Project Universal Car for Orbiter (UCO)

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Can this be applied to propeller aircraft, for the increase in pitch sound rather than just getting louder, as it is in OrbiterSound.v3 ?

DgIV do it at some extent. Anyway don't overestimate the effect, without several samples to cover the range it turn quickly in a unrealistic siren.
For a car it's ok as engine rpm change.

Would there be any way for a vessel to "spawn" a vehicle that has a sort of AI (like, say, a fuel truck)?

The only AI is waypoint AI, doing a refuel truck that come and refuel is not in range of "universal" because of the various shape of vessels.

Anyway with waypoint AI you can do smart things. For exemple refuel truck that stop at each pad like if it was refuelling. (IA include "limit speed" or "stop nn second" things)

Will there be an SDK for people that want to make DLL cars? That way you'd get possibly more functionality but keep the "universal" bit.

The more open an addon is to other the more complicated it is. The hell is in humain/code interface and with config file you have a lot to do ;). So not a SDK but I can release open source code snippet so users that want to design their own dll cars can interface with specifical UCO things like grappling cargo etc. What would you like to change/add ?

I'm working on a 6x6 troop carrier and this comes into light at just the right time :)

Great but remember yet UCO support only 4x4 , even if I add two you'll have only the choice to put them at very rear to not have strange turning motion.

Question: Will the universal module take advantage of the nose wheel plug in to make turning your vehicle easier or will it be coded to have a default setting that relies on the main thrust speed ?

Sorry what is the "nose wheel plug in"

How will UCO handle vehicles such as forklifts? If there's support for forklifts, I was thinking of doing the Hyster forklift used to move the demated SSMEs around between the OPFs and SSME Processing Facility.

I plan to add a terrian forlift but it will only be able to handle "normalised cargo" as I said above. This said you can design every sort of UCO cargo as long as it fit in the normalised bounding box (1.5x1.5x1.5)

Internal sound should be different than external, and also it may vary, depending on the position of the viewer in external view, just like with planes.

Done already, this said the internal environnment is minimal. A complexe VC is possible for one specific addon not for a "universal one" because each addon would need specific code.

Now if a talented modeler want to join the team it would be welcome, martian forlift and some other rovers or truck would be really nice to add. Well is busy also and I can't do all the models alone.

First grappling test, work like a charm:

UCOCarBetaOrbiter3.jpg

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi Dan

Nice to know that this project.

Probably the best feature you can add in an SDK is key commands out, that way 3rd party developers can make and program a crane, trailer etc separately; Attach them via attachment points to the UCO vessel but be able to control their vessel within yours.

Basically you supply functions that can output any key presses within your vehicle and present the key pressed to the attached vessel.

Also the output of the current state of the wheels, lights etc would be handy to make trailers.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It would be a shame if UCO doesn't support SC3 vessels.

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Dan,

Great to see you developing for Orbiter again. If you need a beta tester, you know where to look!

Cheers and Beers,

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com

I'm ready to have a look if you have a link and explain how it could support it.

Dan,
Great to see you developing for Orbiter again. If you need a beta tester, you know where to look!
Cheers and Beers,

Hello Sun, glad to see you on board again:)

Beer and cheers

Dan

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

Why would it? Couldn't the mesh from an SC3 vessel be used with a UCO config and DLL?

just wondering really.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think I will make a module for BattleTech vehicles one day, so we can have vehicles with rocket engines. :p

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Will UCO support big trucks with detachable containers and flatbeds?

Will DGIV support a fuel truck? I recall kids in the classroom, when I had my workshop, asking where the truck was when you replenished fuel.

Could it be possible to mount a payload inside a DGIV using a crane?

Before having a model for VC, nice sketches might be needed to start modelling

I modelled a rover that is available in my tutorial on how to make/improve surface bases. It is used for the Olympus base improvement. Unfortunately it is untextured.

You may use it and modify it if you want.

I think you've missed the point... UCO will have it's own config, just like SC3. It doesn't really need rocket engines, air control surfaces and thrusters, does it? ;)

Unless you make batmobile or a dragster...:lol:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
This might be a bit off-topic, but when it comes to a tow-vehicle I've found that universal cargo deck works pretty good. The KSC environment addon ([ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2436"]KSC Environment V2[/ame]) has a utility cart and with UCD you can add a UMMU to the driver's seat, cargo on the bed, and a DGIV for push-back... Also UCD effects vehicle performance.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Work in progress (texturing not finished)

ForkLift with rear directionnal wheels.
UCO3008news1.jpg

And no, the lift doesn't lift, please don't ask :)

Dan

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Looks very cool Dan. Maybe the tines could eventually contain an attachment point or a utility could be built to attach something like on the Grey Goose add-on. If I recall, it had a small utility that you could activate from the modules tab to attach/remove items, and it worked pretty well without the crazy warp speed bug.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
No need for that, every car support the "universal cargo" feature if set in config file, here the forklift can grapple/release one cargo. On the top/right you can see the "VC" view of the forklift.

UCO3008news2.jpg

Cheers

Dan

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Dan: I just used computerex' Attachment Management plug-in and attached my KSC tow vehicle to the SSU orbiter. Also did some tow tests and other than the fact that the attachment point is rigid rather than flexible, I came across no issues at all. None.

Maybe you're confusing attachment points with docking ports?

Attachment points was designed specifically to circumvent the limitations of docking ports so that they could be used for moving structures like robotic arms.

Docking ports do have known limitations and bugs like if you try to dock two landed vessels together, you will get ejected from the solar system at an insane and unbelievable velocity.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Thanks for test, in anyway I'll not use attachment, my method work flawlessly without bug, with about no perf impact and rigid towing doesn't look really good at all. As cars can have about every shape it would be even worse with users designed cars.

Towing would be cool of course but doesn't look essential at all as it look so unrealist. I would preffer crane that can realisticly load a truck or vessel but here we have collision limitation. of course we might find a workaround but that may be a complete project in itself.

There is still a LOT of work to do on UCO, models, prog, beta test, doc.
I think that a complete and well done UCO can add already a new dimension even without tow & crane. The alternative is to try to do everything and never release anything due to complexity & time required ;)

Dan

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
my method work flawlessly without bug, with about no perf impact and rigid towing doesn't look really good at all. As cars can have about every shape it would be even worse with users designed cars.

Towing would be cool of course but doesn't look essential at all as it look so unrealist. I would preffer crane that can realisticly load a truck or vessel but here we have collision limitation. of course we might find a workaround but that may be a complete project in itself.

There is still a LOT of work to do on UCO, models, prog, beta test, doc.
I think that a complete and well done UCO can add already a new dimension even without tow & crane. The alternative is to try to do everything and never release anything due to complexity & time required ;)

Dan

Well, if the config file modification is not too difficult, I agree. I remember when I started playing with Doug's XR-5 and I wondered what I could place in the cavernous cargo bay. No sooner did I think about using Greg Burch's SSBBs then someone converted them for that purpose. I think the same here. Dan tends to have very nice documentation with his work, so I am not concerned here.

The shuttle may be able to be attached in the same way with a UCO definition that is otherwise ignored by other things. Let's play with it first in beta. It may be easier and more stable to work with than the current attachment methods. Dan tends to raise the bar with his add-ons, and Orbinauts crave them quite a bit.

Cheers to all,