SDK Question Steam Controller in Orbiter

mtwomey

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm a long time Orbiter user and I've recently started using a Steam Controller for various games. I've decided that I'd like to use it for atmospheric flight in Orbiter. However, due to the "special" nature of the Steam controller, there isn't a way to get it recognized by Orbiter as a USB joystick.

What I can do, is have it presented as an xinput controller. So I'd like to write a plugin for Orbiter to hook this in.

The basic thought is to create a very basic plugin that reads the xinput controller and sends to the control surfaces.

I've never done anything with orbiter development (although I have a decent amount of C++ experience). I'm looking for just a couple of basic pointers as to what I need to interface with. I'm looking through the API docs and it's not obvious to me that I actually *can* set the control surfaces from a module (although I'd think that functionality would be included?). I'd also appreciate a general confirmation that my high-level thought of using an orbiter "module" to do this is likely to be workable?

Thanks,

-Matt

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd also appreciate a general confirmation that my high-level though of using an orbiter "module" to do this is likely to be workable?

Marc 'over_g' Immer released such a kind of module: [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1369"]Joystick Plugin joyride v2.0[/ame] .

Did you already take a look at it? Perhaps it works with Steam Controllers, too.

mtwomey

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did you already take a look at it? Perhaps it works with Steam Controllers, too.

I did indeed, unfortunately it does not detect it.