[USA Uni Question] Does 3yr year of language matter for Science / Eng course

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Question for current/recent students from USA universities, doing a pure science, engineering or comp sci course ...

My son is finishing freshman High School (in a 9 out of 10 K12 school rating place), and is being advised to do 3 years of language as best prep for a science or eng degree. He can't stand doing language, and would much rather do the minimum 2 years of French (in his case) and then use the 3rd year slot for 2 more science or programming or physics or electronics semester electives.

Any thoughts? What would you recommend? Go with the guidance and do 3 years French (suspecting it's a job preservation scheme), or stick with your hunches and use the slots to do something more interesting? And what would you think the universities would say?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I was adviced today for my first year at the University of Oklahoma, doing an Aerospace Engineering program. At least here language classes will contribute absolutely nothing to an engineering degree. (sure, you can use it for international business, but it's still NO CREDIT) All that's necessary is the two years in highschool. I've taken three years of Spanish for the Distinguished Achievement Plan...though I'm not sure what that does for me if anything.

Last edited:

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Your talking to the wrong schools, or your thinking that Language means spoken dialect.

If he is looking to get a bachelors degree(4 year degree) and in a science field, he need not take more than a semester of foreign language, if that. If its a computer science degree, then he will need three years of programming language, and three years of math (i still say any language other than your native language is a foreign language). at least two science semesters, and a cadre of other gen ed courses. Science being the leading prerequisite.

I speak three languages, C++, Visual Basic, Java(technically its a scripting language) and I am semi skilled in American Engrish?! I write fluent dar-grams, dar-glyphs, and hens-pecks. If scribble or scrawl were formally recognized I'd be a master!

I have a BS in Network and Communications Management, and am a double masters student in Education and Information Technology Management. I am three classes away from each degree. I have never taken a foreign spoken language class. I am attending Webster University, and am a Devry University Graduate. However none of my degrees are science degrees.

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It depends on the school. It was a University or College of Engineering-levied requirement at the University of Washington. I ended up having to pay for almost half of an entire quarters worth of credits that were not counted toward my degree in order to make up for not having any foreign language prior to college.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I sometime think that they are just trying to boost up the foreign language faculty with random statements like needing 3 years of *foreign* language for an *english* engineering course !!

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Look around at various universities you might be considering--most should have their degree requirements online. I went to the University of Texas - Austin for a BS in Computer Science, and it required either two or four semesters (don't remember) of a non-English foreign language. I was able to get credit from having taken and passed the AP Spanish Language test during high school.

More important to minimizing crap you have to deal with in college than taking a language in high school is AP or IB classes. Take as many as you can do well in, and do well in all of them. That directly translates to college credits, which means an easier and cheaper ride in college.