Vessel Sprint Anti-Ballistic Missile

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Found this while searching for the SPRINT-A satellite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_(missile)
It seems pretty interesting. Cancelled due to high costs. 0 - 7,500 mph in less than 5 seconds, could definitely take down a Ballistic Missile if the Spartan didn't do its job. It would be cool to see this in Orbiter if anyone wants to take this up.

sprint61.gif

sprint_firing_cell.jpg

sprint5.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I tried implementing it a number of months ago, but the flight dynamics are too extreme in Orbiter, I stopped the project when I needed to find a way to stabilize Orbiters aerodynamic force solver at these dynamic pressures. The Spartan could maybe work, it maneuvers at lower dynamic pressures.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I tried implementing it a number of months ago, but the flight dynamics are too extreme in Orbiter, I stopped the project when I needed to find a way to stabilize Orbiters aerodynamic force solver at these dynamic pressures. The Spartan could maybe work, it maneuvers at lower dynamic pressures.
:facepalm: And the missile and launcher mesh was starting to look good to. *throws project on shelf*

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
:facepalm: And the missile and launcher mesh was starting to look good to. *throws project on shelf*

Well, if you can find a solution there for preventing the missile from spinning out of control on launch, it is possible... The problem just is that lift and drag force can't converge at such pressures. Orbiter doesn't seem to like vehicles that can produce 20g during a turn by lift force

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, if you can find a solution there for preventing the missile from spinning out of control on launch, it is possible... The problem just is that lift and drag force can't converge at such pressures. Orbiter doesn't seem to like vehicles that can produce 20g during a turn by lift force

yeah I know its my fault I should of thought that through a little better.

Last edited:

dacamp66

Reaction score
Keep at it! Maybe you'll figure out a way to pull it off.
Remember what Thomas Edison said= "I haven't failed, I have found 10,000 ways that won't work!":tiphat:
p.s. maybe a custom .dll or physics module?

Last edited:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Keep at it! Maybe you'll figure out a way to pull it off.
Remember what Thomas Edison said= "I haven't failed, I have found 10,000 ways that won't work!":tiphat:
p.s. maybe a custom .dll or physics module?

I will go ahead and finish it this weekend. I will upload it and anybody can do whatever they want to with it after that. I just like to finish what I start. If it gets used fine....if it don't that's fine to. I am working on the launcher
images

Last edited:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I managed to get it into orbiter. Texturing is not done some minor tweaks are still needed

34kmGkt.jpg

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
I thought it was launched from a silo....
The conical Sprint was stored in and launched from a silo. To make the launch as quick as possible, the cover was blown off the silo by explosive charges, then the missile was ejected by an explosive-driven piston.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Martin-Marietta-Sprint-ABM-1S.jpg

It can be launched from silo. But I chose this launcher to sharpen my Modeling skills. More of a challenge for me.

EDIT: The Zip file is just to get it into orbiter to view. The config file is just a dummy and there are no textures. I used DXD9 client to view it. File size is a little big. But its not complete. This version does not have the groups joined yet. It is raw and basic.

Attachments

• Sprint Missile.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thats actually just a more-or-less standard sounding rocket launch pad used for the early tests of the Sprint missile.

In actual use, it was exclusively silo launched.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thats actually just a more-or-less standard sounding rocket launch pad used for the early tests of the Sprint missile.

In actual use, it was exclusively silo launched.
Well I can make a silo if that is what you guys prefer. Ill get started on it. Only thing is...and the reason I did not make a silo version is how will that look in orbiter? Is it cool enough that people will like it under the surface. But in any regard practice makes perfect. So with that said I will begin on a silo for it. I will use the picture referenced in post #1 :cheers:

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

ok so I had a good start on the silo. I was hoping to give you guys a preview. Then blender crashed on me. How does the saying go? "save often save early?" well needless to say I lost everything. But thats ok tomorrow is another day. I had to go out and mow the lawn and after a couple of adult beverages I am not feeling like doing it right now. :cheers: I will hit the ground running tomarrow after work with something that is good enough to share with the community. Besides after I lost everything It made me realize I was not approaching it from the right angle anyways. I thought of a better more efficient way of modeling it. Everything happens for a reason I guess.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know how to put a silo into Orbiter, but I had some ideas when I was working on my War of the Worlds interplanetary gun silo. I couldn't figure out how to put things underneath the surface of the planet, so I was going to build a hill to raise the terrain and put the silo inside the hilltop. Things came up and I never got to finish it, but I'm not sure how well it would've worked, with frame rates and all. It was going to be a fairly larfe piece of terrain, which I have no experience with.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
The silo that comes with this works well:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3797"]Minuteman II ICBM - New version[/ame]

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We planned using the same "faked hill" for the Safeguard complex add-on. you don't need much, it is just that landing at the base or walking there with a UMMU will look strange unless you push the vehicles up.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
well from the images I have looked at really there isn't to much above the ground other then a dome. If you guys have anything in particular that you would like to see I am open for ideas.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
well from the images I have looked at really there isn't to much above the ground other then a dome. If you guys have anything in particular that you would like to see I am open for ideas.

Well the dome and the antenna are important. For the Spartan missile, it would also be funny to walk into the huge silo, after all, the Spartan missile is in reality a battleship that was born into the body of a SAM.

LIM-49A_Spartan_mockup.png

Size does matter.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com

What about changing the mass or size from the actual values to something else that reduces pressure?
I know this is cheating but.... as long as the performance is realistic, I'm OK with it.

It's kind of what is generally done with sc3 capsules for reentry... when there are no values available, we simply copy / change the drag values to something that provides a stable reentry with the right side up...