Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can add a scenario file entry (BURNT_TEX_NAME) to specify the texture to be used after SRB sep.
That would be great. Another ET tex issue is that currently there's no way to make STS-1/2 fly with the white FRL coated ETs. I'm not sure how to handle that.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That would be great. Another ET tex issue is that currently there's no way to make STS-1/2 fly with the white FRL coated ETs. I'm not sure how to handle that.

What about letting the ET vessel handle this and use special code for the 5 ET versions around?

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's already a ET_TEX_NAME scenario file entry which specifies the (unburnt) ET texture. This should work for STS-1/2.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There's already a ET_TEX_NAME scenario file entry which specifies the (unburnt) ET texture. This should work for STS-1/2.
That parameter seems to be in-operational at the moment. It just won't apply to the mesh. I checked it all over to make sure that it isn't being applied to the wrong parts (like the cable trays) but that's not the case.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That parameter seems to be in-operational at the moment. It just won't apply to the mesh. I checked it all over to make sure that it isn't being applied to the wrong parts (like the cable trays) but that's not the case.
The texture name is probably incomplete. It should look like
Code:
ET_TEX_NAME SSU\SLWT_ETtex.dds
Both the SSU\ folder and the .dds extension are required, otherwise the texture won't be found.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The texture name is probably incomplete. It should look like
Code:
ET_TEX_NAME SSU\SLWT_ETtex.dds
Both the SSU\ folder and the .dds extension are required, otherwise the texture won't be found.
Thanks. I think it should be updated to work like the OrbiterTexture parameter in the mission files, to ensure consistency.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I think it should be updated to work like the OrbiterTexture parameter in the mission files, to ensure consistency.
Done. I've also added the BURNT_TEX_NAME parameter.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
So, I'm back in development chair again!
I'm planning on finishing some small things, improve the ET sep (and possibly the SRB sep as well) and adding the TRANS DAP, before I ask for a merger of the mps branch. For that I need the panel C3 ETSEP switches (and the SRBSEP if possible).

There's a "bug" in the Main Engine Shutdown PBs from day 1: once you click to move the cover, the PB below is also activated. Don't know if it's possible to improve the cover operation... maybe use right click to open the cover and left click to push the PB?

I know I'm late but I want to give my 2 cents on the ET texture discussion above. Basically every ET type has a default (normal) texture and a burnt texture, differentiated by the addition of "_BURN" (or something) to the name. So the ET texture files would consist of a pair of textures. If the user wants to specify a different texture set, there should be 1 parameter passed to SSU (thru mission file or scn) specifying the desired texture name. From that name (ex. "myETtexture.dds") we would search
that file and the burnt texture "myETtexture_BURN.dds". Any problems -> use default textures for the current ET type. This way it works properly without any "user inputs" (aside from the ET type), and there's a simple way to specify another texture (1 parameter only).

And finally, any comments about this idea?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So, I'm back in development chair again!
I'm planning on finishing some small things, improve the ET sep (and possibly the SRB sep as well) and adding the TRANS DAP, before I ask for a merger of the mps branch. For that I need the panel C3 ETSEP switches (and the SRBSEP if possible).
Here you:
Code:
ET sep switch: -0.083, 1.7, 14.075
SRB sep switch: 0.006, 1.7, 14.079

There's a "bug" in the Main Engine Shutdown PBs from day 1: once you click to move the cover, the PB below is also activated. Don't know if it's possible to improve the cover operation... maybe use right click to open the cover and left click to push the PB?
Check out the code for the A8 panels, they have working covers.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Here you:
Code:
ET sep switch: -0.083, 1.7, 14.075
SRB sep switch: 0.006, 1.7, 14.079
Check out the code for the A8 panels, they have working covers.

OK, I'll see what I can do, thanks! (are those coordinates for the PBs or for the MAN/AUTO switches? need both...)

BTW still on the ET textures: about the STS-1/2 painted ET, I think there's more than just the textures to worry about, because the paint added weight. So I think we should consider 2 SWT types: painted and "natural". That way there is no problem choosing the correct textures.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
OK, I'll see what I can do, thanks! (are those coordinates for the PBs or for the MAN/AUTO switches? need both...)
They're for the actual switches, not the PBs.
Code:
ET sep cover: -0.119, 1.734, 14.096
SRB sep cover: -0.031, 1.734, 14.096

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
OK, got the switches, the covers and the PBs to work, but the coordinates for the switches are not exactly correct as the switches are slightly above the panel. DaveS, if you want I can upload the panel and you fine tune the numbers.
On the covers also activating the PBs: I checked the code on panels A8 and O6 and I don't see anything "special" aside from the coordinates for the cover and the switch being the same (tried that and it did not work). Both those cases there's a switch below the cover, not a PB, so the "mechanics" are probably different.

One way to solve this is to place the cover open zone just on the bottom of the cover (in the little "bulge"), so that there's no overlap between that and the PBs click zone.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've fixed the pushbutton issue (it's a bug in PushButton.cpp). Should I check the fix in to the trunk, or do you need in the MPS branch?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I've fixed the pushbutton issue (it's a bug in PushButton.cpp). Should I check the fix in to the trunk, or do you need in the MPS branch?

Great!!! To the mps branch if you could.
Many thanks! :thumbup:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I need coordinates for the both feedline vents.
Where are they? Well the LH2 is well visible on left side of the tail, aft of the APU exhausts. The LO2 is more tricky. I can't find a "flight image" where I can see it in the location where diagrams and literature place it. The only image (that I found) where something is visible is this of the birth of Atlantis
space-shuttle-atlantis-construction-aft-fuselage2.jpg

I think is the little dot (it's only 1 inch) in bottom half of the sidewall, below the row of 3 panels.

Also, just uploaded PanelC3, and the SEP switches need a little adjustment in the coordinates, as it looks like they're floating.
Many thanks!!! :cheers:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm currently on a very limited connection right now so I can't upload any photos, but based on my research, the LO2 relief port is located on a HRSI tile below the APU-2 service panel.

Here's the pos numbers:
Code:
2.92116, -3.44059, -10.8442

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Yep, that's the middle of the 3 panels that I mentioned above, so looks like it's that "dot".
Those coordinates are of what vent, LH2 or LO2? (need both)

Don't worry about pictures, I just need the coordinates. :cheers:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yep, that's the middle of the 3 panels that I mentioned above, so looks like it's that "dot".
Those coordinates are of what vent, LH2 or LO2? (need both)

Don't worry about pictures, I just need the coordinates. :cheers:
LO2, on the starboard sidewall of the aft compartment. The other two "panels" are the 9(FWD) and 8(aft) vents.

LH2 feedline relief pos:
Code:
-0.434188, 1.5138, -10.8137

Try this if you don't already have them: https://web.archive.org/web/20050720004209/http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/sodb/

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
LO2, on the starboard sidewall of the aft compartment. The other two "panels" are the 9(FWD) and 8(aft) vents.

LH2 feedline relief pos:
Code:
-0.434188, 1.5138, -10.8137
Try this if you don't already have them: https://web.archive.org/web/20050720004209/http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/sodb/

I have those for some years now, thanks anyway. And thanks again for the coordinates. :thumbup:
If you have time please correct the positions of the switches in panel C3.

Status
Not open for further replies.