Space Shuttle Ultra 1.25 Revision B development

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
BTW, the tanking problem has been fixed (although I haven't checked the code in yet).
Thanks for fixing it. I got some shots of the actual PC-GOAL display used to monitor the tanking process, if wanted.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks for fixing it. I got some shots of the actual PC-GOAL display used to monitor the tanking process, if wanted.

PC-GOAL? Is there something more known about it?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I really don't think 95% of people who download SSU, will even care about tanking procedures, or the like. Maybe we could release a lite version first.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Both, I read a lot about GOAL, and looked into making it an orbiter library, but it was a tiny bit old in most aspects.
These are the two images I have of ET loading PC-GOAL display:

In slow-fill on both LH2 and LOX:
C11a.jpg

In fast-fill on both LH2 and LOX:
C12.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I really don't think 95% of people who download SSU, will even care about tanking procedures, or the like. Maybe we could release a lite version first.

I think you are right there, but 95% of the Shuttle behavior that these people care about will be wrong, if we don't have a properly wired ET below the orbiter. At least the instrumentation and actuators do matter, maybe not the exact process of tanking.

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

BTW, they published new material about GOAL, or at least, the new search algorithm at NTRS makes it possible to find it... like a description of the interpreter.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19740007777_1974007777.pdf

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think you are right there, but 95% of the Shuttle behavior that these people care about will be wrong, if we don't have a properly wired ET below the orbiter. At least the instrumentation and actuators do matter, maybe not the exact process of tanking.
True. And the critical Low-Level Cut-Off(LLCO) sensors are in the ET and they're always checked out during the countdown. Before being a problem on STS-114, the normal checkout was at T-2 hrs, 25 mins.

Following the July 13 scrub, they decided to test them earlier, during ET loading shortly after they started reading WET.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think this goes now a tiny bit far into the details... we have not even proper inflight failures yet, don't you think it is not a bit too early for preflight failures?

We need the sensors, badly. But during flight, when something happens that should not happen.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd be willing to run interference, when people have problems, only fair since alot of the problems will be my mission addons. :facepalm:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I checked in a new and improved VAB texture. It looks much better now!

New_VAB_texture.jpg

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Well, I'm part of the 5% that would be interested in proper tanking procedures.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If any of you want, I can make a modern day VAB texture.

Interceptor

Reaction score
I agree with n72.75 I would also like proper tanking procedures,so I guess that makes me part of the 5% also.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If any of you want, I can make a modern day VAB texture.

Would be fine. I can sure find a way to select the modern texture from the right date on.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Would be fine. I can sure find a way to select the modern texture from the right date on.
Checked it in. This texture is for the VAB starting with 2009.

---------- Post added 03-09-12 at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-08-12 at 08:36 PM ----------

I've wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how to calculate the required roll angle. Now I've got that figured out (I think), and I'm hoping to have working code in a few days.

BTW, the tanking problem has been fixed (although I haven't checked the code in yet).
How is this work coming along?

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Slowly. I haven't had the time to do much work on SSU for a few days.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Slowly. I haven't had the time to do much work on SSU for a few days.
How is the roll calculation going? Working good? In that case, I think a check in is in order as we have good guidance and nav. Control will be up to the CDR which is a good compromise in my book.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

Noticed a bug with the flight deck being not rendered when in any of the payload bay/RMS camera views:

Invisible_Flight_deck.jpg

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Checked in a document that details the design and development of the Ku band Deployed Assembly(DA) and its gimbals. Maybe it will be interesting once we get started on the Ku band system.

---------- Post added 03-12-12 at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-11-12 at 09:33 PM ----------

Checked in a document that details the design and development of the Ku band Deployed Assembly(DA) and its gimbals. Maybe it will be interesting once we get started on the Ku band system.
I have started to give the Ku band DA a make-over based on the drawings in that document and various photos.

Donamy: I could need some help creating the gimbal lock structure that sits on top of the beta gimbal as well as the foil that covers the gimbal mount on the DEA.

Endeavour_Ku_band_DA.jpg

Ku_band_DA_WIP1.jpg

Ku_band_DA_WIP2.jpg

Ku_band_DA_WIP3.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

One more showing the DA gimbal lock structure. Took quite a bit of work and research to get this one right. Now only the cabling between the crew module and DEA, the dish and DEA gimbal mount remains.

Ku_band_DA_WIP4.jpg