Challenge Varuna intercept

downloaderfan

Reaction score
Alright folks, here's my first challenge.

Backstory - This scenario takes place in an alternate earth from a parallel universe, where the industrial revolution & the space race began 100 years before earth from this universe. That's right, in that earth, the first human satellite was launched in the year 1857, humans landed on the moon in 1869, landed on mars in 1930 and by the year 2010, humans have completely colonized the moon,mars, certain moons of gas giants like Europa & Titan & sent satellites to most of the asteroids that were discovered at the time. But for some reason or the other, there has never been a close fly-by of the Kuiper belt object Varuna.

Now a newly founded private space agency wants to make a name for itself by sending the first satellite to space which would perform a fly-by of Varuna. However, due to a surge of newly founded private space agencies, nothing goes without competition.

The scenario(attached below) starts with the delta glider in LEO, with low inclination with respect to the ecliptic plane and the date being 5/5/2010. Your task will be to use the limited amount of fuel that the DG has and perform a close fly-by of Varuna with an altitude of 100 km. But due to competition, you can't wait beyond 10 years to launch the DG, meaning you'll have to perform the ejection burn before 5/5/2020. Also, once you begin your ejection burn, you note down the exact time. As soon as you begin your ejection burn, you have exactly 22 years to intercept varuna, not a second more than that.

So to summarize:

Perform the earth ejection burn anytime between 5/5/2010 & 5/5/2020.

Once you begin your ejection burn, you'll have to intercept Varuna before 22 years have passed.

You can use the scenario editor to move quickly to the date of your ejection burn.

Do not use the scenario editor to add/subtract fuel. (of course)

Things you can do to make this challenge simpler:

You can uncheck Nonspherical gravity sources, Radiation Pressure & Gravity-gradiant torque in the Parameters tab of Orbiter. Having these enabled leads to inclination changes with respect to the ecliptic in LEO, which just might be enough to cost you this challenge.

22 years of simulation time = 116 minutes in real time at 100000x. I get it, that's too much for most people, so again you can use the scenario editor to move to the future (you can't move backwards in time)when your coasting through space for long periods. It is kind of cheating since you'll be avoiding corrections to your trajectory which you would have otherwise performed if not using the scenario editor, but at least, by this point, you would have planned a trajectory that satisfies the above criteria, which is in itself, a big deal. I have provided sufficient fuel for corrections even if you don't use the scenario editor while coasting though space, but you'll have to use the IMFD map program to it's fullest.

You know your limitations better than anyone else, choose wisely. :hello:

How to post the results:

After you've reached Varuna, post an image of the DG near Varuna. Like the image below.

105nl9d.png

No dates or any other solution revealing information on the screenshot.

Right after you've completed your initial earth ejection burn, note down the total dv available (main engine dv + rcs). Write about that here.

After reaching Varuna, note down the total dv available & again post that here. (Also say if you have actually used the scenario editor after the earth ejection burn while coasting though space to quickly move ahead in your trajectory)

Good luck fellow orbinauts :thumbup:, this ain't an incredibly complex/tough challenge in my opinion so try this one out. You just might succeed. :)

And lastly, you'll need the Varuna addon for this challenge. [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4346"]Varuna[/ame]

Depending on the response, I'll post the solution sooner or later.

Attachments

• Varuna intercept.scn
    755 bytes · Views: 9
Last edited:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does Varuna work in 2016?

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Nevermind, answered my own question. It works. :thumbup:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
1) You're missing a texture

2) Why start in orbit? Why not start on the ground?

downloaderfan

Reaction score
1) You're missing a texture

I'm sorry but I don't get this one. Are you saying installing the Varuna addon is too much work? I already have posted the link for Varuna in my initial post so I don't see what's missing from my side.

2) Why start in orbit? Why not start on the ground?

Because getting into an earth orbit from the ground fuel efficiently is in itself a challenge. It's much more difficult than a fuel efficient ascent on the moon or mars. If you have never tried to do a fuel efficient earth ascent before, you most probably are not going to get it perfectly right the first time. That means if I had to start this challenge from the ground, I would have 2 options:

1)Either give enough fuel so that most people can perform a relatively inefficient ascent & still complete the challenge, which would ultimately not make this a challenge at all because I would have given too much dv for free already.

2)Give minimum amount of fuel to get to LEO, which would mean for most people, this challenge would already be over by the time they get to LEO, forget about the remaining 20 year trip.

So I decided to start from an orbit. :)

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I mean, Varuna isn't supposed to be white like that. Mine has a nice texture.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Orbiter 2010 or 2016?

Varuna apparently uses deimos_hires.dds.

I'm not sure where that comes from. But I have it.

downloaderfan

Reaction score
Orbiter 2010 or 2016?

It has the same appearance in both Orbiter 2010 & 2016, but the white texture is what you get after extracting the Varuna addon in your orbiter installation directory.

Re-extracting Varuna might help you get the same texture, that is, if you wish to get that.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Orbiter 2010 or 2016?

Varuna apparently uses deimos_hires.dds.

I'm not sure where that comes from. But I have it.

Yeah, anyone know where deimos_hires.dds comes from?

You could alter the varuna.msh file to make it read deimos.dds... that works as a quick fix:

0011_zps2ak7njid.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

Edit: I did find a higher-res Deimos texture here: [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2688"]Deimos Hires[/ame]

... but it has the same name as the original Orbiter Deimos.dds file, and overwrites it. Still, it works... ;)

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Edit #2: I found where the deimos_hires.dds texture comes from: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4337"]Deimos Hi-Res[/ame]

downloaderfan

Reaction score
Yup, it seems that if you have installed Deimos Hi-Res by BrianJ, Varuna uses that texture, otherwise, the white texture from my initial post is what you get.

Last edited:

T1234

Reaction score
Mine is not showing up at all in 2016,only the transparent collision surface marked Varuna, Is it the latest D3D9 client?

downloaderfan

Reaction score
Mine is not showing up at all in 2016,only the transparent collision surface marked Varuna, Is it the latest D3D9 client?

Yup, if you load the "Varuna" scenario that comes along with the Varuna addon using orbiter.exe instead of Orbiter_ng.exe, you'll be able to see Varuna.

Last edited:

T1234

Reaction score
Still no mesh in sight,it must be my video card and D3D9.It's odd because when I make meshes myself there are no problems.

downloaderfan

Reaction score
Ok, it's been a week now since I've posted this challenge, so I'll have to ask these questions.

Anybody tried completing this challenge???
Succeeded?
Failed???
O-F advanced/expert flying community dead???
Anything???

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I want to participate, but my Orbiter time has been busy beta testing the new Multistage 2015.

Also, I, like probably most here, am in the middle of the transition to Orbiter 2016, so this challenge has a bit of bad timing for me.

Please leave this open for something like a month.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm getting back up to speed on my orbital mechanics first. :p

I noticed... my Varuna is almost 90 degrees to the ecliptic? That can't be right. Varuna is supposed to be on the same inclination as Pluto.

Last edited:

downloaderfan

Reaction score
I noticed... my Varuna is almost 90 degrees to the ecliptic? That can't be right. Varuna is supposed to be on the same inclination as Pluto.

Yes, when I started planning for this challenge in TransX, Quaoar & Varuna both looked almost 90 degrees inclined to the ecliptic, way more inclined than any other rock I had in orbiter. I looked at wikipedia for their ecliptic inclinations and found that they were around 8 & 17 degrees respectively. So I shrugged this off as some anomaly which I just didn't understand & continued with my planning. But, by the time I was done with my planning, it became very clear it was actually inclined to the ecliptic by somewhere around 90 degrees. Checked using the scenario editor, yup, it was 96 degrees. Even quaoar is inclined by 96 degrees with a different LAN. Both made by the same dev.

The polar inclination of Varuna is what differentiates this challenge from a typical sling challenge and makes it somewhat more difficult. As I've already said, this challenge takes place in a parallel universe so you can think of Varuna actually being in a polar orbit around the sun in that universe. :)

Weird meshes, weird inclinations. Yes, we have it all in this challenge brothers. :cheers: :thumbup:

Last edited:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oddly, the config file says "Inclination = 17.158", though it says the units are radians. Which might be the problem. 17 degrees would be about 0.3 radians. 17 radians is like 974 degrees.

downloaderfan

Reaction score
Oddly, the config file says "Inclination = 17.158", though it says the units are radians. Which might be the problem. 17 degrees would be about 0.3 radians. 17 radians is like 974 degrees.

True, changing the inclination & LAN to

Code:
Epoch = 2016.57905544148              ; 
SemiMajorAxis = 6442950279469.6591797 ; meters
Eccentricity = 0.05052422717173251
Inclination = 0.2997823783734367975            ; rad
LongAscNode = 1.6982957103063498483      ; rad
LongPerihelion = 0.1165669506359328922     ; rad
MeanLongitude = 1.9904093660688890743       ; rad

in Varuna.cfg fixes the incorrect LAN & inclination of Varuna.

But don't do that until you complete this challenge. :lol:

Last edited:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I'm thinking the best way to approach this challenge is to approach Jupiter from the poles; that would give you a 90 degree plane change pretty easily I should think?