Space Shuttle Ultra 1.25 Revision B development

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Finally done with the C/W matrix on F7. Each light is now separate and named with the prefix of "CW_". Should the dark material be the default material?

See above... I think when you make it the default material, the other material would not be written into the mesh file, since it is not used. You would always need to manually edit the mesh afterwards and add the material.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
the other material would not be written into the mesh file, since it is not used. You would always need to manually edit the mesh afterwards and add the material.
Not really, if I add it to a something simple like a plane that's really small and practically invisible. This way it would always be written and included and ready to be used.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Checked in the updated VC mesh. Let me know if you spot any problems.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

A bare-bones technical document on the SSU VC has been checked in.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

I have checked in fixed files that takes care of the undeclared identifier errors that was caused by the VC updates.

---------- Post added 08-26-13 at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-25-13 at 10:07 PM ----------

I checked in a few fixes to a number of mistakes that I had done. This includes checking in updated textures for the F7 C/W matrix and the C3 panel.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Just commited a few fixes to the recent VC update, and also added the switches I was working on (they do nothing because I'm still finishing the systems they act upon).

A thing that I noticed after the recent updates is that in the STS-1 scenario the orbiter is TOTALLY white on the outside. Also tested the STS-107 and a SLC-6 scn and they have no problems. (It could also be my 18th century computer is not working as it should, but it's the first time this happens)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A thing that I noticed after the recent updates is that in the STS-1 scenario the orbiter is TOTALLY white on the outside.
That's on me. I had forgotten to check in the texture, this is fixed.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
While waiting on a few items from Donamy, I decided in the mean-time to try my hand making the new OMS pods that interface with the new aft compartment shoulders correctly.

After a bit of trial and error, I think I'm getting really close. With any luck I should have the mesh done really soon.

New_orbiter_OMS.jpg

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are the OMS pods symetrical ? I mean if you cut one in half, would they be mirror images?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Are the OMS pods symetrical ? I mean if you cut one in half, would they be mirror images?

I don't think so, it looks like there are subtile differences in the profile... and of course, especially at the aft end, where the RCS thrusters are.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
They're not quite symmetrical due to the shape of the aft compartment shoulders. These are the best photos I have found that shows this.

The first photo shows the left ALTA OMS being fit-checked on Endeavour in the VAB to practice the installation of the ALTA OMS pods on Enterprise at the Udvar-Hazy Center.

The second photo show the bottom of Endeavour's left OMS pod after it had been removed for decommissioning in the OPF after STS-134. It would later be sent to the WSTF where all the hazardous stuff would be removed after which it would be sent back to KSC for re-installation on Endeavour.

OMS_1.jpg

OMS_2.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Update: Nearly done with the left OMS pod, I just need to do some tweaks here and there but for the most part it is done.

Donamy: When do you think you could provide a ARCS pod that has holes in the structure for the actual thrusters?

New_orbiter_OMS_2.jpg

---------- Post added 09-03-13 at 04:14 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-02-13 at 06:52 PM ----------

After the slight resizing of the actual pods, both of them are done minus the texture mapping. Currently they look like the OV-101 ALTA pods that also served as simulator used on ferry flights of the actual orbiters to and from Palmdale/EDW and KSC for OMDPs.

New_orbiter_13.jpg

New_orbiter_14.jpg

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hope this can be of use?

1jwXBp8.jpg

909KqhY.jpg

388BudY.jpg

JvyvPRm.jpg

3lSH2xb.jpg

Nothing like pictures of the real thing I guess. My mom noted that the upper skin of the shuttle as shown in the last photo looks like a blanket.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
She is correct!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My mom noted that the upper skin of the shuttle as shown in the last photo looks like a blanket.

Could be because it is a blanket. :lol: Its called "Flexible Insulation Blanket" or FIB or Advanced Flexible Reusable Insulation (AFRSI)

It replaced the white tiles flown on the early Space Shuttles.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could be because it is a blanket. :lol: Its called "Flexible Insulation Blanket" or FIB or Advanced Flexible Reusable Insulation (AFRSI)

It replaced the white tiles flown on the early Space Shuttles.

Well Im not surprised that NASA might refer to it as a blanket, but this thing brought to mind "soft and cuddly" :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well Im not surprised that NASA might refer to it as a blanket, but this thing brought to mind "soft and cuddly" :lol:

Well... maybe not that soft... but it should keep you warm at night. :lol:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's a shot of the OMS pods with Donamy's ARCS pods:

New_orbiter_15.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks interesting.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Urwumpe: Quick Q on the OME NULL position: You mentioned it was 0/0. Is that like in the screenshot below? That has the OME in plain horizontal orientation, no pitch or yaw components, it points directly into the Orbiter X axis.

OME_NULL_position.jpg

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
And for my next trick.

Attachments

• frcs.jpg
    frcs.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 260

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Very nice! You should really update your textures.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another !

Attachments

• newnose.jpg
    newnose.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 268