New Release Universal Cars and Cargo for Orbiter (UCGO) released

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
No.
I meant changing the transponder frequency of the object/vessel
he just told you how. go to the nav screen and under your nav frequencies (nav1 nav2 etc.) there will be a XPDR frequency. THAT is what your ship is broadcasting. so change your XR and arrow XPDR to 121.05 and 121.10.

this way when you enter 121.00 into nav1 it will lock onto your landing site.

halcyon

Reaction score
Crud I thought that was a separate radio from the nav radios.
Hehe..was expecting to edit a config file. Thanks.

Any input on the second question?

Ark

Reaction score
Also, the base I built on the moon isn't an official landing site so it won't show up when I try to choose a target in map or any other MFD.
I tried leaving a DGIV on site, but I can't select that as a target either apparently because it's not in flight.

How is everyone else finding the the base they built again without flying around and around waiting for the XPDR signal to pick up?
Is there a way to make the base I built an "official" landing site? Can I add a VOR beacon?

I just create a new base config file with some rudimentary surface tiles. Alternatively the crater/base that comes with the HLV addon makes a great "blank" landing zone.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Never used time acceleration during the transfer but let me try it again and just sit and wait. The last couple of times, I tried to control the transfer vessel.

EDIT: No dice. Also, the DG airlock doors are open and there is other crewmembers on boad the DG

I had this problem whilst beta-testing UCGO, but only when the vessel I was transferring to had been damaged (i.e. decompressed) or when Orbiter was lagging a bit. If this keeps happening (and perhaps if you can isolate what circumstances cause it to happen) you may want to let Dan know.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
WARNING~ YOUR MESH IS CRAP.

Ok .... I've got my first car built and I can't get rid of that INFURIATING warning message at the bottom of the screen. ( perf issue ) telling me my mesh is crap !

I've looked all thru the documentation for developers and there was nothing mentioned about removing that :censored: warning, just what I already know about mesh groups.

The mesh has 8 groups, only 1 is textured ( the driver ) , 5 materials, and there is NO WAY on Earth that I'm going to remove any more mesh detail from the body. I might as well be drivin around in a block of wood if I did that for cryin out loud !

BTW, removing normals from the non-textured group had no effect. It just made for a smaller mesh file size. I even tried chopping off the drivers legs at the waist ( I used yours ) for a lower over all poly count.

So how do we get rid of that warning message short of :compbash: ???

Other than that, it works beatifully :)

:10sign:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Group and material are okay, poly are not. The doc recommend a maximum of 6000 which is really possible, mine have 4500. Read the doc or read here please:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14014

Now even if your cars have more poly than the dgIV, Arrow and 3x the count of the truck you'll be happy to learn that the message trigger only at 15'000. So you only need to save 1600 poly :) (It would still be higher than DGIV, Arrow and cars but .. voila)

Happy poly saving :)

Dan

Last edited:

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Sweet !
I've been rolling it over in my head for an hour or two and I think I know how to crunch the mesh poly count even farther. I'll have to get rid of the poor legless driver and give up the see thru windows ( I'll use the polys I save to build a dolly for him :p ) but I should make out with room to spare.

The down side is I'll have to deconstruct the mesh to rebuild the vehicle but the Colonial marines need that new APC and they need it STAT !:salute:

The new mesh is much leaner without as much detail loss than I figured. The data from Anim8r for the cleaned up mesh is:

Points = 10751
Edges = 15339
Faces = 6431
Memory = 1.08MBytes

UCGO really is a GREAT add on because it's forcing me to be a better modeler out of necessity.
By the way, I chopped out enough polys to make a squad of simple dollys for that poor legless driver.

Last edited:

PaulG

Reaction score
Ultimate destruction of the Arrow et al

Check this out.

Prestep - Have DGIV debris on max
Step 1, Close everything on the arrow
Step 2, dock the DGIV
Step 3, open the DGIV inner and outer hatches
Step 4, deorbit the Arrow (just keep full thrust retrograde)
Step 5, wait until the Arrow is about 50km altitude, and dropping like a brick
Step 6, Open the arrow bay hatch
Step 7, Watch the fireworks:

untitled1.jpg

The arrow is in the front, the DGIV is breaking up in the back.

(Sorry if this was the wrong place to post, just thought you'd all enjoy)

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
I had this problem whilst beta-testing UCGO, but only when the vessel I was transferring to had been damaged (i.e. decompressed) or when Orbiter was lagging a bit. If this keeps happening (and perhaps if you can isolate what circumstances cause it to happen) you may want to let Dan know.

Well, the DG isn't damaged. But I do run an older computer. I normaly run at about 25 FPS. Would that cause this behavior?

Dambuster

Reaction score
Well, the DG isn't damaged. But I do run an older computer. I normaly run at about 25 FPS. Would that cause this behavior?

When I managed to do that 'using' lag, I had noticed that every time I transferred a UMMU, Orbiter would freeze for maybe a second, before resuming. If I clicked the 'Transfer' button very quickly, then I'd get this problem.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Sweet !
Points = 10751
Edges = 15339
Faces = 6431
Memory = 1.08MBytes
it's forcing me to be a better modeler out of necessity.

Congrat :cheers:

Once used to a minimum of optimisation it's a piece of cake and you can do GREAT models but that are also FPS friendly. (or use the saved material to add more details)

Dan

Buzz313th

Reaction score
Thanks for asking Woo.

I woulda asked, but I'm too new here.. ;)

JB

destinos

Reaction score
apologies if this is covered someplace, but I was trying out the demo with all the unpackable base modules on the moon, and i couldnt seem to get the modules to link together. Is there a keystroke that does this?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
No, you have to move them in to place your self, just makes sure the doors are next to each other, if you dont you'll die when you go out without a suit

destinos

Reaction score
Hah, yeah i discovered as much last night, when the little dude laid down and put his dark sunglasses on. I thought that was a great touch.

Buzz313th

Reaction score
Ooops seem everyone forgot it so I thought I could simply dismiss it discretely :)
Well, there is not much work to do but I'm in "slowmo" lately. I'll try to finish this night.

Dan

Nope, didn't forget at all.. Just didn't wanna bug ya.

JB