Stranger than fiction?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Think of a CPU emulation, an ur-example of a problem that can not be parallelized in any way.

Actually you can ....... separate pipeline stages as own threads for example, in a producer-consumer pattern... as long as all threads run stable and you only need minimal synchronization (single barrier), it could be faster than a single thread.

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
I want to figure out how to change the rules of the game from the inside.
:salute:

Matrix-I-movie-setting-h3.jpg

wikipedia_icon.gif
Zion (The_Matrix) - Wikipedia

The human leaders began the construction of an entirely underground city, called Zion, that was built for the purpose of preserving the human species.

Zion was built four kilometers below the Earth's surface, just above the Earth's mantle, and exists entirely underground.

Recently, former CERN Large Hadron Collider physicist Adlène Hicheur commented in this regard:

"What matter here are muons, not mesons, and my calculations indicate that you only need about one kilometer of rocks above you."

38634.gif

42335.gif

Alternative Hint:

6c0b840a2e3816edbc4e04.jpg

Obvious! :rofl:

Last edited:

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
Simulation of what?
However, assuming us to be simutated by our future selfs leads to a strange loop.
More here...
Godel%2C_Escher%2C_Bach_%28first_edition%29.jpg

The author made me believe, the our world may be (lisp-)coded, and if so it doesn't harm.

Douglas Hofstadter is simply confused, and the 777 pages are only developing fallacies and absurdities caused by the ignoring of the First Soheil's Principle, such as the duplication of the "self" as a brain is accidentally broken into two parts then rebuilt into two perfect complete copies, leading to the ultimate possibility of unlimited duplication of the self.

:facepalm:

Definition:

First Soheil's Principle or Principle of continuity, and the uniqueness of the self

A candle once ignited produces a flame. Should one extinguish this flame, and store the candle for a year, then the flame no longer exist.
If the same candle is reignited after this period, then we have... a SECOND flame, it's not the first one!
The brain is totally similar to a candle, as the self is concerned. It should always follow the Principle of continuity. If the brain processes were to cease for one reason or another at some point, then at restart it would produce a second self but never the first one.

This is why one will neither wake up in the brain and body of a perfect sub-atomic-level copy nor even numerical copy!
And this is how we can definitely rebuke the possibility of multiplication of one's self, which remains unique.

Note that another consequence of the First Soheil's Principle, is the bebunking of so called Cryonics, a fallacious industry that claims to perform resuscitation and restoration to full health in the far future of people who cannot be sustained by contemporary medicine and thus preserved to low-temperature (usually at -196°C).

Again, here the patient to be resuscitated would be another self.

In a nutshell, you only die once.

I want to figure out how to change the rules of the game from the inside.

Here is an easy experiment that could give us an unequivocal answer to this basic question.

Let's imagine that the crops [of people] decide to simultaneously start a unlimited strike, for no less than 12 months or even longer.
Then we'll have two cases:

1. This is only a simulation. Nothing really changes, as the Architect can use cheat codes as it pleases. The laws of physics don't apply in the Matrix.

2. This is the only and real world. As the laws of physics rule, the simulation should start to crumble, eventually becoming entirely dysfunctional.

QED

:lol:

Last edited:

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Note that another consequence of the First Soheil's Principle, is the bebunking of so called Cryonics, a fallacious industry that claims to perform resuscitation and restoration to full health in the far future of people who cannot be sustained by contemporary medicine and thus preserved to low-temperature (usually at -196°C).

Again, here the patient to be resuscitated would be another self.

In a nutshell, you only die once.

I don't think any of this really matters. If you die and are resurrected you will have the memory of the person who died and is now currently living. If you look back at yourself say 20 years when you were a child, you are not that same person anymore, you have different beliefs and personality and you are not that person anymore. You really are who you are in the present state with your current memories.

In another sense when people ask me about gun control and the fact that someone could just walk up behind me and shoot me in the head without me knowing, I say I wouldn't care because that would be the truest truth.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't think any of this really matters. If you die and are resurrected you will have the memory of the person who died and is now currently living. If you look back at yourself say 20 years when you were a child, you are not that same person anymore, you have different beliefs and personality and you are not that person anymore. You really are who you are in the present state with your current memories.

Not only that, but many of the actual cells that made up your body 20 years ago have died and been replaced by new ones. The molecules you are made of come and go.

Life is an emergent property of a collection of chemicals. Your "mind" is an emergent property of the configuration of the cells that make up your brain and its interaction with the rest of your body.

That's why the concept of a Star Trek-style teleportation machine freaks many people out: does Capt. Kirk die every time he is beamed somewhere, replaced by an exact copy on the receiving end? The answer depends on whether you believe in a soul or not, and that takes the whole discussion out of the realm of science and into the realm of personal religious beliefs, since there is no way of knowing for sure.

Like, far out, man!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not only that, but many of the actual cells that made up your body 20 years ago have died and been replaced by new ones.

Not only that, but apparently we swap out all the Atoms of our body on roughly a 5 years cycle, optimistically speaking (some estimates I found give it far less). The water in our bodies, which makes up 72% of our mass, gets replaced almost twice a month.

It's kind of strange to think that our mind is the result of a collection of parts that get replaced on a regular basis, but tiny changes in how they are put together and interact can basically make us a different person. Reminds me of the identity vs. value paradigm for objects in concurrent programming.