Space Shuttle Ultra Cockpit for Shuttle Fleet

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
I see this question was raised by Yoda in 2009, but seeing as how that was quite a while ago, I decided to make a new one.

While Space Shuttle Ultra looks very cool, I'm sitting it out for the time being until things become more developed. With that said, I currently use Shuttle Fleet, but I've come to appreciate the greater detail of the SSU cockpit in terms of visual aesthetics alone.

To that end, I basically downloaded these textures, put them in a folder called SSU under Textures, and had the newVC.msh contents from here replace the AtlantisVC.msh file contents. Doing that seemed to work to some extent, but it causes the viewpoint to be messed up, and there is what appears to be a second overlapping cockpit. Plus, I seem to be missing some additional files that improve the overhead panel.

So, obviously my technique isn't quite right. Has anyone been able to accomplish this? Or perhaps be able to offer any input?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There are many differences between the two shuttles, size and what is included in the meshes to name two.

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
Hmm... I'm guessing the SSU cockpit is smaller than the default cockpit?

Is there no way around this, even if it means replacing the entire Shuttle Fleet mesh with that of the SSU one? Or would that just create additional problems?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hmm... I'm guessing the SSU cockpit is smaller than the default cockpit?

Is there no way around this, even if it means replacing the entire Shuttle Fleet mesh with that of the SSU one? Or would that just create additional problems?

It should be slightly bigger if I remember correctly.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
changing size also changes animation positions.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
changing size also changes animation positions.

Yes. There's just too many differences between SSU and SF to make straight lifts possible. I'm sorry to say that you'll have to settle with what SF got right now. The only other option that I can see is if someone decides to either upgrade the SF VC or make new one especially for SF.

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
Oh well, it was worth a shot. Thank you all though, for answering the question!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oh well, it was worth a shot. Thank you all though, for answering the question!

We could also make a "More beginner-friendly" version of SSU. There is not a lack of ideas there, but a lack of people with time who implement such features.

Usability is currently far behind in our priorities list becausing we focus more on realism and accuracy. But that does not mean that SSU has to be too complex for beginners for all eternity. There is for example the possibility to add AI crew members and commander assistants to reduce the workload. A mission control simulation is already in the schedule because it is impossible to fly the Shuttle on a real mission without mission control guiding it.

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
That would definitely be cool.

I guess I wouldn't even mind moving over to SSU fully. But it's my understanding that certain things, like a full reentry, can't really be done realistically?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But it's my understanding that certain things, like a full reentry, can't really be done realistically?

What do you mean with not realistically?

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
The reentry only for KSC and with manual computed and inputted deorbit has been implemented one year and a half ago.

The shuttle makes S-Turns and 40º AOA and corrections during the reentry. (Only for KSC and a correct deorbit).

And you have reentry effects too.