Search Venera Program

thammond

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an existing addon for the historical Russian Venera program? I have seen an addon Venera-D, but that is for a future probe not one of the historical ones. Searching through different Orbiter forums seem to suggest that there was an addon created for the historical Verera program but could not find anything conrete about it.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I could make meshes for the Venera Orbiters, Landers and landing areas, if someone with a good knowledge of multistage or spacecraft configurations would take the time of getting them working.
I can handle some basic stuff but not realistic parametrization for a Venus probe landing.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I can do the configuration files.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Nice nice :speakcool: ! Thanks for the help.

OK, let me get organized regarding schematics and lander/orbiter versions.
There are some differences and not all the details are very well known.

As always, no release dates or pressure, but when something is ready I'll post it on the forum.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds good. Whenever you are done with the meshes I will be ready to make it fly.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Please see http://www.russianspaceweb.com/venera75.html for a nice animation of the landing sequence.

There are a lot of parachutes in there.
No problem in making meshes for all those but I guess that configuration might be complex. Getting the right parameters for the handling of a sphere entering the Venusian atmosphere is way beyond me....

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Here are some images of my entry capsule meshes. I modeled the inside for the Venera 9 lander. There are 3 parts and a parachute for the capsule. A bottom part, were the lander is located, a connecting ring and a top part that comes off via parachute. Actually, there's a first parachute that pulls the main one, but I think that we can skip that one for simplicity. I don't have any info on the actual chute color or size so I'll go with a very simple shape.

Here are some images of my progress:

tophol.jpg

capsuleinside.jpg

capsuleinside2.jpg

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
And here's the WIP lander mesh with a photo mapped on it. Actually, it's a mix of different photos to maximize coverage.

venera9lander2otuput.jpg

Of course it needs clean up, but the dimensions are right !

insane_alien

Reaction score
i didn't think it was possible but you have made venera look even more like an upside down lightbulb :p

looks good. i'll need to fly this when i'm done.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
i didn't think it was possible but you have made venera look even more like an upside down lightbulb :p

looks good. i'll need to fly this when i'm done.

V.V.L.E.S ?

N.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
i didn't think it was possible but you have made venera look even more like an upside down light-bulb

I followed the best schematics I could find. So the shape should be right. Now I'll add some details based on the mapped photo texture.

As far as I know, the lander didn't do any controllable flying, it just fell to the surface under a parachute... no RCS jets or anything!

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Some progress on the Venera lander mesh. It's supposed to be Venera 9 with the surface lights. I need to add an arm mounted instrument, so that at least there's something to extend after landing.
save

Last edited:

insane_alien

Reaction score
I followed the best schematics I could find. So the shape should be right. Now I'll add some details based on the mapped photo texture.

yes, you did follow the schematics faithfully, the craft has always reminded me of an upside down lightbulb, it is merely computer graphics that make it look even more so.

As far as I know, the lander didn't do any controllable flying, it just fell to the surface under a parachute... no RCS jets or anything!

yep, but i fly lots of other missions where there is little if any control. orbiter sort of functions like a screensaver i have on in the background.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I'm thinking the it would be nice to have some at least some rocks on the surface at the right coordinates. That would give something more to do (control the lander release and entry sequence and try to land at the historical locations).
But I guess it would depend on how well the spacecraft's entry parameters are correct. That is a little beyond me, but it would be fun to try it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The reentry is purely ballistic so you have no realistic aiming at all. You just drop the lander into a more or less huge landing ellipse and hope it lands close enough to the middle to be useful.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Good thing no one is in it. Lol.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Let me try again:

venera9renderjpg.jpg

Some details are generic and the landing structure legs is not 100% correct, but it respects the proportions and major features of the lander.