Project SpaceX SuperHeavy

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow! Auto reentry works great.
Will there be an auto deorbit burn feature like on Crew Dragon?
Hi,
maybe at some point in the future, but since IMFD "Base Approach" or BaseApproachMFD can handle the de-orbit burn quite well, it's not a high priority on my "to do" list.
Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
does anyone know whether the Launch Tower QDA arm "claw" grabs the booster stage above or below the grid fins, when the booster is on the pad? Thanks!
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's this animation that shows the "chopsticks" grab the booster just below its grid fins, then slowly moves it back to its launch pedestal:
Thank you :) But I'm actually talking about the "Quick Disconnect Arm" that has the "claw" at the end, with the refuelling lines for the upper stage on the pad - not the "Chopsticks" catch arms.
You can see it on the video you posted at about 2:50, in its retracted position off to one side.

EDIT: Found this diagram on Twitter, which concurs with what I've done already (claw underneath grid fins) - so I'll go with that!

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited:

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
SpaceX officially released an update on their Starship earlier today along with a new animation concept. There's some slight redesigns on the launch towers and the refuelling processes are going to take place on the side of the Starship rather than directly its engines. Also a concept Mars base at the end of the video:

Marijn

Reaction score
The short vid of the booster being catched I posted above suddenly started to gain a lot of traction on YouTube. The vid has 40K+ views by now and everyday some new people subscribe to my YT channel. I think I have 150 new subscribers just because of that vid in the last month. And I am getting credits which should be yours. It was never my intention to upload anything regularly. But now, with so many people tuning in, I feel obliged to create new vids. But I am unsure what to do. I mean, it was just a recording of one of the included scenarios.

It's YT, so there are garbage comments. But also insightful ones, mainly adressing the details of the landing. Personally, I don't care too much about these details. I am much more interested in the reentry autopilot (which I haven't tried out yet).

With the gliding season just about to start, I don't think I'll be doing anything new in a short while.

But I do think there's an opportunity for someone to do this right and grow a channel just with your amazing add-on.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
well, I'm just happy that you liked the add-on enough to make a video about it! (y)
FYI a new update with some mesh updates to Starship, Booster and Mechazilla, and a completely new Starship re-entry autopilot algorithm (more robust and less of a rollercoaster) is almost ready to upload.
Anyway, I hope the weather is good for your gliding - I'd love to give that a try one day!
Cheers,
Brian

Marijn

Reaction score
Great, I am looking forward to the next update!

Not sure about the opportunities for a flight in a glider in your area, but if you happen to be around my place someday, you're very welcome.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Silly question time... why are the grid fins deployed on the booster during the launch? I haven't been able to keep track of Starship for a while due o work commitments, is there something I missed?

diogom

Reaction score
Silly question time... why are the grid fins deployed on the booster during the launch? I haven't been able to keep track of Starship for a while due o work commitments, is there something I missed?
Not sure Musk ever confirmed it (possibly during the tour with Tim Dodd), but basically saves on having a fold down mechanism, without taking a hit in drag, as long as they keep the angle of attack low.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Not sure Musk ever confirmed it (possibly during the tour with Tim Dodd), but basically saves on having a fold down mechanism, without taking a hit in drag, as long as they keep the angle of attack low.
Yes, that is accurate. All Super Heavy boosters will launch with the grid fins deployed.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah! Maybe I should have the grid-fins rotated to be edge on to the airflow for launch? Seems logical.

Great, I am looking forward to the next update!

Not sure about the opportunities for a flight in a glider in your area, but if you happen to be around my place someday, you're very welcome.
That's a heck of an offer :) If I'm ever in your area I'll definitely give you a shout.
I haven't seen any proper gliders round here, but there are quite a few paragliders cruising up and down the coast here, taking advantage of the up-draughts coming up the cliffs.

Cheers,
Brian

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Ah! Maybe I should have the grid-fins rotated to be edge on to the airflow for launch? Seems logical.

That's a heck of an offer :) If I'm ever in your area I'll definitely give you a shout.
I haven't seen any proper gliders round here, but there are quite a few paragliders cruising up and down the coast here, taking advantage of the up-draughts coming up the cliffs.

Cheers,
Brian

Your current configuration for the grid fins is correct Brian. They will launch deployed perpendicular to the airflow.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Your current configuration for the grid fins is correct Brian. They will launch deployed perpendicular to the airflow.
Oh, good! There aren't any animations for the booster stage in launch configuration - so it would have been a bit more work!
Thanks for the infos.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Updated on OH: v.220304

Mesh updates for Starship, Booster and Launch Tower
Keypress changes for AoA Wing Trim (now Alt + PageUp/PageDown/Delete, or Ctrl + for fine adjust)
Added Reentry Auto Pilot [ U ]
Added Fly-by-Wire Reentry function [F] for On/Off, and [Shift + Cursor Pad Arrows] to set Bank and AoA.
Various other code updates (see doc for list of controls, functions, notes etc.)

NOTES:
Reentry autopilot can handle return from LEO 200km to 500km, with up to 50T payload.
Can handle ~250km crossrange error, automatically switches to "Skydive and landing" mode at ~25km alt (hopefully over your target!). If carrying payload you might be advised to keep 3T fuel in the main tank for reentry RCS (landing will require all reserve tank). Use IMFD "Base Approach" or BaseApproachMFD to deorbit to reentry interface (see doc for notes). Activate autopilot above 120km and it should take you all the way to landing :)
If no landing target is set, it just performs a series of roll-reversals at 45deg bank angle, as you descend.

Fly-by-Wire Reentry function for manual reentry. Set Bank and AoA manually, vessel rotates around airspeed vector.
Might be useful for returning from non-LEO situations. If landing target is set, an estimated required deceleration is displayed that targets a speed of 400m/s at 10km range to target (suitable for skydive mode).

Flight Test 1 scenario - launch orbit parameters are set for 160km, if you turn off the launch autopilot at ~150km alt. and switch over to IMFD Base Approach targeting LZ_Kauai, it should put you on course so you can simply turn on the reentry autopilot and watch it fly to target landing zone (don't forget to dump excess fuel before reentry)

Orbiter Wind effects - the Upper Stage (Starship) "Skydive" mode still has difficulty handling surface wind effects - if you are targeting a "catch" by the Launch Tower it can be hit-or-miss with wind effects enabled!

Cheers,
BrianJ

llarian

Reaction score
Updated on OH: v.220304

Mesh updates for Starship, Booster and Launch Tower
Keypress changes for AoA Wing Trim (now Alt + PageUp/PageDown/Delete, or Ctrl + for fine adjust)
Added Reentry Auto Pilot [ U ]
Added Fly-by-Wire Reentry function [F] for On/Off, and [Shift + Cursor Pad Arrows] to set Bank and AoA.
Various other code updates (see doc for list of controls, functions, notes etc.)

NOTES:
Reentry autopilot can handle return from LEO 200km to 500km, with up to 50T payload.
Can handle ~250km crossrange error, automatically switches to "Skydive and landing" mode at ~25km alt (hopefully over your target!). If carrying payload you might be advised to keep 3T fuel in the main tank for reentry RCS (landing will require all reserve tank). Use IMFD "Base Approach" or BaseApproachMFD to deorbit to reentry interface (see doc for notes). Activate autopilot above 120km and it should take you all the way to landing :)
If no landing target is set, it just performs a series of roll-reversals at 45deg bank angle, as you descend.

Fly-by-Wire Reentry function for manual reentry. Set Bank and AoA manually, vessel rotates around airspeed vector.
Might be useful for returning from non-LEO situations. If landing target is set, an estimated required deceleration is displayed that targets a speed of 400m/s at 10km range to target (suitable for skydive mode).

Flight Test 1 scenario - launch orbit parameters are set for 160km, if you turn off the launch autopilot at ~150km alt. and switch over to IMFD Base Approach targeting LZ_Kauai, it should put you on course so you can simply turn on the reentry autopilot and watch it fly to target landing zone (don't forget to dump excess fuel before reentry)

Orbiter Wind effects - the Upper Stage (Starship) "Skydive" mode still has difficulty handling surface wind effects - if you are targeting a "catch" by the Launch Tower it can be hit-or-miss with wind effects enabled!

Cheers,
BrianJ
Can't seem to find the update. Can you provide a link, please?