Request Vapor trails and condensation

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi. It would be great to have an addon, that you could add vapor trails and, condensation to you ships at take off and landing.Like seen on the space shuttle in this video.Thanks
:speakcool:

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
You mean this:

01.jpg

Yes, that would be very nice. But something tells me that re-writing the .dll is involved. But she sure was beautiful coming in like that :speakcool:!

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Awesome vid. Had to watch that in HQ and full screen. Those wing-tip trails were bad-ass.

But what struck me the most was that HUD. Any chance we could get that for SSU? The speed and alt tapes are easier to read than just numbers in boxes, but most of all was that integrated ILS which outlined the whole runway, THAT was insanely cool!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
but most of all was that integrated ILS which outlined the whole runway, THAT was insanely cool!

You get something similar with Axial MFD - OK it's just a circle but it's right on the mark where the runway is.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
You get something similar with Axial MFD - OK it's just a circle but it's right on the mark where the runway is.

Looking at the pics over at O-H, it seems to be the VOR source, not the start of the runway (start meaning the place you should try to touch-down, thus landing in the right direction).

Also, while those 3 arced lines could be marginally useful for docking, they seem rather intrusive for anything else.

It would be nice just to get a runway start marker alone, even if nothing else (meaning the rest of the actual shuttle HUD stuff).

andysim

Reaction score
amen to contrails, i was a little awstruck at the ones on the landing yesterday. :lol:

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The question is: How do you determine when the stream is rendered? What is the criteria? Seems like it'd be different for every vessel, but if we can reduce this down to some simple conditions, it wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Probably whenever a vessel enters a high G pitch-up motion.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
it's a function of AOA, I believe. At least, that's how FSX does it on the F/A-18.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
it's a function of AOA, I believe.
AOA and speed I would think. What you are really interested in is how large the pressure differential is across the wing, isn't? Ie, low pressure on the downstream side causes the condensation to form. Atmospheric conditions would also have an impact, but we don't model that in Orbiter.

How about making the particle stream a function of the induced drag? Induced drag could be calculated from VESSEL::GetLiftVector. The stream density would be a piecewise function of induced drag:
induced drag < lower threshold; stream density = 0
induced drag > upper threshold; stream density = 1
lower threshold < induced drag < upper threshold; stream density = f(induced drag - lower threshold)

I'm not sure what would look better: f(drag) = k*drag; f(drag) = a*(e^(b*drag)-1);or something else.

EDIT: Thresholds and stream growth constants could be settable in a config file on a class-by-class basis.