Project Updated SLS for Orbiter 2016 (and 2010)

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't understand why you use attachments for climbing the hill. Shouldn't it be more correct to adjust touchdown points position accordingly to the position above the hill?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't understand why you use attachments for climbing the hill. Shouldn't it be more correct to adjust touchdown points position accordingly to the position above the hill?

Or make the hill a hill, by using 3D terrain.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's the way it's done in the SSU Crawler, the touchdown points are adjusted based on a pre-determined position parameter relative to the pad vessel. The attachment point remains unmodified and perfectly level just like the real deal. The rear end is jacked up while the forward end remains jacked down to keep the MLP level.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Also, the pad ramp is measured in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(slope), not degrees. So it's 5% grade, not 5°s.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Thanks. Well for 2016 i haven't gotten the touchdown points right:(

But with attachment You can attach any crawler, truck,... and get it up the hill.

Or make the hill a hill, by using 3D terrain.

it is a mesh. From by understanding in 2016 it can't go up add on terrain/mesh

I will look at the SSU crawler code. But I guess it is only for the terrain mesh with SSU?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And 5% grade is about 2.8°

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess the crawler trucks can turn only 6 degrees as noted on the red wheel?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess the crawler trucks can turn only 6 degrees as noted on the red wheel?
Yes. The turn to/from Pad B is a max angle turn requiring all 6°s.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks
I did noticed some animation issues on the SSU crawler. Maybe it is fixed now though. When I raise the body up the lower arms stay in place.

SSUCRAWLER1.jpg

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey DaveS does the crawler in the last released version of SSU for orbiter 2010 does it have the automatic level,or Jel system in it?or is it only in the latest version?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hey DaveS does the crawler in the last released version of SSU for orbiter 2010 does it have the automatic level,or Jel system in it?or is it only in the latest version?
It has always had it, even in 2010-P1.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just downloaded ssu 3.0 zip. But can't seem to find any info/doc on the crawler operation.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I just downloaded ssu 3.0 zip. But can't seem to find any info/doc on the crawler operation.
There isn't any. All the focus so far has been on the shuttle itself, not the ground ops.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. But will another hill the crawler will not be able to climb up right? So maybe the attachment is the way to go for a universal thing.

If the SSU crawler will do it all then not sure if I should continue with my crawler?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks. But will another hill the crawler will not be able to climb up right? So maybe the attachment is the way to go for a universal thing.

If the SSU crawler will do it all then not sure if I should continue with my crawler?

Well, the SSU crawler is tougher to use and has more features. So there is still room left for creativity. We still have no "autopilot" for the crawler.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I just needed that encouragement.:salute:

Ok on the crawler and hill. Yes the SSU crawler climbs the hill. BUT it is a SSU Hill. So it has other structures there.

SLSTOWERCRAWLER1.jpg

So maybe we can make a new mesh for the ssl to match the slope of the SSu and remove the structures?

I didn't have the SSU pad when I did this scenario

ssupadslstower.jpg

SLSTOWERPADISSUE.jpg

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks. I just needed that encouragement.:salute:

Ok on the crawler and hill. Yes the SSU crawler climbs the hill. BUT it is a SSU Hill. So it has other structures there.

So maybe we can make a new mesh for the ssl to match the slope of the SSu and remove the structures?

The hill will be the same for both, I doubt NASA will make the ramp different.

If I remember correctly, it did not even change between Apollo and STS.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But I think the user may not want all the structures on there is SSU. I guess we will see.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But I think the user may not want all the structures on there is SSU. I guess we will see.

You are not using the SSU crawler anyway, so why worry so much about SSU?

Sure, we rely on a FSS/RSS "vessel" to accept the MLP. But practically, all we want from a crawler perspective is just something where the MLP can rest on.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well this was the ssu crawler. Yes something to carry the mlp. But also need something to carry up the hill to the launchpad.

I was using a different mesh that needs work to fit the ssu crawler

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I was using a different mesh that needs work to fit the ssu crawler

Was never expected by SSU and is not supported. Again, I would rather change the mesh than the crawler in that context.