The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Spaceflight Now:

Dragon's laser ranging instrument, called a LIDAR system, and the capsule's thermal imager appear to working as expected, but the big test won't come until Friday's final rendezvous with the International Space Station. The sensors will then be called upon to feed precise range and relative velocity data to Dragon's flight computer and guidance system.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Hopefully things go as well at berthing as they did on launch.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just shows, you can't keep good people down, in spite of their politicians.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I've got to say, seeing such a successful initial launch eased some of my initial skepticism about it.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Those photographs are real artwork :blink:

Do you know where the "yellow-green halo" that engulfs the capsule comes from on the last pic ? Picture artifact or gases released by the ignition ?

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Those photographs are real artwork :blink:

Do you know where the "yellow-green halo" that engulfs the capsule comes from on the last pic ? Picture artifact or gases released by the ignition ?

Judging by the location and shape, its a reflection of the light from the engines bouncing off the digital camera sensor and bouncing off the lens elements back into the sensor. A common issue with digital lowlight photography. You can see it in some of the other photos as well. The color change can be caused by coatings used on the lens elements, the shift caused from several air-glass-air transitions, or the color of the filters on the sensor itself which usually are blue green.

Last edited:

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Well, the word "awesome" is thrown around a lot these days.

However, in this case...... :thumbup:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASASpaceflight: SpaceX’s Dragon already achieving key milestones following Falcon 9 ride:
Preliminary results are showing SpaceX’s Falcon 9 enjoyed a nominal ride uphill – with no issues – prior to deploying the Dragon spacecraft on orbit. So as not to let down its ride, Dragon then passed several major – and new – milestones, including the deployment of both solar arrays, and the opening of its GNC door, as the vehicle now chases its prize, a date with the ISS.

{...}

SPACE.com: SpaceX's Private Rocket Launch Just Step 1 of Tough Test Flight

mbartley

Reaction score
For a little while after 2nd stage ignition, it looked like there was some liquid dripping away from the hardware in the foreground of the main engine nozzle. Just melting ice?

Also regarding 2nd stage, in another forum someone asked what that small object in the center of the video that occasionally pivoted rapidly. I'm guessing that's a gas generator exhaust nozzle, being vectored for maneuvering?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Universe Today: A Look Inside the Dragon Capsule, Now in Orbit

Dragon-capsule-inside.jpg

An automated image taken from inside SpaceX's Dragon capsule after launch. Credit: SpaceX​

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
:censored:! I missed the launch!

Hopefully I won't be in school during docking.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also regarding 2nd stage, in another forum someone asked what that small object in the center of the video that occasionally pivoted rapidly. I'm guessing that's a gas generator exhaust nozzle, being vectored for maneuvering?

Yup- the MVac gas generator exhaust is used for roll control of the second stage.