Vessel Sprint Anti-Ballistic Missile

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about changing the mass or size from the actual values to something else that reduces pressure?
I know this is cheating but.... as long as the performance is realistic, I'm OK with it.

The problem is the realistic performance there. It can't be stable, when it can reach 20G acceleration with just a tiny change in AOA (Max L/D is at AOA=Half cone angle). As long as you only fly straight up fairly slowly, it is fine, but then, even with 0.1x time warp, if you exceed a dynamic pressure threshold, it will destabilize quickly, tumble and fail. I reduced moments to zero, that had no effect at all, the change in lift was already enough to cause trouble.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I haven't tried any of the orbiter betas. Has anything changed there that would allow close to realistic flights for the missile?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I haven't tried any of the orbiter betas. Has anything changed there that would allow close to realistic flights for the missile?

Not that I know or expect. It could even be more instable then, since the beta also allows wind.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I see...
My only other naive suggestions would be to improve stability via unrealistic aerodynamic parameters and some coding.

If all fails, simply move the mesh by code. Yes, make mass zero and animate it while in atmosphere. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I see...
My only other naive suggestions would be to improve stability via unrealistic aerodynamic parameters and some coding.

If all fails, simply move the mesh by code. Yes, make mass zero and animate it while in atmosphere. :lol:

That could work, but would look silly.

Before we do that, I would suggest programming our own aerodynamics solver and use AddForce for moving the vessel. :lol:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well I didnt have alot of time after work. But I managed to do this in an hour. Very basic mesh and put it into orbiter. I laughed when I first saw it in orbiter. here are some pics
3BeNxxV.jpg

dNEznjI.jpg

hltFQJO.jpg

the bottom pic is under the surface. So what do you guys think? Should I keep going?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, if you really like a good laugh, deattach the sprint vessel from the Silo while it is underground. ;)

And yes, you should keep going... even if this one fails again because of the many problems that we can already imagine, I am pretty sure, the community can learn a lot new ideas from it.

You grow with the challenges.

After all: Only because I failed getting past the simulation issues, this doesn't mean at all, that nobody can do that. I simply didn't like the consequences that the next possible solution would mean.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't get how on earth it survived those kind of launch g's - Wiki says 100g, must have been built well!

Well, better don't think about smart artillery amunitions then. :lol: From 0 to 1,000 m/s in 8 meter barrel length = 62,500 m/s or 6,370 g ... for 0.016 seconds.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
So what do you guys think? Should I keep going?

Looks good, it is what it is :thumbup:

If it doesn't work as a releasable add-on, it certainly deserves to go into OH as developer resources. I wouldn't mind trying some of my unusual suggestion using LUA, for example :)

So keep at it.

(one thing that might work would be to consider it a sci-fi concept and use it on the Moon - no atmosphere = stable. It would go nicely along the Space:1999 stuff)

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
so I am here at work on my lunch hour and I got to thinking. I was pondering on the idea to use Orbiter base maker for sprint missile base. If I remember correctly you can assign your own meshes. And as long as it is modeled correctly (axis below surface) it would work as a base. Then assigning correct attachment points and writting a scenerio file would work. Or can a base have attachment points? Ill have to read up on that. but anyways that's far off right now the priority is to get the meshes completed and of course seperate the missile from the silo as seperate meshes

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Looks good, it is what it is :thumbup:

If it doesn't work as a releasable add-on, it certainly deserves to go into OH as developer resources. I wouldn't mind trying some of my unusual suggestion using LUA, for example :)

So keep at it.

(one thing that might work would be to consider it a sci-fi concept and use it on the Moon - no atmosphere = stable. It would go nicely along the Space:1999 stuff)

thank you! The plan always was to finish the meshes and people could use them however they see fit. I just wanted to challenge myself to produce them.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And make the rocket multiple stages... :D

I would make the silos vehicles of their own, so you can animate them. At least ejecting the cover might be wise before launch.

Also, the Safeguard system was pretty modular, the remote site sprint silo complex and the sprint silo complex at the MSR had been nearly the same in their layout.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@Urwumpe Now that I am at home and looking at those sprint/spartan launch site pics on a bigger screen then my cell phone. It almost seems like I should model both Sprint and Spartan missile also. It does not seem right to model one and not the other :hmm:
Well for now I am going to use the K.I.S.S. rule for the time being. There is so much I want to do the more I think about it. Trying to stay focused and back to modeling I go :cheers:

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

So I am looking at those pics and trying to find the best one for visual reference
1043b.jpg

This must be during construction phase. Notice the Manway covers on top of the silo dome as well as the shackle anchor points used in conjunction with a steel cable or nylon "choker" to lower the lid/dome into place. Now in this next pic and more recent after constuction the manways are gone off the silo lid/dome as well as the anchor "Shackle" points are gone also.
5022c.jpg

So in keeping with the realism and current tech I will go with the second photo. Kinda disappointing though IMO. Those covers with the little rivets and bolts would of added to the detail of the model but at same time would of increased the file size of the model as well. But it is what it is. So getting back to the model.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Well I managed to get some work done. Not as much as I would of liked but its progress I guess. I really dont have alot of dimensions to go by. I am trying to judge it as close as I can. If you guys see anything that might be a little off please tell me. Not sure how far down or where the hatches or manways lead under the ground. I think a little video would explain and describe it better.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, the real operational silo cover is fiber glass, which gets cut into sections during launch by explosive charges for allowing the missile to simply fly through it. Thus the label "XPL" = Explosive.

The other one just keeps the rain out.

And yes, start small and refactor it bigger. ;)

About the interior of the silo, look for the following files:

http://srmsc.org/ref1020.html

There the chapter: "Sprint Missile Subsystem"

Finally, look here:

http://srmsc.org/msr30a0.html

There are blueprints of the silos.

Last edited: