Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 Return to Flight with 11 Orbcomm-2 satellites, December 21/22, 2015

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The enthusiasm is awesome. The enthusiasm right outside mission control, not so awesome. Some people have work to do.

And I think the hipsters need to shave and tuck in their shirts. MC should have standards:

WEB11773-2011h.jpg

Remember that down the road there will be astronauts on these rockets. Having mission control look like the monkey cage at the zoo during feeding time is not a good idea.
What you see is not MCC-X but the actual factory floor where the Falcons are manufactured. Remember, SpaceX HQ is more than a business/administrative HQ, it's an all-in-one deal. Very similar to the KSC Operations&Checkout Building which has the flight crew quarters on the second floor. This goes all the way back to when SpaceX was still launching Falcon 1s.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I can't wait to see a Falcon 9 Heavy where three first stages come flying back to land!

I don't think they're planning on doing a core stage recover. Or they'll probably try to barge it at least I would think.

Pablo49

Reaction score
The enthusiasm is awesome. The enthusiasm right outside mission control, not so awesome. Some people have work to do.

And I think the hipsters need to shave and tuck in their shirts. MC should have standards:

WEB11773-2011h.jpg

Remember that down the road there will be astronauts on these rockets. Having mission control look like the monkey cage at the zoo during feeding time is not a good idea.

That was also early 1970, though. What he is wearing is also something he'd probably be seen just wearing around his house. You aren't better at watching a computer screen because you have nice slacks on instead of blue jeans. I mean, by all means, argue you prefer them dress nice or something, but don't argue it makes any actual difference, that is just silly.

But I guess you're right, NASA would never get so excited after nailin' it.
RosyCtT.jpg

And ESA wouldn't be caught dead losing their minds while wearing adorable Philae t-shirts.
Z9YvQ1a.jpg

No monkies to be seen here!

(related: I want a philae tshirt.)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can't wait to see a Falcon 9 Heavy where three first stages come flying back to land!

I would say the landing is then just about one thing

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 AM ----------

Yeah, but there is a good difference to consider.

1. It ain't over before the fat lady sings.
2. If you celebrate too soon, you look like a real jerk.
3. If you do it wrong, people will spend more time discussing your aloha shirt than the spaceflight history you just did with your coworkers.
4. Nothing looks cooler than a steely-eyed missile man unbuttoning his shirt after landing to expose the "Worst first landing ever!" shirt below.
5. Your customers don't want to see Appaloosa teenagers handling their multi-billion dollar investment. Regardless how "modern" and "cool" your customer are themselves, no orchestrated enthusiasm will ever be a replacement for professionalism.
6. The good old German football rule: Who celebrates hard can also work hard.

(related: I want a philae tshirt.)

I have two here. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can't wait to see a swimming pool on the moon. So what?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't wait to see a swimming pool on the moon. So what?

We're having a moment, here, don't wreck it!

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

And, BTW, a swimming pool on the moon sounds awesome.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Family members in Merritt Island didn't see the landing but definitely heard it.

Twin sonic booms were heard once again across Cape Canaveral.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
From Elon:

Elon Musk @elonmusk
Falcon 9 standing on LZ-1 at Cape Canaveral

CWzMPm2U8AAca4k.jpg:orig

CWzNZC_UkAEDgBv.jpg:orig

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Video from Port Canaveral if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This stage will never fly again as I understand it, nor will it be put into a museum (although if I were Elon I'd have it placed in my front yard).

Taken apart for testing, then?

It looks a bit scorched. I wonder if some of that is from the second stage's jet wash.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Taken apart for testing, then?

It looks a bit scorched. I wonder if some of that is from the second stage's jet wash.

Correct. As I understand it the next stage that'll be recovered will be the one that'll be reused.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Heh. So, Blue Origin will still be the first to demonstrate reusability, then.