Humor The Beast from the East!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The UK is protected by the jet stream. In London or parts of the UK, the same latitude in Canada has polar bears walking about!

Thanks

Much more important is the Gulf Stream, which is responsible why the only thing that we really lack in Europe is extreme weather. We don't have it. When we speak of extreme weather, we mean slightly more normal weather than usual. :lol: When we clean up after a historic record storm, a US Hurricane says "Hold my beer".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oops, i meant the Gulf Stream or is it both!!?

Gulf Stream: very warm Atlantic ocean current, influences climate

Jet stream: Narrow tropopause air currents, influence weather.

Gulfstream: Corporate manager transport, influences Dow Jones.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sodastream, influences wind.

N.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I always thought that was weird, given that most of the UK is at a much higher latitude than most of the US, and here in DC, technically part of the "South", we expect to get clobbered at least once every winter with a heavy snowstorm. So far we avoided it this year, but we did get a brutal deep freeze for a about a week, another common annual occurrence.

As mentioned, there's the Gulf Stream, which makes all of Europe warmer, and then there's the fact that Britain is surrounded by water, which tends to moderate temperatures, whereas even coastal areas in the US have lots of land on the inland side.