TrackIR and disappearing HUD

Kashirigi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a look through the manuals, searched the forum and did a general internet search for this problem and came up empty handed. I'm new to Orbiter, so I figured this was probably the appropriate location.

I'm using a TrackIR Track Clip Pro and Freetrack with Orbiter. For the most part, it works wonderfully, but with the generic cockpit and 2D panel view the HUDs don't display properly (which could be a problem). The virtual cockpit HUD is working fine (at least in the Delta Glider), but not all ships have a virtual cockpit with a HUD.

For the other two view modes, the velocity vector displays correctly, but any other information (heading, ladder, etc) disappears after flashing on the screen for about 1/8th of a second.

This problem disappears if I stop using TrackIR/Freetrack, so I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem and what, if any, workarounds there are, besides turning off TrackIR during HUD-critical times.

Should there be any interest, I would be happy to post how I got my inexpensive head tracking system to work (well, cheaper than buying the full TrackIR package. . .)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Peskie

Reaction score
I'm using a TrackIR Track Clip Pro and Freetrack with Orbiter. For the most part, it works wonderfully, but with the generic cockpit and 2D panel view the HUDs don't display properly (which could be a problem). The virtual cockpit HUD is working fine (at least in the Delta Glider), but not all ships have a virtual cockpit with a HUD.

I had the same results with the TrackIR software.

Kashirigi said:
For the other two view modes, the velocity vector displays correctly, but any other information (heading, ladder, etc) disappears after flashing on the screen for about 1/8th of a second.

The standard behaviour when panning in 2D (e.g. via a joystick HAT button) is to blank/remove the HUD and if the view is re-centered (with HOME key) or panned back close to center the HUD will return. With head tracking Orbiter never thinks the view is exactly centered so the HUD is removed.

In 2D view if you disable/pause tracking (not sure if Freetrack has a hot-key for this, TrackIR does) then center the view (with HOME) the HUD will reappear. I only occasionally use TrackIR with Orbiter and then only in the 3D VC (toggling/pausing TrackIR if I need to use the 2D panel for something).

A nicer behaviour would probably be to have the HUD "pan" off the screen as required; perhaps with some information or pointers visible.

Kashirigi

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your quick response. Now that I know it's a "feature" rather than a bug, I feel slightly better.

I didn't think of re-centering with head tracking turned off. It's a shame that it doesn't pan; perhaps I can request for panning to be added to the 2009 version.