TKS Spacecraft

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Why do you always use this word? TKS VA (rus ТКС ВА) was never called so, the word "Merkur" is, actually, just a translator's misheard.
(original phrase was "this one looks like your Mercury", but translator didn't heared the full sentence...)

Hi mc_, I just use Vozvrashchaemiy Apparat or VA for short when referring to it.

Also, TKS is Transportniy Korabl Snabzheniya.

Nice Blender mesh, but what for? Are you also modeling the TKS Spacecraft? :huh:

mc_

Reaction score
I just use Vozvrashchaemiy Apparat or VA for short when referring to it.
Also, TKS is Transportniy Korabl Snabzheniya.
That's right :thumbup:
I just couldn't resist to notice a mistake, common in western literature.

Are you also modeling the TKS Spacecraft? :huh:
I did.
But, when one man said, that he have some dimensions and other stuff about the TKS (i knew he really could have it), and my model is not correct a bit...
I have waited for the blueprints for a month or even more, and then decided to suspend a project.
It was on summer, year 2010.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Never do that. People who really have information will share it.
Not meaning that they couldn't have good intentions, just that that information probably isn't in digital format, is misplaced, etc, etc. So people will loose interest and forget about it.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Never do that. People who really have information will share it.
Not meaning that they couldn't have good intentions, just that that information probably isn't in digital format, is misplaced, etc, etc. So people will loose interest and forget about it.

Generally, you need to ask for it as often as you can, until somebody says clearly no.

mc_

Reaction score
Forgotten, then forgotten again, apeared next month with new promises, and then disappeared at all... It means "no", i think.

Anyway, it does not matter anymore.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Right, so I have modelled the RCEs correctly (or so I think), according to the few pictures I've seen, there is a lot of infrastructure on the top of the spacecraft, are there any images or information on some of this infrastructure?

Top of the spacecraft that looks a bit bare:
6331679075_77f2763fc1_b.jpg

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thats no solar panels, at this place, but actually the water-filled radiator panels.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I've modelled the PGTs, radiator panels, and done some all round improvement meshing. I'm off on holiday now, so development will restart in a week.

:tiphat:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I've modelled the PGTs, radiator panels, and done some all round improvement meshing. I'm off on holiday now, so development will restart in a week.

:tiphat:

Can you also create a VC if I point you on a little PDF that is in Russian language? :lol:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Can you also create a VC if I point you on a little PDF that is in Russian language? :lol:

I'm not sure if you are being serious, but if yes, I'll surely make a VC, if you can direct me to a tutorial. :tiphat:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Voyager

Reaction score
Need help translating comrade? I speak and read fluent Russian, Turkish, English, Latin, Japanese, Chinese, German, Polish, French, Italian, and Greek.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
:tumbleweed:

Don't worry, the actual addon developmend has been far from quiet, I have nearly finished documentation and working on the mesh. The good news is; that I have found a really good UV mapping tool that was under my nose all the time, so now the solar panels can actually be bendy like I originally intended.

Quick question though, can anyone find some specifications for the BSO, there is so little info on it that I don't even know what it stands for! :p

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Need help translating comrade? I speak and read fluent Russian, Turkish, English, Latin, Japanese, Chinese, German, Polish, French, Italian, and Greek.

:OMG:Holy hyperpolyglot batman! Are you serious?! I can barely get through French :embarrassed:.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I did a 'quick and dirty' conversion into Orbiter to test the mesh, and overall I am quite happy with it. It's only until now that I realised just how big this thing is. Double the size of the Soyuz and as large as Salyut 6, will get on to painting it now. :p

picture.php

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Right, I have staging questions.

The TKS is made up of the following parts:

Launch Configuration:
SAS:BSO:VA:FGB

Escape Abort Configuration:
SAS:BSO:VA (?)

On Orbit Configuration:
BSO:VA:FGB

De-orbit Configuration:
BSO:VA (?)

Re-entry Configuration:
VA

So my queries are:
1) Is the FGB jettisoned before or after the BSO de-orbit burn?
2) If the Proton-K rocket explodes (as they sometimes do :lol:), what is saved? I would have thought that the FGB would be abandoned with the lost rocket.

Thorton

sense offender
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So my queries are:
1) Is the FGB jettisoned before or after the BSO de-orbit burn?
2) If the Proton-K rocket explodes (as they sometimes do :lol:), what is saved? I would have thought that the FGB would be abandoned with the lost rocket.

1) FGB jettisoned before deorbit burn of course. If it's required it could stay on orbit as independent spacecraft.
2) In case of emergency LAS would save VA only. During the launch FGB remains unmanned so there is no reason to save it.

Wood

Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the BSO remained attached to the VA during re-entry providing attitude control, then was jettisoned to reveal the parachutes which were contained within the lower portion of the BSO. I think the diagram on this page has it mostly right, though I'm not sure if the upper section the with the de-orbit engines also seperates, I thought it was one piece. I may be confusing terms, however.

http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/histind/Almprog/tksalm.htm

almcap2x3.gif