ULA Launchers as an option for NASA

plainsight

Reaction score
Why doesn't NASA take one of ULA's many launcher vehicles at their disposal and just mount a manned capsule and a docking module to it? I'm sure ULA would provide such modules so the US keeps it's ISS resupply independence. Are they running out of money?

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
they're busy with it! I can't find the article anymore, but NASA funded ULA to build an Atlas V that can carry a manned capsule. I will search fort you (and the rest of course)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
they're busy with it! I can't find the article anymore, but NASA funded ULA to build an Atlas V that can carry a manned capsule. I will search fort you (and the rest of course)
Not NASA, Bigelow Aerospace. That was a while ago though.

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not NASA, Bigelow Aerospace. That was a while ago though.

I think they also got CCDev money to study man rating Atlas V.

I think the answer to your question plainsight is that NASA and the government don't know what they are going to do yet (sadly). They could very well end up with the F9 and the Atlas V man rated and competing for NASA and Bigelow contracts. Or we could see an extension of the shuttle and maybe an Orion on an Atlas as the primary replacement. At this point it all depends on what congress is willing to compromise on and what Obama is willing to fight for.

:cheers:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
thanks but no. It was an article with a picture of a possible Atlas V concept with a manned capsule... I'm frustrated I can't find it :compbash:

Like this?

94c30c54a4c4.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:31 ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 ----------

ef580bfce948.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:31 ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 ----------

db4f38edee99.jpg

Reaction score
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=30136

NASA announced today its selection of United Launch Alliance to participate in its new Commercial Crew Developmenthttp://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=30136# (CCDev) Program. NASA created the CCDev Program to develop system concepts, key technologies, and capabilities that ultimately will be used in commercial crew space transportation systems.http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=30136# ULA was awarded $6.7 million to develop an Emergency Detection System (EDS), which is a significant element necessary for a safe and highly reliable human rated launch vehicle.
[FONT=geneva,arial,verdana][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=geneva,arial,verdana][SIZE=-1]The EDS monitors critical launch vehicle and spacecraft systems and issues status, warning and abort commands to the crew during their mission to low Earth orbit. ULA studies show that the development of the EDS will help meet the requirements for human rating the Atlas V and Delta IV launch vehicles.[/SIZE][/FONT]