SSU Questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdad

Reaction score
hey guys, I have question about documentation of SSU is not been update since september 14 2019 ? because on scenario files space shuttle ultra parameter list is incomplete

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Its possible that the list is incomplete - which parameter seems to be missing or which in the documentation is obsolete?

asdad

Reaction score
I want to create own SSU, but in documentation doesn't have example how to create scenario there is only example how to create mission file

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I want to create own SSU, but in documentation doesn't have example how to create scenario there is only example how to create mission file

Yes - that is because of multiple reasons:

1. SSU is in active development and things change very often. Thus we don't want to encourage development of third-party scenarios.
  2. We think SSU is too complex to maintain scenarios manually - we have decided years ago to prefer developing a mission editor and a tool chain around it.
  3. This mission editor is still completely WIP and would require a dedicated developer - I can't do it anymore.
  4. We decided to move things, that remain constant throughout a mission into constant mission files, that can be shared among multiple vessels, so all involved vessels in SSU use the same definition of the current mission. The scenario files should only store information about the mission, that is variable: Current mission, current mission progress, mission control decisions, deviations/aborts, etc.
  5. The planned workflow to create a new pack of scenarios in SSU was like that:
    1. Define a mission context (Which other vessels should be present, timeline, etc)
    2. Create the mission, either standalone or as part of a complete flight manifest (like a space station assembly)
    3. Once the mission is created and defined, the actual mission files for SSU are written.
    4. The mission editor should then also write scenarios for a selected set of entry points (VAB rollout, crew entry, L-10min, Post-Insertion, FD1, FD2, etc)
    5. should more specific scenarios for a mission be needed, they would be created by flying the mission and saving at a reference point.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Guys , SSU is working but in orbiter r65 not in orbiter r90
Are you talking about Orbiter Betas?

I think this behaviour is perfectly normal, as SSU is not even released for Orbiter 2016 (stable) yet, only a nightly has been released, and one for an alpha version.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Guys , SSU is working but in orbiter beta r65 not in orbiter beta r90

I won't release anything for Beta versions of Orbiter. We have more than enough work for the regular versions of it left and who wants to try, can still compile his own version of SSU against a Beta release at his own risk.

Should any modifications of the source code be necessary, would it be nice to get the patches into the main source code later.

V1p3rPT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello Guys, I updated SSU using SVN UPDATE and i figure out these lines decribed in following image.
This is normal? Or i have done something wrong?

Ty

Attachments

• SSU.png
    SSU.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 269

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello Guys, I updated SSU using SVN UPDATE and i figure out these lines decribed in following image.
This is normal? Or i have done something wrong?

Ty
Yes, those are normal due to current mapping of the textures on the mesh.

cyph0r

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to SSU and tried my luck playing around with the latest nightly build for Orbiter 2016 (with D3D9). I noticed that the ADI ball in the Orbit PFD behaves very oddly (tested with the "Atlantis in orbit" scenario). There is a singularity at pitch 90°/270° where the ball just violently flips over, and in general the display does not always seem to match the orbiter's real attitude. Also, the A/E and Orbit PFD do not agree in the indicated pitch and roll angles (I realize that yaw is fixed to 0°), even though I think they should both be in the same reference frame (LVLH).

Is this a known bug or am I missing something here? I could not find anything about this issue on the tickets page or in the forum.

Thanks so much for this awesome project!

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to SSU and tried my luck playing around with the latest nightly build for Orbiter 2016 (with D3D9). I noticed that the ADI ball in the Orbit PFD behaves very oddly (tested with the "Atlantis in orbit" scenario). There is a singularity at pitch 90°/270° where the ball just violently flips over, and in general the display does not always seem to match the orbiter's real attitude. Also, the A/E and Orbit PFD do not agree in the indicated pitch and roll angles (I realize that yaw is fixed to 0°), even though I think they should both be in the same reference frame (LVLH).

Is this a known bug or am I missing something here? I could not find anything about this issue on the tickets page or in the forum.

Thanks so much for this awesome project!
This is a known limit with our current GNC system. Only the LVLH reference system is implemented as far as the ADI is concerned. An overhaul of the GNC system is scheduled for after we have the new DPS implemented.

cyph0r

Reaction score
This is a known limit with our current GNC system. Only the LVLH reference system is implemented as far as the ADI is concerned. An overhaul of the GNC system is scheduled for after we have the new DPS implemented.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the ADI. Just out of interest (and as an exercise) I used the weekend to look a bit into the code behind it. At that opportunity I fixed the ADI ball in the LVLH and INRTL reference frames by using the proper rotation matrices as specified by the DPS Dictionary on page 6-10, instead of the previous local pitch, bank and slipstream angles. I'm no expert, but to me it looks like the ADI now rotates as it should in those two reference frames. I attached a patch for revision 3270, maybe it's useful and saves you a little bit of time.

Attachments

• adi-patch-r3270.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 196

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hi :)

I'm very sorry for my ignorance, but these pictures:

look like SSU in Orbiter 2016 to me, but as far as I know SSU isn't completely compatible with Orbiter 2016 yet. Does it mean that SSU can be partially used in Orbiter 2016 or I'm wrong?

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hi :)

I'm very sorry for my ignorance, but these pictures:

look like SSU in Orbiter 2016 to me, but as far as I know SSU isn't completely compatible with Orbiter 2016 yet. Does it mean that SSU can be partially used in Orbiter 2016 or I'm wrong?
SSU can be used with Orbiter 2016 if you compile it yourself.

There are instructions for doing so here:

Please be aware that SSU is in alpha.

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.