Still can't maneuver around airports and on taxiways

Pithecanthropu

Reaction score
I'm trying something different. Starting from Saturn Single Stage To Orbit scenario, I'm adding a DG and switching focus to that. What I want to do is fly the Delta Glider, but take advantage of the SASSTO's Fuel Station for my first rendezvous and docking attempt. This is considerably easier than using the ISS, because the Fuel Station's orbit is perfectly circular. I want to fly the DG instead of the Saturn just because it's an overall better spacecraft in terms of user interface and possessing a virtual cockpit

So I'm able to add the DG and switch focus. I've got the DG on the ground more or less where I want it, which is Cape Canaveral. I say "more or less" because, instead of being nicely backed up to the end of a runway ready to go, it's on a circular "apron" or loading area.

I can't figure out how to get to the runway. I installed the NosewheelTurn plugin referenced in this thread. I've activated the module in the Launchpad--meaning obviously I can see it working and I must have installed it correctly. But in the cockpit the MFD display doesn't allow me to select it. I imagine there is some control panel switch to enable ground maneuvering, but I can't find it.

Failing that, is there a towing vehicle add-in somewhere, like what they use at airport?

(BTW how do I enable retrofire?)

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Nosewheelturn is not an MFD. It's automatic. Ground maneuvering is using the engine and the 1 and 3 keys (Rudder).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nosewheelturn is not an MFD. It's automatic. Ground maneuvering is using the engine and the 1 and 3 keys (Rudder).
Indeed - it ties the position of the nosewheel to the rudder deflection (which is what many real aircraft do), so if you have a joystick set up for your rudder you can use that. You need to use the main engines for forward speed, and then you can use the rudder yaw controls for turning on the ground.

I considered adding a "ground drive" mode where the vehicle could move forward/backward without needing the engines (with the explanation being electric motors on the wheels, since firing up giant rockets to move across the taxiway is somewhat damaging to the airport environment), but didn't due to the difficulty of finding an key that would be reliably unused by all possible vessels.

Let me know if you get it figured out!

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Hielor, that ground drive mode sounds pretty awesome. What about using a key like the "`" key?

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but for the ground motors or whatever, you could use linear forward and back rcs jets. Just have it so that when the gear is down, the wheels move, too

Pithecanthropu

Reaction score
Thanks to all who posted. I've got it working now even if it will take me some practice to get good at "driving".

I tried the RCS motors and they didn't work too well. But when there's a considerable amount of distance to be covered, like changing from one end of the runway to the other, I've found the best way is to throttle the main engine up quite high just to get going and then roll it back down to ten or twenty percent.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
...I've found the best way is to throttle the main engine up quite high just to get going and then roll it back down to ten or twenty percent.

Just like driving a car... you tromp on it to gain velocity, then back off as you approach speed to cruise.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks to all who posted. I've got it working now even if it will take me some practice to get good at "driving".

I tried the RCS motors and they didn't work too well. But when there's a considerable amount of distance to be covered, like changing from one end of the runway to the other, I've found the best way is to throttle the main engine up quite high just to get going and then roll it back down to ten or twenty percent.
Yeah, don't bother with the RCS--just use that mod and steer on the ground using the rudder.

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
With DeltaGlider turn left or right from Virtual Cockpit,somehow got best turning than other.