Andrew R. Brown

nh-northpolerotatedcontrast.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Mercury.3488/posts/1038069402918366?pnref=story

Bob Clark

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Wouldn't this go in the New Horizons thread?
Very pretty image, either way.

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, I see. It was kind of unclear. Honestly before New Horizons visited I never imagined Pluto could be as beautiful as it is. It makes me wonder what else we're missing out on in our own solar system because we don't have cameras looking at it.

Now I want to reread Icehenge with the new image of Pluto in mind.

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The article implies that Pluto and Ceres should be considered planets, but doesn't seem to actually present any points in favour of calling Pluto and Ceres planets other than "I don't like the current definition". The argument that if the Earth were in the place of Pluto it wouldn't clear its neighbourhood is presented again, but only supported by "some astronomers would argue", and to my knowledge it would actually quite quickly disassemble the orbital structure of its neighbourhood, booting out or absorbing everything that doesn't end up stuck in a resonance or trojan orbit, and leave itself all alone again.

I dislike the argument on whether or not Pluto should be a planet. It's not, it doesn't affect planetary dynamics like planets do (the argument that location shouldn't matter is silly, if Ganymede wasn't gravitationally bound to Jupiter it would likely be considered a planet, but no one is arguing against calling it a moon), but it really shouldn't matter what we call it. It's still a remarkable celestial body just as worthy of study of any planet or moon, and continuing to dredge up this argument a decade later is just restricting conversations about Pluto to a single tired track.

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If you zoom in on the horizon, is that a whisp of an atmosphere, or just a compression artifact?

Absolutely wonderful photo though... :love:

It looks like colour bleed from the bright surface onto the dark sky. I don't think this image has a high enough exposure to actually pick up on the atmosphere. Most of the atmospheric images are long-exposure shots of the night-side. I could be wrong though.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Planet/Dwarf Planet/Big rock..... whatever it's called won't change the fact that it's a fascinating world. I look forward to seeing images of other fascinating worlds out past Pluto, Sedna especially.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score

birdmanmike

Reaction score
Ganymede, Titan, Callisto, maybe larger than Mercury, but surely at least one agreed definition (possibly only one) is that moons orbit planets, planets orbit a sun. No doubt some moon (or asteroid?) orbits another moon though.
Meanwhile the 3rd rock out is a moon of the sun . . . ?

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Planet/Dwarf Planet/Big rock..... whatever it's called won't change the fact that it's a fascinating world. I look forward to seeing images of other fascinating worlds out past Pluto, Sedna especially.

This is why I much prefer the study of Mercury: it's equally fascinating, much quicker to reach, and unless it somehow ends up orbiting Venus, we don't have to deal with all the semantic squabbles:lol:

But...wouldn't a simple minimum mass requirement have solved the whole Pluto issue without the need to demote her? Or are there KBOs more massive than Pluto?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Or are there KBOs more massive than Pluto?

Not known, but possible.

A simple mass limit would only be valid for the solar system, not for the whole observable universe. The definition of a Dwarf Planet/Planet is constructed in a way, that it can also be used easily for possible exoplanets and different planet densities.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
Exclusive photos: Clouds seen on Pluto for first time.
4 March 2016
Pluto was famously demoted from planethood in 2006, and is now officially a dwarf planet, but these cloud pictures could heighten calls for its reinstatement. The increasingly apparent complexity of Pluto’s atmosphere means it clearly passes what Stern calls the “Star Trek” test – you know a planet when you see one out the window.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2079549-exclusive-photos-clouds-seen-on-pluto-for-first-time/

Bob Clark

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well - duck-typing for planets. Good luck with it. :rofl:

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
"It has clouds" is a terrible reason to define something as a planet. Triton has clouds, but it isn't a planet. Titan's surface isn't visible because of how thick the cloud layer is, but nobody is arguing that it's a planet. Saying "Pluto looks like a planet so it is one" is unscientific and kind of insane.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"It has clouds" is a terrible reason to define something as a planet. Triton has clouds, but it isn't a planet. Titan's surface isn't visible because of how thick the cloud layer is, but nobody is arguing that it's a planet. Saying "Pluto looks like a planet so it is one" is unscientific and kind of insane.

Also it depends on the perspective. If you are close enough to it, it looks like a planet. If you are far enough away from it, it is just a huge rock among many, but is no distinct, significant planet of the star.

As Star Trek navigator, I would never call Pluto a planet, but then, in TNG, even a Pluto with a much denser atmosphere would be considered to be an asteroid.