General Question Venus Space Station

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
No, with aerobraking, all you need is the atmosphere. If it were thinning, then we got problems.

ggrof

Reaction score
Indeed, aerobraking in Mars is much more difficult than Venus ans I don´t think progressive slower rotation will afect something. And aerobrake mfd is not so good using a DM-2 or Smerch as upper stage. So i have to do that in "guessing mode"

Unfortunately, I cannot run Cassiopee with the nowadays release of Energy Project. I will try to put it in a Ariane 6, that have very good Upper Stages that work with IMFD.

Until now, the Venus Station have 2 modules: a Neesys as core Stage and a Solaris Module for electronics. Because the sun is closer than Earth, i will need to send 2 polaris modules to avoid overheating and this is the next Stage. As you perceived, i will mainly use the modules from Orbiter Francophone.

The goal here is build a station that could receive a manned mission for atmosphere studies. And then, who knows, receive about 2 cool-pressurized landers (i have to choose them yet) and a ERV (used in Mars for Less) for a surface walk and safe return.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Do you have a forward docking port on your modules that you are trying to send to Venus? If so, I can kludge together a heat shield for you with SC3, then convert it to a .dll.

sitha241

Reaction score
No, with aerobraking, all you need is the atmosphere. If it were thinning, then we got problems.

It was just joke :D but if aerobrakeing is done contrary to planet's rotation it would have effect.small but it would :D

ggrof

Reaction score
Do you have a forward docking port on your modules that you are trying to send to Venus? If so, I can kludge together a heat shield for you with SC3, then convert it to a .dll.

Yes! I have! Thanks!! What I have to do? Send the scn or cfg files files for you?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Give me a mass and size of your modules, and the location of the docking port relative to the axis of the center of mass. I'll spin something up in Sketchup and throw together a SC3 file, then run it through Artlav's converter. Since it will not have any thrusters, the bug of losing exhaust textures will not be a concern, and you can have as many as you want in the scenario.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Hi, this sounds like an interesting project! However, it is a manned interplanetary mission, so you will need some 'mass movers', that is powerful interplanetary transport vessels.

Some of the proposed near-future Mars vessels would probably fit:
Mars 1994 – Russian Mars Transfer Vehicle 1.0
Crew Transfer Vehicles (CTV)
Mars For Less V1.6
RSC Energia Manned Mars Mission
NTR core propulsion stage

My proposal would be to move a manned station to Venus orbit, controlling unmanned landers and vehicles on the Venusian surface. Keep in mind, you will need a Venus departure stage for Earth return as well, the CEV will not have enough dV to do it alone.

Luke Skywalker

Rebel Alliance Hero
Reaction score
Or, you can use the WARP to shoot yourself towards Venus. Both Time and Resource Efficient. :thumbup:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Prototype Aeroshell

OK I have a prototype aeroshell here for you. Right now, it's exclusively SC3, and you need to have that addon installed to run it, since I am still making tweaks to it.
FYI, the little red circle on the flat part is your docking target, and the textures and meshes are a little crude for the time being, since this is not final.
Enjoy and try it out, then report any problems or suggestions.
:cheers:

Attachments

• Aeroshell.zip
    13.7 KB · Views: 7

ggrof

Reaction score
OK I have a prototype aeroshell here for you. Right now, it's exclusively SC3, and you need to have that addon installed to run it, since I am still making tweaks to it.
FYI, the little red circle on the flat part is your docking target, and the textures and meshes are a little crude for the time being, since this is not final.
Enjoy and try it out, then report any problems or suggestions.
:cheers:

Really great!! Thank you very much! But i have a question: is possible to reduce a little the size of the aeroshell?

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

Give me a mass and size of your modules, and the location of the docking port relative to the axis of the center of mass. I'll spin something up in Sketchup and throw together a SC3 file, then run it through Artlav's converter. Since it will not have any thrusters, the bug of losing exhaust textures will not be a concern, and you can have as many as you want in the scenario.

Here: this is the cfg file of one of the modules i´m using. Are you need something else?

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

i cannot upload a cfg file. How attach I files in forum?

ggrof

Reaction score
Hi, this sounds like an interesting project! However, it is a manned interplanetary mission, so you will need some 'mass movers', that is powerful interplanetary transport vessels.

Some of the proposed near-future Mars vessels would probably fit:
Mars 1994 – Russian Mars Transfer Vehicle 1.0
Crew Transfer Vehicles (CTV)
Mars For Less V1.6
RSC Energia Manned Mars Mission
NTR core propulsion stage

My proposal would be to move a manned station to Venus orbit, controlling unmanned landers and vehicles on the Venusian surface. Keep in mind, you will need a Venus departure stage for Earth return as well, the CEV will not have enough dV to do it alone.

Thanks for the suggestions!! In the beginning of this project, i used a Energia Rocket, using a Smerch for Trans Orbital Burn and a DM-2 for correction burns and orbital insertion. Because Delta V with this tugs is limited, aerobraking in Venus Atmosphere was necessary, aided by a prograde burn to avoid entry. The problem was the assembling of the modules...

So i tried (and now i´m using) the Ariane 6 launcher. Equator launching, A lot of Delta V, a powerful engine (especially the upper stage) and a Fregat-kind vessel that i´m using to moving the modules in Venus Orbit for assembling. But it is far less realistic than Energia Rocket: is really exciting to made a aerobrake in Venus Atmosphere and explore the physics possibilities.

I will dock huge fuel tanks for Earth Return, but i´m not certain in how should be this stage for return. Maybe, some kind of upper stage that i can use for docking (A delta tug, for example). And I thinked to build the station in the Earth orbit, but the challenge is really build the station in Venus Orbit using remote systems

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Ok, I can scale it down when I export it to .msh format. It's currently 20m in diameter. How much smaller do you want it?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Delta IV? that's only 5m in diameter. This is just a singel piece, though. If I ever figure out the fracking animations, I can make a folding one. That's on the to-do list.

ggrof

Reaction score
What´s the standard size of a heatshield? I´m thinking about to re-use the energia rocket to mantain the realistics settings of a spaceflight and the size of the heatshield can be adjusted with the Buran-T diameter

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

the folding one could be a nice idea

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Yeah, I just need to spin it out in Sketchup. It may take a bit of fiddling to make it work. I'm thinking of something akin to this:
Go from this
new-kilo-cks-stainless-steel-folding-vegetable-steamer-basket-26cm-large-[2]-3310-p.jpg

to this
new-kilo-cks-stainless-steel-folding-vegetable-steamer-basket-26cm-large-3310-p.jpg

Minus the peforations, of course. ;)
Howver, this may prove to be too complex for me. I haven't been able to get a simple rotation in Spacecraft 3 yet. this may prove a lot more complex.

As for the Buran-T, it has a maximum payload diameter of 5.8 meters. That's probably not enough for the monolithic heat shield to be effective for a complete module.
Final Verdict: Give me some time to futz around with a model for the folding shield. I'll get back to you when I have more info.

ggrof

Reaction score
Haha! I have this vegetable steamer!!!
Ok!! i will wait. Thanks for the help.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
No problem. The idea actually comes from Mars Direct. I'll see if I can't find a pic or video of it.