Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

sorindafabico

Reaction score
I don't understand the complaints about MechJeb being "cheating". As we know, real astronauts rarely use manual control.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't understand the complaints about MechJeb being "cheating". As we know, real astronauts rarely use manual control.
Some people would argue that it "takes the challenge/fun away from the game."

But I need it for precise propulsive landings from Kerbin orbit (something an add-on still cannot do in Orbiter). I've also been doing rocket launches so frequently that it has become too tedious, so I use it for that as well.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
It's extremely useful for station building, or multi-launch interplanetary missions as well.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Anyway, when you use MechJeb in Career mode, you don't get it until after a few missions, and then you don't get all the bells and whistles either all at the same time... Let's remember that Armstrong taking manual control for so long for the final part of landing the Eagle 45 years ago was an anomaly due to unforeseen difficulties with the targeted landing spot.

Other than that, the Space Shuttle landed under manual input only for the final approach, it could very well do it all by itself but pilot's pride had to be satisfied somewhere in the mission... :) Who could nail it the closest to the centerline, threshold and shortest rollout distance were metrics in the bragging game :)

MechJeb is not cheating anymore than using TransX or IMFD in Orbiter.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
MechJeb is not cheating anymore than using TransX or IMFD in Orbiter.

This is why I refuse to use MechJeb. The manual piloting is why I play KSP occasionally. If I want to use something like MechJeb, I might as well play Orbiter (which I obviously do). For me, KSP > Orbiter in some cases (manual piloting), but KSP + MechJeb < Orbiter

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

On another note, I'm really really enjoying the contract system-it makes KSP so much more fun! :thumbup:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was orbiting the Mun in career, and happened to spot a small glint of something below me. Then, I suddenly realized... it was the arch! So I landed near it to investigate.

Pq4L11Z.png

j04xk5T.png

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Ah, yes... the equatorial arch! Good eyes, Pipcard. May this be the first of several anomalies that you find!

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
This may be the only one I discover on my own (due to its size).
Arches stop being rendered when they are around 20 km away. If you are on ~9-10 km mean altitude equatorial orbit you should spot one more anomaly -- a white, bigger than rocks dot on the surface while looking north on the near side of Mun. You should be also able to visually discover all the arches and the crashed UFO from a ~10 km polar orbit, if you have a few hours just for looking at the monitor and accelerating time only when you are on the not illuminated side. However, you won't find any monoliths this way.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I was orbiting the Mun in career, and happened to spot a small glint of something below me. Then, I suddenly realized... it was the arch! So I landed near it to investigate.

Pq4L11Z.png

j04xk5T.png

upVuN.png

Y'see back in my day...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
40% off yet again on Steam
With the Career update, it's a better deal than ever.
By now though, probably everyone following this thread already owns KSP. :lol:

Edit: bizarre typo

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
.24 is good, you can make much longer rockets without it wobbling all over the place. I think the game is more solid and stable. I have not tried the new features out. Meckjeb works fine but does not show up in the 64 bit version.

First of all, does anybody know if this affects the 64-bit Linux version?

Secondly, on account of this, and the fact that I'd like to take my current career mode run a bit further without getting into the new features, does anybody know of a way to force Steam to run a game without downloading the latest updates first?

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Set it to don't automatically update game in the properties section of the game in your Steam library.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
To stay at 0.23.5 for now you can opt-in into "previous" branch on the BETAS tab in the properties (it will be at 0.23.5 until the next major update).

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I was hoping I could keep going with my save from .23, but I'm using TAC LifeSupport and the new version of that breaks the save :(. Anyone know of a way to edit the save files to port old saves over without breaking life support? I tried manually adding in more life support reserves but they instantly depleted and my kerbals died anyway.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I'd do it this way:
Create a new sandbox game. Create a new vessel with the life support. Save it to a craft file or place it on the launchpad and exit from the game. Edit the old save and replace the MODULE sections responsible for life support with MODULE sections from the new vessel (either from the craft file you saved or from persistent.sfs file of the other game if you placed it on launchpad).

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I forget how to install 'Dragon Rider Capsule' now that the instructions on kerbalspaceport is gone :/

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I havn't tried this planet factory mod out, but there is an interesting planet called Inaccessible. It is shown at 7m30s, tried to put the time in the link but doesn't work on the forum. It is a heavy asteroid which rotates fast making it difficult to land.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-noihj30vo&t=7m30s"]Kerbal Space Program - New Planets - Planet Factory Mod - YouTube[/ame]