Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Yeah. The patcher doesn't delete files that need to be deleted. You need to delete one of the parts folders yourself, though there are several and I don't remember which one.

I searched for the answer on the KSC forum and found the answer.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Some of the parts moved to different directories and their part.cfg were renamed and that might be what is causing your problems.

Fortunately, Steam's differential update moves or deletes the files that have been moved or deleted from the remote repository, so if you have the game on Steam, you shouldn't have any problems with the duplicated parts.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
"accidentally":lol:

*ahem*

So two of the stabilizer fins I used were mounted to low and made the rocket topple over before launch: album.

---------- Post added 10-10-14 at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was 09-10-14 at 16:18 ----------

I present, the Polar Explorer, built with the intent of reaching one of the poles and flying back. It's basically a flying fuel tank:
g6c9wkK.jpg

Low-speed handling is abysmal, and going anywhere lower than 130m/s or so brings with it significant roll instability with almost guaranteed departure.

First I tried to set the wing ailerons as flaps, activating also the front and back pitch control surfaces as "flaps" with a deflection set to counter the nose-down command imparted by the "proper" flaps:
Naqk8Cc.jpg

Roll instability persisted, making it near unfliable, at least with full tanks.

An alternative approach was tested in order to make it useful for shorter hops where it doesn't have the entire polar cap available to land:
uxdx6Hg.jpg

hwi8IxK.jpg

IQyutzP.jpg

PO4iwNn.jpg

2kjsAo5.jpg

dYiUory.jpg

DpAByrb.jpg

1YBb7yM.jpg

k2k3QFh.jpg

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
screenshot426.png

Explorator II, commanded by Ordos Kerman, with Jebediah and Sean Kerman as pilots, and the twin scientists Bobrey and Bobsy, is currently undergoing testing around Minmus. Fully loaded, it has just under 12,000 m/s of Dv, discounting the Dv of the landers. The Kerbal think tank is mulling over where to send this creature. We're thinking of a mission to Vall.

wingnut

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Nice craft. Are those all default parts? The propellant tanks look unfamiliar, but I haven't played KSP recently...

Did you assemble the craft in orbit and how did the launcher(s) look like?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice craft. Are those all default parts? The propellant tanks look unfamiliar, but I haven't played KSP recently...

Did you assemble the craft in orbit and how did the launcher(s) look like?

The propellant tanks are KW parts. There are also some Kethane parts near the prow of the ship.

I separately launched the engine module, propellant tanks, and habitat/utility module. I was pretty impatient, so the launchers are basically all hideous asparagus strut contraptions. I actually got so bored of flying fuel missions to the tanks that I relaunched them full with just an engine, decoupler and struts with infinite fuel enabled. :hide:

When you have to totally restart your 10+ game-years old space program whenever you want the new version, you might start to take some shortcuts. I only play on sandbox mode these days because I'm so sick of the early game.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

We're now working on updating the currently cismunar-restricted Explorator I to interplanetary capability. In light of this, Jebediah will be returning to his command of that vessel.

The new propulsion module, featuring an additional engine for smaller burn times and more redundancy, as well as greatly increased propellant capacity, will arrive in Munar orbit in several days. The old propulsion module can operate as a self-contained spacecraft, and so will remain in orbit around Mun as a secondary return vehicle for the crew of the Mun base.

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Scott Manley said:
I will point out that this was recorded on Sunday, before the harpoon and engine failures on the real mission, the fact that my grabber failed also is merely a coincidence.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm getting very frustrated with KSP development in the last year or so.

- It seems that every version that comes out tinkers with the fuel tanks and engines and everything else.
- So many years into game development and I still can't even tell if this is supposed to be an alpha or a fully released, but continually updated game.
- The GUI is a mess. Velocity and artificial horizon at the bottom, altitude and ascent rate at the top. Icons for trajectory planner are TINY. The different sliders for corrections are difficult to grab and I often click the wrong one. Why did I bother buying a 1080p screen, if I could play the game in 200x100 resolution just fine?
- There is no way to compute launch windows from within the game, other than guessing them.
- Aerodynamics are a goddamn mess - still!

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Why did I bother buying a 1080p screen, if I could play the game in 200x100 resolution just fine?
You need at least around 768 pixels of render window height to be able to press some of the buttons at bottom in non-scalable part of the UI (I saw problems reported by people if it was lower, at least in the Steam hub of the game, either in the game options with apply/ok buttons, or with research button on technology screen), so no, it wouldn't be fine in 200x100. :p

ApolloFZ

Reaction score
I have a big problem to launch KSP from the last update. I have Win7 on my Pc and when I load the career,it crash suddenly. I tried the game on a laptop with Win8 and it works. Is it the OS the problem?

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have a big problem to launch KSP from the last update. I have Win7 on my Pc and when I load the career,it crash suddenly. I tried the game on a laptop with Win8 and it works. Is it the OS the problem?
No, KSP works fine on Win7.

Have you removed any mods/addons that you have installed? Install KSP to a new folder and see if it works there...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Refitted Explorator I:
screenshot563.png

Beforehand, the section rear of the docking collars was a single propellant tank and single engine.

A small lander and utility vehicle will be launching soon to complete the exploration set.

Explorator III is in the design phase, intended for prospecting Eve.

---------- Post added 19-11-14 at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was 18-11-14 at 11:40 PM ----------

A single-launch automated Kethane collector, featuring a lander equipped with drills, and an orbiting refinery and propellant repository. Copies of this vehicle will be sent off throughout the solar system, to Mun, Ike, Gilly, and either Pol or Bop.

On the pad:
screenshot598.png

Off the pad:
screenshot615.png

The vessel pictured is the prototype, heading off for Mun. The engineers have already thought of some improvements, such as an ion-powered detachable probe for finding Kethane at other inclinations, and some refinements to the lander's reaction control system. It also requires an engine upgrade.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I finally did my first manned interplanetary mission!

Introducing Project DIVA (Designing Interplanetary Vehicle Architecture)
X0AYDwW.png

zAGZPBc.png