Taste in Music

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Just a thread to discuss everyones taste in music, if this has already been done which i wasnt able to find please inform me or a admin.
But my personal music choice is David Guetta (even though he's French :p) a little bit of Calvin Harris and i'm also liking Mumford and Sons very fresh music.
Ryan

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While I like most kinds of music, I prefer Swing, Blues and Rockabilly. (And their derivatives - swingpunk, psychobilly, etc.)

Oh, and 80's.

Also like Dr. Steel...

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm going through a Django Reinhardt phase right now, but I jump around more or less monthly. Last phase it was Julian Bream, and before that it was ZZ Top. :cool:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Romantic-era classical music.

Schumann, Mussorgsky, Grieg, Dvorak, Strauss (both of them), Brahms, Chopin, etc.

Jazz is also good in my opinion, especially classical jazz like Eumir Deodato's rendition of Also Sprach Zarathustra.

Yann Tiersen is also, in my opinion, one of the best modern composers.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I second everything IgnoreThisBarrel said. I also listen to Baroque. I also listen to Modern rock, mostly alternative and indie, and some Progressive Metal. My favorite modern band is probably Muse. Another kind of Music I like is 60's rock, especially the Beatles, and their solo careers.

So basically, I listen to MOST, not all, stuff from classical to metal, with the exclusion of emo, grindcore, crunkcore (most stuff that ends in -core), and most rap. If you don't know what any of that is, look it up on wiki.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Classical music, especially opera. My favourite composers are Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin and Tchaikovsky.

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ooh! I forgot Tchaikovsky and Bach. Bach's minor fugues are great, and I especially like Tchaikovsky's March Slav.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think my taste can still be described as "It is not too loud, you are too old"... A lot of Knorkator lately, but also Apokalyptischen Reiter and a lot of Power Metal.

I can't get really warm with classical music. There are some pieces I really love, and others I despise as "unmotivated construction of music by drawing nice looking patterns on the sheet." I like my music alive and emotional... and some pieces are just in the best case undead.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are some pieces I really love, and others I despise as "unmotivated construction of music by drawing nice looking patterns on the sheet."
Nicely put. I've stayed away from most classical for just that reason. A good deal of it has "Frivolously written on commission" written all over it. Much like a lot of modern pop music. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Nicely put. I've stayed away from most classical for just that reason. A good deal of it has "Frivolously written on commission" written all over it. Much like a lot of modern pop music. :lol:

Exactly. I really hated Take That until I realized that worse is easily achieved. (But nothing against their contribution to the "Stardust" movie...nice song)

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
My taste for music is best described as dualistic. At one side, I love enjoying lyrics of songs I listen to, and at another one I enjoy just listening music. If both things are present in the same composition, it's perfect.

Out of songs, I mostly prefer selected guitar poetry of Bronze, Iron and Silicon ages of Russian poetry. Since it exists only in Russian and you guys won't understand a thing if you listen to it, calling names of the singers isn't making sense. I used to translate some of such poetry into English (how good or bad it was, I don't really know), but gave that up because of lack of interested audience.

On the purely musical side, I prefer electronic, chillout and blues music. Such things are at all times on my playlist, helping me to concentrate on my work. Some classical music can also be nice.

Some soft rock falls into both categories for me. Out of internationally recognized rock groups, I prefer Deep Purple, Helloween, some of Metallica, Nightwish.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like listening to everything except for country music. I listen to mostly electronica/classical/combo of electronica and classical/modernized classical music.

For people of similar interests: Check out Bond, Vanaessa Mae, Scooter, Globus Epicon, and Basshunter, and the standard classical musicians, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc.

I think my taste can still be described as "It is not too loud, you are too old"... A lot of Knorkator lately, but also Apokalyptischen Reiter and a lot of Power Metal.

Knorkator is epik. Absolution and Aeger Sum both sound good and are hilarious.

I especially recommend listening to the second song posted. It is epik. Ignore the lyrics...

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Blues, Country-Blues, Jazz, Folk, Funk, Rock ("Hendrix age") but also classical, baroque, contemporary...

From SiberianTiger :

Out of songs, I mostly prefer selected guitar poetry of Bronze, Iron and Silicon ages of Russian poetry. Since it exists only in Russian and you guys won't understand a thing if you listen to it, calling names of the singers isn't making sense. I used to translate some of such poetry into English (how good or bad it was, I don't really know), but gave that up because of lack of interested audience.

Could you point me some well-known bands/artists ? I like russian folk, but it's pretty hard to find...

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Could you point me some well-known bands/artists ? I like russian folk, but it's pretty hard to find...

On my playlist, there's no pure traditional folk, but mostly either "steel and electricity age"'s stylizations or music not related to traditional folk themes.

Well-known folk artists I prefer (with names spelled according to English spelling rules):

Bulat Okoudzhava, Zoya Yaschenko (leader of Belaya Gvardiya), Vladimir Vysotsky, Vadim Yegorov, Alexander Dolsky, Hellawes (leader of Melnitsa), Nikolay Anisimov, Oleg Mityayev.

Well-known rock artists I prefer (with names spelled according to English spelling rules):

Valeriy Kipelov (former leader of Aria), Vyatcheslav Butusov (former leader of Nautilus Pompilius), Vladimir Shakhrin (leader of Tchaif), Chizh (from Chizh & Company), Victor Tsoy (formerly from Kino).

To Russian forum members: yes, I am this backward in time. :blush:

BTW, a very nice Tsoy's song translation I found:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
pretty mixed. I'm a musican, so what I apreciate most in music is art and craftsmanship, which can have rather different form. On occasion I find myself liking a completely mainstream song for the masses, because I really have to give dips to the sound engineer. Classical Music for superior composing and performanse abilities, most Jazz, from older vertical jazz to modern cool jazz and even a bit of free jazz at times for sheer mastery of instruments and dynamics (although I don't like most of free jazz, because there's just no composition involved. It's like a poem that uses perfect metrics but the text in one line has nothing to do with the one that went before) and totally crazy stuff like "math-metal" (if you would call that a genre. Yes, I'm a drummer, how did you know?) because these guys have timing in their guts like no one else.

In general, I guess you could say that I apreciate the abilities of the musicans more than the music itself. If I listen to something just for musics sake, it is usually emotionally really touching, by words or melody or groove. But of course it's another matter what you find emotionally touching. The only time I found myself actually crying simply because of the music was at what might be best described as a balkan ethno-jazz gig. Yes, I'm a strange person...

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
For me I listen to metal such as pantera. Im old school 80's 90's era metalhead.Tired of metallica. But with the metal mostly underground these days I jamm to some good ole Skynard and the newer Rock/country. Do not like rap or electronic mix type so called music.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
I mostly listen to rock and metal. Some of my favourite bands are AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Gamma Ray, Scorpions, Running Wild, Iron Savior, Grave Digger, Megadeath, Slayer, Star One, Ayreon, Dio, Axel Rudi Pell, Aerosmith, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, Blind Guardian, Aelstorm, Agent Steel and many more.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I like a little bit of everything, except for country. I enjoy certain pieces of classical music, but I'm pretty picky.

Otherwise, all kinds of rock, pop, jazz, blues, electronic, you name it.