Question Space Station mainnode mod

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I have a question that maybe some of the more experienced addon developers could answer. I was starting to work on a modification for the space station mainnode, [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4043"]StationMods[/ame]
I want to know how to change the location of the docking ports in the actual C++ code. I want to take the node and give it more of an elongated U shape. I am new to making addons, right now I am learning how to program in C++ now. So I was starting with a relatively simple mod. Could someone help me by letting me know how to change the location of the docking port. Thankyou in advance. full credit for the work he did in making the orriginal addon

p.s. I will give anemazoso full credit for the work he did in making the orriginal addon:probe:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
To change the actual C++ code (i.e., the DLL itself) you would need to have access to the station's C++ source code so you could recompile it into a new (updated) DLL. Assuming you can obtain the source code to the station you want to modify, take a look in the Orbiter API Reference PDF in the section titled "Docking port management" on page 73 (in particular, the CreateDock method). Those are the method calls you would need to modify in the source code in order to change the docking port locations.

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have no problem with anyone using any of my meshes provided proper credit is given and it is only used as a free add-on for Orbiter. I look forward to seeing what is created, but it sounds like you would like to alter the mesh. If you need a custom mesh based on the mainnode I would be happy to provide one :)

Also, the add-on StationMods was created with SC3 so there are no .dll's filles that call out the dock ports. :cheers:

Last edited:

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Thank You so much.:) I was hoping to create my own mesh for it. I like a challenge. I still have to do some more math to find the optimal angle. The idea behind the add-on was to make it possible to construct a more-or-less "circular" space station that pilots could build in orbit. I've read some comments about how it can't be done very easily and all the circular stations that I can find can not be built in orbit. I guess I am so new to add-on development that I did not know you could not use the dll files to modify the code. Thank you again.

p.s. I was going to contact you for your blessing if I found out whether or not it was even possible. Assuming of course I could find a way to contact you. I did not know it would be this easy. I guess now I can skip that. :probe:

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thank You so much.:) I was hoping to create my own mesh for it. I like a challenge. I still have to do some more math to find the optimal angle. The idea behind the add-on was to make it possible to construct a more-or-less "circular" space station that pilots could build in orbit. I've read some comments about how it can't be done very easily and all the circular stations that I can find can not be built in orbit. I guess I am so new to add-on development that I did not know you could not use the dll files to modify the code. Thank you again.

p.s. I was going to contact you for your blessing if I found out whether or not it was even possible. Assuming of course I could find a way to contact you. I did not know it would be this easy. I guess now I can skip that. :probe:

No problem :thumbup:

I have to warn you though, I don't think Orbiter can support objects docked to each other in a circle (or square for that matter). Example: Lets say you wanted to make a square using 4 hab modules and 4 nodes. when you go to a connect the last piece, lets say its the 4th node to each hab module I think Orbiter will crash. You might want to have it dock on one side and just have it look like its connected on the other side.

Happy modding :cheers: