General Question The building of a space station.

Milenko44

Reaction score
I have became relatively comfortable with space shuttle, so my next goal is to launch and build my own space station piece by piece. I would like to do this using only the shuttle (I believe I am using shuttle fleet 4.5 if that matters) and not using the scenario editor except when I need to add the payload or fuel when landed. Now the question is, what is the best set of station building blocks that I can just throw in the back of the shuttle, launch, and attach to the others without S.E.?

While on this subject, is there an addon that allows me to restack and reuse a shuttle without exiting the simulation to edit files?

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I recomend using a XR5 instead. You can carry 4-5 parts a a time. I think that you should use station blocks 4.0.

Milenko44

Reaction score
Alright, I like the station blocks. :tiphat: However I am kinda partial to the shuttle for building this station and I can't seem to get them into the payload bay. Any suggestions there?

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are a few scattered around OrbitHangar, unfortunately not categorized as such, but there's the Project Outposts that would be good, my own Solar Service Module and Pressurized Logistics Vehicle are designed for station building. Mustard's Orbiter site has a LOT of space station modules you can download too.

Ark

Reaction score
There are a couple of station module packs on Orbithangar (search for "module" or "modules" or something), but I think the best place to go is Mustard's site. It has an easy list of addons with thumbnails and has a healthy selection of modules that fit in a shuttle bay, real or fictional.

SSBB is a great pack, but more fun to use the other Burch ships to assemble.

Milenko44

Reaction score
Since this pertains to my project, I will ask here rather than a new thread. What exactly is Space Shuttle Ultra? All I can find here are threads saying a new version has been released and to report bugs. What makes it different from the shuttle fleet? I read that you can use the crawler, does that mean you can assemble the ship like nassp does for the Saturn V?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
SSU is more realistic, but the learning curve is steeper. You can find a few payloads that I have done on OH.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Orbiter-Francophone have a bunch of modules for space stations. And yeah, the project outposts package is very nice.

To be honest....I would recommend you use the Space Shuttle, Fleet or SSU or the modded up default one that comes with Wetworkshops. Bring one ore so modules up at a time and slowly put your station together. The XR-5 is just.....too big. Takes the fun out of it for me.

And the Space Shuttle is.....well, the Space Shuttle. Epic. Need I say more?

Milenko44

Reaction score
Using the shuttle was my only criteria when I decided to do this, really. I was just looking for ways of making it the best that I can. The coolest thing would be if I could drive the shuttle off the runway, to the VAB, restack it, and crawl it back out to the pad to lauch all in one go. Is this possible yet?

Milenko44

Reaction score
So a problem I am having is orbit decay. Is there a way to stop that? My station is getting too big to keep pushing it back in place with the shuttle.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Launch an ATV, or ASV or something like that to your station. You can use that to boost your station.

You wont be able to boost it a great deal, so dont let your station decay too much before you go about boosting it.