Project SpaceX SuperHeavy

Marijn

Reaction score
Flight Test 1 scenario - launch orbit parameters are set for 160km, if you turn off the launch autopilot at ~150km alt. and switch over to IMFD Base Approach targeting LZ_Kauai, it should put you on course so you can simply turn on the reentry autopilot and watch it fly to target landing zone (don't forget to dump excess fuel before reentry)
I gave it a few tries, but I can't get into an orbit which sets me up for the re-entry. Can you elaborate a bit on how to set up IMFD for this scenario?

When I set 'Approach for' to Re-Entry and leave the Alt, ReA and Ant parameters to the default values (120, 6.2 & 21), the solution seems quite weird before launch and during launch, it gets completely off. Should this mode and params work?

I tried the Orbit-insert mode as I normally would. That at least doesn't result in a highly eccentric orbit and puts me right over LZ_KAUAI, but then I am unsure how to do the de-orbit burn.

Can you provide some guidance on this? Thanks.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
my method:
Launch Starship using autopilot.
Open IMFD while ascent in progress, in Config set "AB Throttledown = 70".
Go to IMFD Base Approach screen.
Enter target lat. and long. for LZ_KAUAI (can get that from MapMFD or Info tab).
Enter reentry params: Alt.120km , ReA.1.5 deg, Ant.45 deg (some notes in the readme doc).
Enter Flight Time "Hint" 3000s.

At about 150km alt. during ascent, turn off Starship autopilot, cut main engines, engage IMFD Autoburn "AB".

That should put you on an eccentric orbit with Apogee about 570km, on course for LZ_KAUAI.
Dump excess fuel from Starship - engage reentry autopilot before 120km reentry interface.

Works for me :)
Any good?
Cheers,
Brian

Marijn

Reaction score
My Orbiter crashes to desktop when launching the '10km Hop to Catch' scenario when using the 220304 version. When using the 211022 version, this scenario launches ok.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
thanks for the report (y)
Yes, there seems to be a bug(s) with the Launch Tower - and it has got me quite baffled!!
For the time being, in your "10km Hop to Catch" scenario, change the "BC_TOWER" vessel entry line STTS
to:
Code:
STTS 0 0 0 0 0.0
That should enable the scenario to start.

BUT...I get a CTD whenever I try to open a scenario where the Launch Tower is the FocusVessel.....can't figure out why yet :-(
AND... a CTD in the original "10km Hop to Catch" (where the Launch Tower is NOT the FocusVessel).
Ugghhh.
Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
can anyone confirm Marijn's bug: CTD when opening "10km Hop to Catch" scenario ?

@ Marijn - try disabling all unnecessary modules on the Modules tab. Does it fix the bug?

I tried disabling all modules except TransX and ScenarioEditor - it fixed the bug (I think).
Then I enabled them again and the problem is still fixed (I think).

I am confused as to what caused the bug, and why I can't reproduce it after disabling/re-enabling Modules!!

Thanks,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK, after editing the "10km Hop to Catch" scenario as per the post above, and recompiling the Launch Tower module and cleaning up the mesh, the bug seems to have gone away. But since I couldn't actually find the cause, I'm still a bit suspicious :cautious:

Updated on OH: v.220319
Launch tower mesh adjusted and module recompiled.
10km Hop to Catch scenario fixed.

Let me know if problem persists.
Many thanks,
Brian

Marijn

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast repair! The scenario does launch normally now.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Updated on OH: v.220328

Tweak to Booster descent/catch sequence.
Removed annoying debug text from Starship reentry sequence.
Fixed wrongly named starship2.dll (should be starship_2.dll)

Marijn

Reaction score
Doing the Flight Test 1 scenario. Only change I made was setting the MJD to one year later at 59764.7115100934.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Super video! (y)
I see you landed ~20km short - it usually does a bit better than that - I'll have to do some more work on the autopilot ;-)

Marijn

Reaction score
I am rendering the video again without the booster in view, just to check I didn't mess up the coordinates. Then I'll do some more test flights.
edit: The coordinates were correct.

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
FYI, I have tried several reentries and almost always come up short as well. (Targeting BocaChica)
Thanks for the reports - I'll see if I can make it work better!
EDIT: If anyone can post a scenario that leads to landing-short, that would be a help. Preferably starting above 120km alt.
many thanks!

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is a scenario that always comes up short every time... well, except for once…
Thanks very much (y)
Thats a real help for me to see where the AP fails.
Cheers,
Brian