SSU Updated Installation Instructions?

andrewgrey

Reaction score
Could someone point me to the latest instructions for installing SSU with either 2010 or 2016? I have been reading all of this and it is ridiculously complicated and way dated. The instructions I have found go all the way back to 2008.

I tried following the SSU_v4.2r2570 (zip file) instructions .pdf, but I am getting the following errors:

I have seen this a bunch of times in the last 15 years and still don't understand it. (Sorry, I am not a C++ programmer)

>>> WARNING: Obsolete API function used: oapiRegisterMFDMode
At least one active module is accessing an obsolete interface function.
Addons which rely on obsolete functions may not be compatible with
future versions of Orbiter.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Module ScnEditor.dll ......... [Build 100830, API 100830]
Module ExtMFD.dll ............ [Build 100830, API 100830]

Finished initialising panels
Finished setting up render state
In clbkPreStep
**** WARNING: Mesh not found: .\Meshes\VandenbergAFB\VAFBtaxiway.msh

Where is this Vandenberg mesh?

I don't know how to wrap the above in a box as others have done, so I hope this will suffice. Please tell me how to do this, as well, for future reference, or point me to the instructions as to how to use the forum controls, as I see none.

I tried posting the entire Orbiter log error, but the forum told me I have included 60+ pictures and this is not allowed. All I did was copy from the text file and paste it here.

I guess I need a class on how to use the forum before even posting Orbiter questions, huh? :)

I both love and hate that the learning curve in Orbiter is completely vertical.

Been trying to use Orbiter since about 2005, and am still lost on many things.

Anyway, thanks a lot,

Andrew

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The instalation instructions are "current".
In regards to the missing VAFB mesh, like I said in your other thread, don't worry about it. Small note: SSU 4.2 is for Orbiter 2010P1. There is no SSU release for Orbiter 2016.
The "Obsolete API" warnings in the log file, are more for the developers, so that they are warned no to use functions that will disappear in future Orbiter versions.

Conclusion: if it runs and nothing looks wrong, don't worry about the log file. :p

andrewgrey

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt responses.

I CAN get the missions to work if I start the missions which are already in orbit, but I am unable to start a mission from the launch pad, as I am getting a CTD and the errors I posted above. What is the fix for this, if any?

As expected, I tried to use SSU in Orbiter 2016 and the launch pad and SSU were laying on their side pointed down the beach. :)

I understand you are working on the 2016 version now? Very cool.

Thanks for your great package. I look forward to diving into it in the coming weeks.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Thanks for your prompt responses.

I CAN get the missions to work if I start the missions which are already in orbit, but I am unable to start a mission from the launch pad, as I am getting a CTD and the errors I posted above. What is the fix for this, if any?
OK, I think I see the problem... I thought you were missing a texture, but actually you are missing a mesh (and probably more). Did you install the VandenbergAFB addon listed in the instalation instructions? (and followed its installation instructions?)

As expected, I tried to use SSU in Orbiter 2016 and the launch pad and SSU were laying on their side pointed down the beach. :)

I understand you are working on the 2016 version now? Very cool.

Thanks for your great package. I look forward to diving into it in the coming weeks.
Yes, a SSU for Orbiter 2016 is in the works.

andrewgrey

Reaction score
Ah ha, I found the problem. I don't know why, but for some reason, the Meshes folder was missing from my first download of Vandenberg. Possibly I deleted the meshes folder by accident. But thanks for noticing, as I did not notice the meshes were missing from the zip file. I re-downloaded Vandenberg, and did a fresh install of Orbiter and all that follows, and now I have it working.

Also, I at first had downloaded the entire wrong Vandenberg file for some reason. Very strange, I guess I need to pay better attention. I found the 2006 version from the link provided in the SSU ops manual, and it seems to be the right one. I swear I followed that link at first and it took me to the wrong Vandenberg file. I followed it a second time and it took me to the 2006 version. Maybe chalk it up to no sleep or something, lol.

Thanks for your help. Everything seems to be working fine, now and it looks great. Time to dive in and figure this out! Looks like a lotta fun.

Andrew

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, a SSU for Orbiter 2016 is in the works.

Can I say that is not 100% correct? SSU4.2 actually works with O2016 (with some tweaking). You probably meant you are working on the new release (5.0) specifically developed for 2016, did you?
I know I sound picky but maybe andrewgray would like to use SSU with O2016

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Can I say that is not 100% correct? SSU4.2 actually works with O2016 (with some tweaking). You probably meant you are working on the new release (5.0) specifically developed for 2016, did you?
I know I sound picky but maybe andrewgray would like to use SSU with O2016

Yes, using SSU 4.2 with Orbiter 2016 won't make your computer explode :lol:, but first you can't launch or land, and then even the on-orbit ops are affected as we had to correct some attachment points/animations. :shrug:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, using SSU 4.2 with Orbiter 2016 won't make your computer explode :lol:, but first you can't launch or land, and then even the on-orbit ops are affected as we had to correct some attachment points/animations. :shrug:

Not only it won't explode, it actually allow us to have great fun and enjoy your beautiful Shuttle :thumbup:
Keep up the great work guys!