Supernova 2011by

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No problem - it's always nice to have a record of what you've seen :) I saw something weird a few weeks ago too - I looked up from the telescope and saw a small, straight, glowing trail of light hanging motionless in the north-east. I watched it for about a minute, and it gradually faded to nothing - I think it might have been the ion trail of a meteor that passed over just before I looked up from the telescope - it stayed there for a really long time though.

As for the supernova itself - I haven't seen it for a while due to cloud and the sky staying light until nearly midnight - it's around 13.3 now though.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I got another image back from http://www.telescope.org/ and put it with the previous one in an animation to show how it has faded. The SN is just right of centre - the images are separated by 22 days. This animation is currently unfinished (I have sent requests to the telescope to take more images as it fades further, so I will be able to make an animation showing it fade to nothing) but still - it gives an idea of how it's behaving. The images are copyrighted to the Bradford Robotic Telescope, and I processed them and put them together in GIMP:

SN2011by.gif

Quintuss

Reaction score
With that empty space inside it bears resemblence to that failed Russian missile launch. Or this. THE RAPTURE maybe? :thumbup:

stephen_bennett

Reaction score
Website
www.ionsonic.com
With that empty space inside it bears resemblence to that failed Russian missile launch. Or this. THE RAPTURE maybe? :thumbup:

Lol! Well the Pope has been dialing up the ISS.

Do you think the observation I made in the same space of nebulous type activity approx 24 hours later would rule in or out any Earth bound science or activity?

Quintuss

Reaction score
I might not be an expert but we do know that coinsidences do happen. And since nor Yourself nor do we know what You might saw we cant rule out anything. Correct ?

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
True! :tiphat:
WRONG !!!
There are lots of things we can rule out; especially everything that common sense would tell us is NOT visible with the naked eye.

Who the heck knows what you've seen ; we'll never now and continuing to make wild guesses doesn't do anything but make you look rather desperate I'm afraid to say.

You saw something ......leave it at that !

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's worth remembering and thinking about as you learn more about what's in the sky - you may well find the answer yourself after a bit more research. It definitely wasn't the supernova though, so let's keep the thread on track. :)

stephen_bennett

Reaction score
Website
www.ionsonic.com
WRONG !!!
There are lots of things we can rule out; especially everything that common sense would tell us is NOT visible with the naked eye.

Who the heck knows what you've seen ; we'll never now and continuing to make wild guesses doesn't do anything but make you look rather desperate I'm afraid to say.

You saw something ......leave it at that !

Lol! Curious yes, desperate not! :cheers:

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

It's worth remembering and thinking about as you learn more about what's in the sky - you may well find the answer yourself after a bit more research. It definitely wasn't the supernova though, so let's keep the thread on track. :)

That's the plan. I'm posting here for feedback, advice and general banter.

:hailprobe:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
O-F Staff Note: twelve egregiously off-topic posts removed and thread reopened. Let's please stay on-topic in this thread. Thanks.