Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.2 with Dragon CRS-8 April 8 2016

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cf0pDAOUAAAtL9c.jpg:large

SpaceX on Twitter said:

So, they recovered it without it tipping over in the rough seas. Maybe our concerns weren't warranted after all. Maybe the CG is low enough to where it'd take an excessive tilt to tip the rocket over.

Now we have to see if the rocket works - if the landing didn't impart damage.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
About not tipping over, I've read somewhere, maybe here on OF, that Falcon's feet are actually welded to the deck before sailing away.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Video from the Port Canaveral Web Cam of the rigging operation to lay the stage horizontal.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-YGZwH6ebw"]SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Goes Horizontal at Port Canaveral 4/18/2016 - YouTube[/ame]

Interesting that the legs are removed. Why would they do that vs. simply retracting them? Or can they be retracted once extended?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Interesting that the legs are removed. Why would they do that vs. simply retracting them? Or can they be retracted once extended?

I would say it can't be retracted, it is simply extended by pneumatic pressure and operates by pyrotechnics. Simple, limited, but effective.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Just grab the screen with your mouse. Left click and hold and move the mouse.

Nope, that's not the problem. I can't pan at all. I see the entire image as a Mercator projection on a static 2D screen. I see the video, but it is like looking through a fish-eye lens.

I was once able to view these videos properly, but that was several Firefox versions ago.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Just grab the screen with your mouse. Left click and hold and move the mouse.

I've had other 360 videos work that way for me, but this one doesn't do anything until I release the left button and then it pauses.

Also get the distorted full screen.

Mafo

Reaction score
I had to view it on youtube - the embedded version wouldn't pan around (just start/pause).

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Same here, on Youtube it works.
It is kind of scary seeing this thing approaching, like a creature from Aliens coming in, spreading out its fangs, while trying to burn you with its firey breath! :uhh:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It sounds like you can hear the engine igniting, after you see it in the distance?

Also, watch the horizon; you can see how much rolling and pitching the barge was doing.

And right at touchdown the rocket was closer to the bullseye and then it skidded sideways a bit as the engine cutoff. That's a little scary.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
For those of you having trouble seeing using the 360 view, try looking at it using another browser. Chrome should work.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Worked for me on both Chrome and Firefox, embedded and not embedded...

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
...please stop guessing!
What is needed for a full 360 experience is Flash! Due to the fact that Chrome has build in Flash (which is not an optional addon in Chrome), Chrome will show it correct - watching direct on youtube that is.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...please stop guessing!
What is needed for a full 360 experience is Flash! Due to the fact that Chrome has build in Flash (which is not an optional addon in Chrome), Chrome will show it correct - watching direct on youtube that is.

I have Chrome and it works correctly on YouTube, but not in the embeded player. Urwumpe claims he has Chrome and Firefox and can watch correctly in the embeded player. Neither of us are guessing. These are observations.

Seems there might be more going on than just flash.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have Chrome and it works correctly on YouTube, but not in the embeded player. Urwumpe claims he has Chrome and Firefox and can watch correctly in the embeded player. Neither of us are guessing. These are observations.

Seems there might be more going on than just flash.

In browsers where Flash is optional you can (more or less) configure what Flash is allowed to do and what not.
On Chrome most of this settings are: "Yes to all", but can be disabled / enabled by user, so your mileage may vary.
On Firefox there might be options to allow or disallow embedded Flash videos to do all the things, too.

I almost completely "banned" Flash from all my browsers (due to all those security issues and update-hell lately). Chrome is still available for when I need something with Flash.
So yes, you can say it's something more than just Flash. It's a combination of Flash and user-settings. The browser itself being the most irrelevant part of it.

Nevertheless, let's say "I am wrong" and close this issue here (before this is beginning to go waaay off-topic)
:tiphat: