Launch News SUCCESS: SpaceX F9 SES 16/GovSat-1 (Wednesday, Jan. 31, at 4:25 p.m. EST/21:25 UTC)

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
27078889924_af7746e1d8_k9.jpg

SpaceX is now targeting launch of the GovSat-1 satellite to a Geostationary Transfer Orbit (GTO) from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida on Wednesday, January 31, at 4:25 p.m. EST, or 21:25 UTC. The satellite will deploy approximately 32 minutes after launch.

Falcon 9’s first stage for the GovSat-1 mission previously supported the NROL-76 mission from LC-39A in May 2017. SpaceX will not attempt to recover Falcon 9’s first stage after launch.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYLXS3-yO0M"]GOVSAT-1 PRE LAUNCH INTERVIEW WITH CEO PATRICK BIEWER - YouTube[/ame]

|
Launch date:​
|
January 31, 2018​
Window open:​
|
4:25 p.m. EST/2125 UTC​
Window close:​
|
6:46 p.m. EST/2346 UTC​
Launch site:​
|
Space Launch Complex 40, Cape Canaveral, FL, USA​

{colsp=2}
[highlight]L[eventtimer]2018-01-31 21:25:00;%c%%ddd%/%hh%:%mm%:%ss%[/eventtimer][/highlight]​
|

{colsp=1}
Mission Patch​
index.php

Launch coverage:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScYUA51-POQ"]GovSat-1 Launch - YouTube[/ame]

Payload:

SES 16 / GovSat is a communications satellite operated by LuxGovSat, a joint venture between commercial satellite operator SES and the Government of Luxembourg to create a satellite for military/government and institutional applications. The satellite was built by Virginia-based Orbital ATK using the company’s GEOStar-3 satellite platform that debuted earlier in 2018 on the Al Yah 3 mission, making SES 16 only the second satellite to employ this particular platform.

SES 16, operated by LuxGovSat S.A., will “provide secure, reliable and accessible satellite communication services for governments, addressing connectivity demands for defence and institutional security applications,” according to parent company SES. The ~4-metric-ton satellite hosts a multi-mission payload comprising a secure X-Band payload for government use and a military Ka-Band payload for data-intensive services. One novelty for SES 16 is the existence of a special port on the satellite that can welcome a hosted payload arriving via docking in orbit.

GovSat-512x384.jpg
|
GovSatOrbitalatk-684x1024.jpg
|
GovSat-1_013_resize-1-768x512.jpg

{colsp=2}
Specifications

Type / Application:|
  • Communication

Operator:|
  • SES
  • LuxGovSat

Contractors:|
  • Orbital Sciences Corporation (OSC)

Equipment:|
  • X-band and military Ka-band transponders

Configuration:|
Dimensions:|
  • ?

Propulsion:|
  • IHI BT-4
  • 4 x XR-5 Hall Current Thrusters

Power:|
  • 2 deployable solar arrays
  • batteries

Lifetime:|
  • 15 years (Fueled for >16 years)

Mass:|
  • ~4000 kg

Orbit:|
  • GEO

Launch Vehicle:

Falcon 9 FT represents an evolved version of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 v1.1 rocket incorporating a number of performance enhancements to enable the launch vehicle to lift heavy satellites to Geostationary Transfer Orbit while preserving the option of re-using the first stage. Operated by Space Exploration Technologies, the rocket represents the third evolutionary stage of the Falcon 9. The Falcon 9 Full Thrust (FT) vehicle is also known as ‘Falcon 9 Upgrade,’ ‘Enhanced Falcon 9,’ ‘Full Performance Falcon 9’ and ‘Falcon v1.2.’

The Falcon 9 FT launch vehicle is based on the Falcon 9 v1.1 (F9R) which in turn built on the original Falcon 9, retrospectively known as the v1.0 version of the rocket. Falcon 9 v1.0 was inaugurated in 2010 and flew successfully five times until 2013 when it was succeeded by the v1.1 version of the launcher. Falcon 9 v1.1 is retired after 15 missions, one of which was a failure. The v1.1 version itself was subject to a stepwise evolution, notably the implementation of reusability technologies on its first stage. These systems, among other changes, are standard on the Falcon 9 FT that premieres in late 2015 and is likely the final version of Falcon 9 with the maximum possible performance.

27294262015_caf6d1648c_o-683x1024.jpg

The Falcon 9 Full Thrust launch vehicle retains the overall design of the previous Falcon 9 rockets as a two-stage-to-orbit launch vehicle. Its first stage includes all systems necessary for an operational re-use of stages while the second stage is operated as an expendable rocket stage.

Falcon 9 FT stands 70 meters tall, is 3.66 meters in diameter and has a launch mass of 549,054 Kilograms. Both stages use sub-cooled Liquid Oxygen and chilled Rocket Propellant 1 as propellants consumed by Merlin 1D engines, nine of which are installed on the first stage while the second stage hosts a single Merlin 1D engine optimized for operation in vacuum.

SpaceX lists the payload capability of the Falcon 9 FT as 22,800 Kilograms to Low Earth Orbit and 8,300kg to Geostationary Transfer Orbit – these figures are for the fully expendable configuration of the vehicle. Leaving sufficient propellant margin for the return of the first stage to the Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship for later re-use cuts the payload mass to GTO to around 5,500 Kilograms.

To achieve an operational re-usability of Falcon 9 first stages, all Falcon 9 FT rockets are outfitted with a reaction control system, four grid fins for steering and four deployable landing legs. Dropping the second stage off on its way to orbit, the first stage goes through a series of complex propulsive maneuvers before guiding itself through the atmosphere towards a target landing site for a soft touchdown under the power of one of its Merlin engines to be re-used on a future flight.

{colsp=2}
Specifications

Height:|
  • 70m

Diameter:|
  • 3.66m

Launch Mass:|
  • 549,054kg

Stages:|

Boosters:|
  • None

Mass to LEO:|
  • 22,800 kg

Mass to GTO:|
  • 8,300 kg

Mass to Mars:|
  • 4,020 kg

Launch Cost:|
  • $62M

L-1 Weather forecast for LC-40, CCAFS, Florida 30th January 2018 (Launch Window)

Time​
|
Temps​
|
Pressure​
|
Relative Humidity​
|
Visibility​
|
Solar Activity​
|
Wind​
|
Weather
Launch Window (4:25 p.m. - 6:46 p.m. EST)​
|
60°F​
|
30.30 inHg​
|
60%​
|
7 miles​
|
Low​
|
360° @ 25 P30 (200')​
|
Partly Cloudy​

Launch day overall probability of violating weather constraints: 60%
Primary concern(s): Liftoff Winds

24-hour delay overall probability of violating weather constraints 10%
Primary concern(s): Thick Cloud Layer Rule

Next forecast will be issued: 30 January 2018

Links:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But the legs are new. They generally remove the legs for expendable missions. Was this core repurposed for a new payload after being refurbished?

Well, I more think along the lines: Maybe its cheaper to install fake legs/covers there than to remove them completely.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I suspect it have something to do with the legs/covers being aerodynamically significant, so removing them would require changes to the flight profile and/or guidance or something tricky like that.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Launch has moved back 24 hours.

Spacex said:
SpaceX is now targeting launch of the GovSat-1 satellite to a Geostationary Transfer Orbit (GTO) from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida on Wednesday, January 31, at 4:25 p.m. EST, or 21:25 UTC. The satellite will deploy approximately 32 minutes after launch.

Spacex (via Twitter) said:
Standing down for today. Team is going to replace a second stage sensor. Next available launch opportunity is tomorrow, January 31

Last edited:

Messierhunter

Reaction score
If they are not planning to recover it, why does it have landing legs?

2018-01-30-151809.jpg

Well, just like the Block 3 booster itself, the legs will have no value once Block 5 becomes the standard. The Block 5 legs are different and have enhanced protection as well as a retraction mechanism to speed up reuse. Might as well use them up to practice a soft ocean landing and get more data. For all we know, they might even be retrofitting it with some new Block 5 deployment/retraction components to flight test it before those components have to fly on a mission they plan to recover. Unlikely I guess, but seems possible.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe a Block III booster performs better if he thinks he's got landing legs on. Impress the boss, get to fly again? He's heard that landing on an ASDS is a pretty cool experience! :)

Zeehond

Reaction score
Maybe a Block III booster performs better if he thinks he's got landing legs on. Impress the boss, get to fly again? He's heard that landing on an ASDS is a pretty cool experience! :)

This booster doesn't need an ASDS:

DU6DAbgUMAAWbNZ.jpg:large

Going to be hard to tow this to port with any speed with those big landing legs sticking out.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This booster doesn't need an ASDS:

Going to be hard to tow this to port with any speed with those big landing legs sticking out.

Not sure - might actually make it easier since it has a pretty stable position that way. Also, those tugboats are powerful. :lol:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
How?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU6DAbgUMAAWbNZ.jpg

[ame="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/958847818583584768"]Elon Musk on Twitter: "This rocket was meant to test very high retrothrust landing in water so it didn’t hurt the droneship, but amazingly it has survived. We will try to tow it back to shore.… https://t.co/wAIBtlLyTz"[/ame]

How do I score this one?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Missed the battleship.

Messierhunter

Reaction score

A failure to expend an expendable?

Also, if the Falcon Heavy boosters both land successfully, I assume that counts for one LZ-1 landing and one LZ-2 landing. Guess you'll have to change the count to Landing Complex 1 landings?

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
A failure to expend an expendable?

Also, if the Falcon Heavy boosters both land successfully, I assume that counts for one LZ-1 landing and one LZ-2 landing. Guess you'll have to change the count to Landing Complex 1 landings?

We're rapidly getting to the point where counting will become a fool's errand, rather like McDonald's counting burgers sold.

Falcon 9's recovered: Lots.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the GovSat1 booster has been recovered? I'm really curious to know if it made it to port, or if it was scuttled.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the GovSat1 booster has been recovered? I'm really curious to know if it made it to port, or if it was scuttled.

There are reports circulating that the US Air Force may have actually performed an airstrike on the booster to scuttle it. Why they chose to use that particular method is unclear, but it may be due to indications that some of the pressure bottles were still pressurized, but of unknown integrity and could have let go at any time.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Good for training too.

Sort of reminds me :hmm:
We have potentially explosive rusty propane tanks show up on our beaches from time to time after storms and I've considered shooting them with long-distance hunting rifles from nearby cliff tops as a potential way of "diffusing" them.

Never had to resort to this though, they usually wash away again by the time I can go back and look for it.

(p.s. these are extremely remote beaches BTW :lol:)
(p.s.s. I'm not just some rogue quack I actually have marine debris safety and disposal obligation for work)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good for training too.

Sort of reminds me :hmm:
We have potentially explosive rusty propane tanks show up on our beaches from time to time after storms and I've considered shooting them with long-distance hunting rifles from nearby cliff tops as a potential way of "diffusing" them.

Never had to resort to this though, they usually wash away again by the time I can go back and look for it.

(p.s. these are extremely remote beaches BTW :lol:)
(p.s.s. I'm not just some rogue quack I actually have marine debris safety and disposal obligation for work)

I think there was a Mythbusters episode where they tested that.