach it to a second payload slot. That's why I need to add RCS, so that it can perform the active docking and connect to the module after separation. I'm also going to give it some small main engines for MCC burns and raising the perigee after aerocapture/aerobraking, and to allow it to be deorbited after it has finished it's mission (unless you want to use it as a sunshield :)).

ggrof

Reaction score
No, not stupid at all.
It will depend on your upper stage. With a Kulch upper stage, you must attach it to a second payload slot. That's why I need to add RCS, so that it can perform the active docking and connect to the module after separation. I'm also going to give it some small main engines for MCC burns and raising the perigee after aerocapture/aerobraking, and to allow it to be deorbited after it has finished it's mission (unless you want to use it as a sunshield :)).

I´ve got it!! Thanks for answer

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

Those mega-tugs will do you better if you want unmanned. Otherwise, you can pack two modules at a time in an XR5, and do a round trip.

No XR5. I´m trying to do that with the most "nowadays" realistic settings as possible