Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.2 with Dragon CRS-8 April 8 2016

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Barge landing attempt according to the article.

The odds on this one are a bit better as there are wider performance margins, but given that the last one seemed to have missed the barge completely and no video was released, I'm not expecting the landing to succeed.

*Humming the theme of "Das Boot"* :hide:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Barge landing attempt according to the article.

The odds on this one are a bit better as there are wider performance margins, but given that the last one seemed to have missed the barge completely and no video was released, I'm not expecting the landing to succeed.

Correct. The ASDS left port yesterday morning to support the landing attempt.

FWIW, I believe this one has a high chance of being successful. Jason-3's first stage would have survived its landing attempt if the leg had not failed to completely deploy during the attempt. SES-9 came in incredibly hot due to mission requirements (GTO mission) and was not expected to survive anyways.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, at least with every failure they gain data. Eventually they'll get it.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Correct. The ASDS left port yesterday morning to support the landing attempt.

FWIW, I believe this one has a high chance of being successful. Jason-3's first stage would have survived its landing attempt if the leg had not failed to completely deploy during the attempt. SES-9 came in incredibly hot due to mission requirements (GTO mission) and was not expected to survive anyways.

That's fair enough. This one does get to slow down more and yes, the leg really screwed them over the last time.

But it does seem like even if they get this one, there's still a lot of work to do to actually get the thing to reliably land on the ship.

There's one more thing that's been on my mind for all this time:
What exactly prevents the stage from tipping over post launch if the ship rocks with the waves?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I thought one of the failed barge landing videos actually showed the RCS jets on the nose very clearly fighting to keep the booster upright. Or amI misremembering?

That's correct. The question is though how long will the RCS be firing after touchdown?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's correct. The question is though how long will the RCS be firing after touchdown?

Exactly - in the movie, the RCS fired long enough to consume a significant amount of RCS fuel. In the SpaceX landing attempts, it only fired as long as post-landing guidance was still active.

Technically, you need to secure the stage after landing or prevent large list/pitch angles and velocities of the barge. Or both.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
It'll be interesting to see what procedure they have for that. I can't imagine they'll allow people on the barge to secure the stage while the RCS is firing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It'll be interesting to see what procedure they have for that. I can't imagine they'll allow people on the barge to secure the stage while the RCS is firing.

I also doubt that, but right now, it is also none of their problems.

Any technical solution to securing the stage after landing for transport adds complexity and can turn a successful landing into a disaster. A flat even surface, not too slippery, is everything that is needed right now, even if the stage could get lost seconds later.

Should I see a live stream of the landing, my expectation of success is that easy: "touchdown, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... VICTORY!" Everything that happens after 5 stable seconds is optional.

For later landings, it would make sense to develop systems that interlock with the landing gear for initial stability. Later you can manually center it and lower it to horizontal position for transport.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
There's one more thing that's been on my mind for all this time:
What exactly prevents the stage from tipping over post launch if the ship rocks with the waves?

Extremely low center of mass of the nearly empty stage, down by the engines. I wouldn't worry so much about rocking, but I'd worry about high wind. I wonder if they have some provision to get crew on board to guy it down after landing.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Run out onto a pitching deck in high wind gusts to try to chain down a rocket booster with hypergolic propellants and possibly still-active RCS jets? Sure I'll do it if you pay me enough. But it's gonna have to be a LOT.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Run out onto a pitching deck in high wind gusts to try to chain down a rocket booster with hypergolic propellants and possibly still-active RCS jets? Sure I'll do it if you pay me enough. But it's gonna have to be a LOT.
Hypergolic propellants? Neither RP-1 (refined kerosene) nor LOX is hypergolic. And the RCS uses gaseous nitrogen of which there is plenty in the atmosphere (80+%). The stage is safed once touchdown is confirmed.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hypergolic propellants? Neither RP-1 (refined kerosene) nor LOX is hypergolic. And the RCS uses gaseous nitrogen of which there is plenty in the atmosphere (80+%). The stage is safed once touchdown is confirmed.

Ah, I wasn't aware of the RCS propellant. Thought it would have to be hypergolic to have any strength.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ah, I wasn't aware of the RCS propellant. Thought it would have to be hypergolic to have any strength.
No. It all boils down to the pressure of the gas. I'm not familiar enough with the Falcon to cite any specifics on it, but it's rather high pressure as well as the thrusters being located rather high up which eases the thrust requirements.

The primary control is through the grid fins, the GN2 thrusters are for extra assist when the grid fins doesn't have enough force to control the stage.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The primary control is through the grid fins, the GN2 thrusters are for extra assist when the grid fins doesn't have enough force to control the stage.

And for roll control during single engine flight. But AFAIR, the engines use hypergolic starters.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Why are the unmanned supply missions attached to the ISS by capture and berthing, while the manned Dragon capsule will have a conventional docking port? Wouldn't it be easier to let the Dragon dock like the Progress freighters do?